Author Topic: transfer request  (Read 9849 times)

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: transfer request
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 06:10:42 PM »
Ive done the drive to the southeast Phoenix area 3 times in the past month and it's not too bad.  i have a friend in Chandler who would love to get involved in CAS and I  think he has the stuff to shoot GAF at least in a civililian class.  Funny thing is I don't shoot in the milspec class myself.  but GAF accepts me anyway and i have a great time.  I have yet to make contact with any of the phoenix area clubs to see where a good place would be. 

I Will be driving back to Nebraska for the Dept of Mo Mujsxt the end of July if anyone wants to tag along. 
I'll be gone about 11 days and will be bring my daughter and another truckand trailer load of stuff back though.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Jack N. Water

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 08:36:34 PM »
If you cant find a match on this list then you out of luck.

http://www.riosaladocowboys.com/AZ%20Monthly%20CAS%20Matches.pdf

SASS 86688
GAF 756
NRA
RATS 604

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 10:04:27 PM »
There is no shortage of great SASS clubs in this part of the territory.  Almost any weekend day i dont have to work i can find a match within a 2 or 3 hour drive.  

What I think would be great would be to find a SASS club that would let us add the GAF battle rifle classes or a range to start a regular GAF style muster.  I am confident this is possible but I know to go slow.  Heck I've only bee to one club so far cause of work.  Hoping to get to more soon and get to know more of you.
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:45:39 PM »

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 01:05:22 AM »
Most of the clubs I've been too are scared to allow the GAF battle rifle class because of the "rifle caliber" being used at such close distances.   I talked to them, most said "well, we'll see if you get more of ya" but definitely had apprehension about 45-70s going to town on their close targets.  The two I've been two, the rifle targets seemed awfully close for me, way inside of 30 yards.

Haymaker, I know the Ben Avery complex has everything we could possibly dream of, only problem is I haven't been there in a CAS environment yet.  That, and I have no idea how much, or how hard it would be to set up there.  It is in a good regional location though.

If you're ever in the northern part of the state, basically Camp Verde or norther, give me a call.  We'll share some "smoke and joke" and a cup o joe on me. 
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 06:45:51 PM »
I know the "rifle caliber"  can be a concern on close targets.  What we have to remind people is that GAF limits to the same max velocities as SASS.  and not everyone shoots a .45-70.  I still shoot the ame rifels that I use for SASS,  and there are more and more Krags showing up also. 
If we could get a GAF muster set up we would move the rifle targets out farther.  I've seen rifle targets out to 100 yards plus at the musters I've been to.  I think a good norm for gaf rifle targets is 15-25 yards though.  if the targets are at least 1/2 inch and angled down correctly, there should be no problem with target damage or splashback. 
I've got some 2gun GAF type stages from a mini-muster i did in NE NEbraska a couple of years ago. 
I might try to  contact some of the phoenix area ranges and see what would need to be done.

i think I will take this over to a new thread to see what kind of responxe we can get.

Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 01:03:01 AM »
i've talked to em about that, they're concerned about the weight at 1000fps.  Those trapdoors are still shooting 350plus grain charges, definitely not a "gamer load" by any means.

It's funny, but Haymaker, we could do what I've heard of as a "Buffalo Bill Cody/Billy Dixon" style CAS shoots here with our rifles, a 38 trapper and my spencer going out to 100 yards ;D  it's a ton of fun trying to hit those 4" clays out that far!

Good idea about a new thread, I was thinking the same thing.  Maybe just do a "call to arms" or something as the title, see how many people want a strictly GAF event here in Az.  I know we have the places to do it, and we have about 40 registered members.
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 10:54:26 AM »
I have done demonstrations at a few clubs.  What I do, is ask them to let me shoot one target with my Trapdoor and Krag.  Then they can inspect it.  If the rounds cause any damage, I will buy them a new target.  There's never been any damage, and I've never bought a target yet.  Then I offer my rifles to anyone who wants to try them.  Thats usualy all it takes.  

You can also remind them that the .56-50 Spencer is a SASS Legal round, with its 350 grain bullet.  If their targets won't take a Trapdoor round, they won't take the Spencer round either.

Of course, the trapdoor has knocked a target over now and then . . .

Cody-Dixon style is also an excellent way to go.  All you really need are two additional rifle targets per stage set further out, widely spaced.  Most clubs have extra targets laying around, and you can always offer to buy a few more over time.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 10:23:58 AM »
OK moderators, an ou help? I want to atart a new theread on GAF in Arizona but I would like to use the later few posts form this thread as that is where it has headed.
NOt sure how to migrate these posts into a new topic.  can ya help?
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com