Author Topic: Krag parts....Sources?  (Read 961 times)

Offline Ironbadger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Krag parts....Sources?
« on: January 25, 2023, 05:39:09 AM »
So I wound up with a really nice receiver for an 1898 Krag, and a new made stock that I assume someone cut down to make a carbine and then changed their mind.

At the moment I have no other parts, and plan to just buy stuff a little at a time till I have enough parts to build a Krag rifle.

I've been building guns from collected parts since the late 80s. So yeah, I know what I am doing. :)

I have several sources of parts, but I am sure I don't have all the companies that have surplus Krag parts and thought I'd ask if anyone knows any obscure dealers I might not know of.

I already have a list of stuff to buy from Numrich, and I'm regularly checking both Ebay and gun broker.

I'm also interested in any parts folks might have they don't need....With the proviso that its going to be late February before I have cash again.

I am also looking for used Krag dies and brass.
And maybe any loose krag related stuff that piques my interest....Though my budget is limited.

Thanks.

-Badger-

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Krag parts....Sources?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 08:19:22 AM »
Search "Krag Rifle" on ebay.  You'll be amazed.  I built an entire rifle from parts off ebay.

Also S&S firearms,  Granpa's gun parts, Gunbroker. 

Lee makes Krag dies.  Several sets on ebay again.   Grafs has Krag brass off and on, keep checking.  Gunbroker has Krag brass listed.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 10:21:42 PM »
Remember Springfield Sporters too for parts. And let me check at work if we have the 30-40 brass I cleaned last week in stock.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:03:30 AM »

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 10:45:13 AM »
Drydock has covered the best sources.  Regimental Quartermaster has some Krag parts.  I'd also check any of the used part places.  A lot of times they'll have a few Krag parts, sometimes not even listed.  Ask what they have.  Gun shows can provide some, too.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Ironbadger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 03:28:04 PM »
Gun shows have always been my favorite source for gun parts.

Sadly, I live in southern California where gun shows have mostly been driven out.

And so many of the surplus gun companies I used to love have bit the dust.

Theres also shotgun news classifieds- got a lot of obscure parts from there over the years.

I take a long view on acquiring parts for projects, and I'm patient.

And its really nice to find new sources I had not previously known about.  :)

-Badger-

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 02:17:25 PM »
Remember Springfield Sporters too for parts. And let me check at work if we have the 30-40 brass I cleaned last week in stock.

I believe they went the way of the DoDo several years ago after the proprietor passed, and the inventory was purchased by other parts dealers.

Offline 38OVI

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 12:35:19 PM »
Not exactly on the topic, so put it where it should belong, please.
Awhile back it was mentioned that Krags were used in WW I in Europe.  Doing some research on another topic for a museum patron, I came across the following slice of information:

"We were distinctly better off for rifles, having 600,000 late-model Springfields, the best military rifle exant, and ample ammunition in our arsenals when we entered the war.  All our Divisions went across with their own rifles, though some had to be equipped with obsolescent Krag-Jorgensenstemporarily.  Divisions that trained with the British used the English Enfield rifle for the time being, because of the difference in ammunition.     

A.E.F Ten Years Ago in France by Major General Hunter Liggett   Dodd, Mead and Company  New York  1928    PP 317-318

Offline Ironbadger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 10:03:44 AM »
I now have most of my parts.
Thanks all.

I even managed to locate 100 rounds of primed Hornady Krag brass.

Got a 100 round box of Remington 220 grain, round nose soft point bullets at a gun show here, and a half pound of powder suitable for them.

Just need a trigger guard and screws, a suitable barrel and a bolt.
Well... Upper and lower bands as well- but theres tons of those on ebay.

I have sources for all of what I need, so I should be good as I manage to free up a bit more cash to buy them.

Thanks everyone who offered sources and opinions.

-Badger-

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com