Author Topic: Expansion Era Guardsman  (Read 5533 times)

1961MJS

Expansion Era Guardsman
« on: February 27, 2017, 05:47:01 PM »
Hi

So, I own a level action in .45-70 that I'm working up a load for, but with 300 grain jacketed bullets.  Is that acceptable for Expansion Era and the targets?  I'm using 3031 if that makes much difference.  I COULD move over to 405 grain lead, but that's not my long term preference for this rifle.

I also have a .45LC that  I would also have to work up a load for. 

I own 1911's that would be acceptable under the rules.  Using a 1911 would mean that I should be dressed for 1912.  What "uniform" using the term VERY loosely would some poor Militia member be given with a brand new Pistol and a 25 year old never issued to anybody ever, lever gun?

I didn't consider the EEM until I read the rules and thought, Hey, I own those...  The .45-70 was sort of a love at first sight thing, while the purpose of the 1911 is As-Issued at the CMP Matches.

Later Y'all

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Expansion Era Guardsman
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 06:17:34 PM »
The jacketed loads would be fine for the long range precision stage, but not for the others.  (They put holes in the targets!)  The long range targets are full size AR500 steel.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

1961MJS

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 06:49:25 PM »
Thanks

If memory serves, long range is 15 shots plus sighters, 5@100, 5@200, 5@300.  How many for the basic match?  I suppose I could get another few boxes of Winchester 405 lead rounds that I've been sighting in the Sharps with.  I'll look at getting some rounds together for the .45 LC also.  My load work up priority is Cavalry Sharps, 1886 Winchester clone, then loads for three different .38 specials. 

::)

Mike

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:28:26 AM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 06:52:02 PM »
30 rounds for the EEM skirmish match.  20 if you don't miss.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 07:00:44 PM »
In 1917 the Signal Corp issued Winchester 94s to men guarding northwestern logging camps, for the spruce used in aircraft manufacture at that time.  The Spruce trees were considered a Strategic asset.  So a Lever action does make sense in that era.

What Price Glory has the uniforms that would have been used at that time.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 04:52:51 AM »
What Price Glory has the uniforms that would have been used at that time.
As does Coon Creek.

This is your first time at the Grand Muster don't expect that you'll be perfect. You'll probably end up tweeking things after you get home. The main thing is to come, learn, and HAVE FUN! Just don't wear tennis shoes, a Tee shirt and ball cap. ;)
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

1961MJS

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 07:00:19 PM »
As does Coon Creek.

This is your first time at the Grand Muster don't expect that you'll be perfect. You'll probably end up tweeking things after you get home. The main thing is to come, learn, and HAVE FUN! Just don't wear tennis shoes, a Tee shirt and ball cap. ;)
My main worry now is the beet stew, I should have bought marroon pants and shirt. 

Mike

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 04:36:44 AM »
 ;D I think you're going to do just fine! ;D  8)
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 07:47:28 PM »
For the uniform, you may want to look at this thread.
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,599.0.html

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 02:17:30 AM »
Only beets I 'member seeing at a muster was in the red flannel hash, wish I had time to garden yet.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 10:05:00 AM »
Review Silver Creek Slim's link as posted above.

The Home Guard was vastly different from the National Guard in uniform, weaponry and equipage.

The M1911 would have appeared as a magazine article in 'Arms and the Man' and that's as close as a Guardsman would've gotten to one, and no one was guarding the spruce trees, because they didn't know they might have to - they were just spruce trees at that time and not war materiel.

The common weapon was a shotgun, though Model 1894 Winchesters do appear in photos.

The National Guard wouldn't've had much better - their uniforms would've been closer to SAW-issue than anything, and the Trapdoor rifle was in universal issue across the states, with Colt .DA .38s filling the very few holsters available.

The only way the National Guard got plussed up was 'federalization' for the Mexican Border and subsequent Great War, when they all got the latest uniforms and gear - much like today.

Postwar, the NG kept what the Regulars gave them - some of their M1911s, they would keep until turned in for M9s in the late 1980s.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

1961MJS

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 11:58:35 PM »
Hi

Just thought of something.  Am I supposed to be shooting lead in the 1911?  Both my as issued for CMP Rock Island and my Service Pistol  1911 shoot 230 FMJ.  Is that a problem too or is it just jacketed rifle bullets?

Thanks

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 03:40:20 AM »
Yes, your pistol rounds must be lead.

1961MJS

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 03:51:40 PM »
Yes, your pistol rounds must be lead.

Hi again, I know I'm having trouble with the .45-70 loads, and I have no clue what will happen with the .45 ACP.  My 1911's are all tuned to a load, the service pistol is tuned to 230 grain FMJ Winchester White Box.  I have enough 185 LSWC loads to give that a try.  

My major pain is the 1886 load.  I have IMR 3031 and the Lyman book doesn't even show a lever action load for the 405 grain lead bullet for that powder.  I asked on the 1886 forum and didn't find out much on the reloading forum.  The IMR online loads seemd really high, 51 grains to 55 grains, and that IS the lever gun pages, not the Ruger #1 and 3 pages.  I don't have, but may order a box of 300 grain lead, but the Lyman book has loads for 292 and 330 grain lead, but the 292 load doesn't show 3031 either.  I hate working up a load that I won't want to reload (I shoot the 405 grain in the Sharps and the bullets are the same, but the actions aren't...).  

Grumble, Grumble..

I reread the upper section of the post, I could probably get enough factory lead for the 1886 for the match, I have Federal headstamp from the factory, That would save me working up a load. Might shoot the SAA for all of it.

Later

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 04:13:24 PM »
Do you have any Trail Boss?  Thirteen grains under a 405 grain bullet makes an EXCELLENT load for what we do.  For long range rifle you may want to load it up a bit, but the Trail Boss load will work for that, too.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 07:22:38 PM »
For our regular stages, you should look at Trapdoor level loads, lead bullets maximum velocity about 1300fps. I doubt that 3031 will be useful at that low pressure level.

If your 1911 is tuned for 230gr hardball, it should work with the same loads with 230gr hard cast round nose. Mine works fine with them. It won't eat 185gr SWC at all. Totally stock Springfield GI 1911.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com