Author Topic: What is considered a GAF event?  (Read 9727 times)

Offline Big Hext

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What is considered a GAF event?
« on: March 16, 2006, 03:22:38 PM »
Howdy,

If I was to try and help host a match down this way.. what would/should the event be like?  I realize the Muster is the big daddy and really don't want to do more than a one day event.

Adios,

Thank you for being you.. Annie Lee!

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: What is considered a GAF event?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 03:36:22 PM »
Our musters & Color guard marching at Hell On Wheels have been considered events.
MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 03:37:16 PM »
Our musters & Color guard marching at Hell On Wheels have been considered events.

MG

I dunno why this posted again.  The computer screen went out & now it's posted twice.

??????
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:22:56 AM »

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 04:11:54 PM »
I would consider a GAF event to be something along the following:

A one or two day match based on the GAF Muster: a single pistol and rifle only with stages based on military battle or skirmish.  Most of the stages to have at least one full reload for at least one of the firearms.  Participants encouraged to wear military uniform (authentic or Hollywood)

A long-range match using military issue longarms: Sharps, Springfields, Krags, Martini-Henry, etc (no civiilian style lever actions, buffalo rifles, target rifles).  Participants encouraged to wear military uniform (authentic or Hollywood).

A side-match at a major regional match based on either of the two concepts above.  As a side-match, uniforms would not be an issue.

Provide a UNIFORMED color guard at a SASS, NCOWS, NSSA, or other type of shoot; for a social event such as a dinner or ball; or as part of a living history program; or at a convention.

Put on a living history program or lecture about the Victorian-era military.  Discuss the history, uniforms, weapons, etc to the public.  Participants encouraged to wear authentic military uniform

A ball, banquet, or dance put on for GAF members and their guests.  Participants encouraged to wear military uniform (authentic or Hollywood)

Point of clarification on the uniforms: The GAF encourages the wearing of a Victorian-era military uniform at our events, or even when you are participating in another CAS/WAS venue, such as NCOWS or SASS.  However (and this should come as no surprise) whether a "Hollywood" uniform is permitted will depend on where the shoot is held, not GAF rule.  For example, NCOWS requires authentic attire and the Hollywood look is not allowed.  SASS makes no such distinction.  Therefore if you hold a Mini-Muster or long-range match at a NCOWS range (or club), the uniform requirements will be more strict than if you hold it at a SASS range.

These are only a few ideas that I've been promoting, and I'm sure there are others.  If you have another idea in mind, toss it in my direction for consideration.  As long as it brings no discredit on the GAF I'll probably approve it.

The basic idea is for us to gather together, to have fun, to educate ourselves and the public, and to promote the GAF.  Within our ranks we have shooters, reenactors, skirmishers, living historians, and general interest enthusiasts.  We should be able to put on a variety of interesting events not only for our own enjoyment but for others as well.

US Scout
Bvt Brig. Gen.
GAF, Commanding

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 04:18:24 PM »
I note that Dr Bob is putting on a side-match at the KVC shoot in May, and Lou Graham is doing the same at the SASS NE Regional. 

This is exactly what I want to see happen in all the Departments.  In a few years, I'd like to see these side-matches develop into one-day Mini-Musters.  Every Department should be considering how to put on their own Mini-Muster so that those who can't make the trip to the Grand Muster (did I just coin a new name?), can do so at the regional level.

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen
GAF, Commanding

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 06:02:44 PM »
US Scout, with your approval sir, I will try to put on some GAF side matches at the Blue River Regulators monthly shoots this year,pending approval by the Blue River Officers.

Your servant
                                                                    Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Lou Graham

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 06:10:55 PM »
I'm working a postal shoot side match (pending Pitspitr's approval) for the New England Regional.  The format and distance and everything is already laid out. (KISS for my 1st effort)

That might work for those trying to come up with side match opportunities this spring.
Soot Lady
You can never be too thin, too rich or have too much ammo

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 05:30:47 AM »
Quick Fire,

Approval granted.  Please keep me informed as to how these are accepted.

US Scout
Bvt Brig. Gen.
GAF, Commanding

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 05:40:33 AM »
Lou,

KISS is perfect.  I prefer to start small and build up rather than try and put on a major effort and have it fall flat. If it brings GAF to people's attention in a postive light, and everyone has fun shooting the stage, then I count it as a major success. 

Based on input here in the forum, and some PMs I've received, I'm very pleased to see the GAF beginning to move forward at the local level.  Our forum is great for exchanging ideas and information, but if we are to be a credible and viable organization, we need to be doing things like side-matches, mini-musters, living history programs, etc.  GAF is what we make of it.

US Scout
Bvt Brig. Gen.
GAF, Commanding

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 09:43:07 AM »
I need to make something very clear with regard to our uniform requirements at GAF events.

The GAF encourages the wearing of a Victorian-era military uniform at our events, or even when you are participating in another CAS/WAS venue, such as NCOWS or SASS.  No one is required to buy or wear a uniform, but we do highly encourage it since our goal is to honor the Victorian-era military.

On the whole, I'm pleased to say that most of our uniformed members tend toward the authentic rather than the Hollywood look, but just as we do not require anyone to buy or wear a uniform, we will not dictate how authentic anyone must be.

However, we are sometimes restricted as to what is allowed based on the venue of our activity, particularly if the local club is co-hosting our event.  We will probably be required to use their safety rules, so consequently we will also extend that courtesy toward our acceptable attire, firearms, and conduct.

If we are holding a match or providing a color guard co-hosted by a SASS club, then you can use John Ford as your primary reference as to what the Army wore on the frontier and wear a "Hollywood" uniform if you want.

If we are holding a match or providing a color guard co-hosted by an NCOWS posse (such as our last two Grand Musters), then we will abide by their rules, which means the uniform must be reasonably authentic.  Contrary to what some SASS members say, no one in NCOWS is going to count stitches, but they will draw the line at the John Ford idea of a cavalry uniform.  In this case, the John Wayne (the Duke wore/shot/used it, so I can to) rule doesn't apply.

If we are doing something completely on our own, such as holding a banquet for GAF members and their guests, or at a range where we have the option, then the Hollywood look can be used by any who desires. 

US Scout
Bvt Brig. Gen.
GAF, Commanding

Offline Big Hext

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 11:54:50 AM »
So I can clarify, for my own needs...
If a GAF match is held, it can pretty much be anything.  All shooting, some shooting, no shooting.  Clothing can be Scout/Civilian all the way to Museum quality uniforms. 

Seems easy enough, nice broad parameters.
Adios,

Thank you for being you.. Annie Lee!

Offline Cannon Fodder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 01:58:39 PM »
US Scout,

Thanks  for your ideas on what constitutes a GAF event.  I have  made a copy of it  and will take it to the mulecamp cowboys tomorrow  for their monthly shoot and see what they think.  Maybe some kind of a side match for the  the " big  SASS Mulecamp event."  I am a member of SASS and the Mulecamp  Cowboys, but have been "dormant" in SASS for the last 5 years doing  "war between the states" dismounted cavalry and artillery impressions. However, because of my age (66) I am trying to "come back to  SASS  as a 4th US Artillery quartermaster sergeant of the late 1860s-early 1880s. I am also trying to bring some  of my  Civil War( oh -oh , I said that  forbidden word!) reenactor and maybe some NSSA  artillery  friends into  SASS/GAF.

Will let you know how it turns out

Best,canno fodder

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 02:30:36 PM »
I attended a Birthday Celebration marking the 230th birthday of our Beloved Marine Corps last November, the week after the GAF Muster.  I wore my 1890's-era Marine Corps 1st Sgt's Dress uniform that I had worn at the Muster Banquet.  I received many compliments and answered many individuals' questions, including those about CAS, NCOWS and the GAF, but did not give a "presentation" as such.  Don't know if that would really count as a "GAF Event", or not.  I often dress in my Span-Am War Marine field uniform when shooting at my local club matches.  I have yet to shoot clean doing so!
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 06:26:52 AM »
I attended a Birthday Celebration marking the 230th birthday of our Beloved Marine Corps last November, the week after the GAF Muster.  I wore my 1890's-era Marine Corps 1st Sgt's Dress uniform that I had worn at the Muster Banquet.  I received many compliments and answered many individuals' questions, including those about CAS, NCOWS and the GAF, but did not give a "presentation" as such.  Don't know if that would really count as a "GAF Event", or not.  I often dress in my Span-Am War Marine field uniform when shooting at my local club matches.  I have yet to shoot clean doing so!

Guns,

I commend you for wearing your 1890's Marine Corps uniform to the Marine Corps Birthday Celebration, but I have to say that this was not a GAF event, any more than when I and Sweetwater Jack wore a variety of uniforms on the SASS Delta Queen Cruise this spring.

A GAF Event is something that either the GAF puts on for itself (such as the Grand Muster), or sponsors on behalf of the GAF as part of another program (such as a side match at a local or regional match, or living history program at a historical site, or a historical presenation as part of another program).  I would count putting up a GAF recruiting table or booth at a gun show or convention, though.

Had you been scheduled and given a presentation (lecture) on the Marines in the Spanish-American War, and identified yourself as a member of the GAF while doing so, then I would say that would have counted as a GAF event, but not just talking about the GAF in general conversation, as I'm sure all of us have done at one time or another.

Good luck on shooting clean while wearing a uniform - I have yet to do that myself!

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen
GAF, Commanding

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 06:35:44 AM »
Thanks  for your ideas on what constitutes a GAF event.  I have  made a copy of it  and will take it to the mulecamp cowboys tomorrow  for their monthly shoot and see what they think.  Maybe some kind of a side match for the  the " big  SASS Mulecamp event."  I am a member of SASS and the Mulecamp  Cowboys, but have been "dormant" in SASS for the last 5 years doing  "war between the states" dismounted cavalry and artillery impressions. However, because of my age (66) I am trying to "come back to  SASS  as a 4th US Artillery quartermaster sergeant of the late 1860s-early 1880s. I am also trying to bring some  of my  Civil War( oh -oh , I said that  forbidden word!) reenactor and maybe some NSSA  artillery  friends into  SASS/GAF.

Cannon Fodder,

Welcome back to the fold, so to speak.  We all have our own priorities as to what we want to do with our time.  While I enjoy shooting CAS, I also like to slip back into the 18th century sometimes and shoot my flintlocks, and sometimes my activities as a Boy Scout leader take precedence over shooting (hard to believe, but true!). 

Good luck on your recruiting efforts.  NCOWS recruiters are going to attend the NSSA Nationals in May at Ft Shenandoah.  I will be there to not only pitch NCOWS but the GAF as well.  An NSSA skirmisher who studies the military history of the 1860s fits well within the GAF mission, so we may pick up some additional recruits, especially if they can get to the 2006 Grand Muster.

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen
GAF, Commanding

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 05:51:21 PM »
I'm working a postal shoot side match (pending Pitspitr's approval) for the New England Regional.  The format and distance and everything is already laid out. (KISS for my 1st effort)

That might work for those trying to come up with side match opportunities this spring.
As an update on this, Capt. Graham and I spoke the other night on the phone about doing a "postal match" at the regional. I denied her request based on the fact that the postal matches were to be used when GAF members cannot meet face to face for a match. Since this match was to occure at an established shoot, it defeated the purpose. However; I did reccomend, and Capt. Graham agreed, that the the GAF Marksmanship Qualification Standard Course of Fire could be substitued (since it's the same course as the postal shoot anyway) and would work well. Then any new GAF members who scored over 85% would be awarded the GAF Marksmanship award.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 05:53:00 AM »
Excellent idea.

For some reason, that is what I thought Bvt Capt Graham had in mind when she mentioned doing a "postal match" at the regional.  I thought she meant a course of fire based on the GAF Marksmanship qualifications - which it now appears is what will happen.

This should make an outstanding side match.

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen
GAF, Commanding

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com