Author Topic: Bunkhouse special  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bunkhouse special
« on: September 16, 2021, 05:41:33 PM »
My great grandfather's gun rig was a "bunkhouse special" These were locally made by harness makers who have scrap leather.  The cartridge belt is about 1 1/2" wide with a square. clipped corner center bar buckle- typical of the time.  The loops are the "in and out" type- one long leather strap snaked in and out of holes and the entire length of the belt- 28 loops.  The holster is a typical double loop of the day.

I have always seen these rigs were the buckle was slide under the holster such that cartridges, in loops were right in the front.  I always wondered about that but I made a replica and I instantly realized that the belt with cartridges doesn't fit very well under the holster- that's why the buckle was slid over to that area.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Bunkhouse special
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 07:49:53 PM »
That sounds like a cool rig. Do you have a photo of it?

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 08:02:50 AM »
It depends on how generous the loop area is cut but many mexican loop style holsters have plenty of room to slide over cartridges. That said, the woven style loops stick out a good bit from the belt whereas sewn belt loops hug the belt and make it easier for the holster to slide over.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:13:33 AM »

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 08:27:36 AM »
Interesting. Would love to see any photos of it.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 09:18:04 AM »
Unfortunately I'm sort of "photo challenged" but as soon as I figure out how I'll post.  What I was trying to point out is occasionally you'll see an old photo and the cartridge belt has been rotated so that there are loops right in front- where the belt buckle ought to be located. I never could figure out why, just thought a "thing" done at the time.  When I recreated the rig, using the original as a patterns- yes- I could wear it with loops inside the holster bend but it was more comfortable to rotate the belt so that the buckle ended up in the holster bend (between pouch and skirt).  I learned why such was done years ago.

Offline Oldgold

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 11:10:10 AM »
Some western movies you’ll see them worn with cartridges to the front. Actually, it makes more sense and easier to get to. 

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 09:15:46 AM »
This month's magazine- "Guns of the old West" has several photos of the belts worn that way.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 10:00:28 AM »
Many authentic old photos you don't see the buckle. It's somewhere in the back or on the side. I seldom wear mine with the buckle in front, I actually usually put the buckle beside or under the holster so I have access to all the cartridge loops.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 01:19:11 PM »
That's what I figured. A 45 Colt cartridge sticks out quite a ways, I figure they slid the buckle under the holster.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com