Author Topic: WTB: revolver for GAF  (Read 1407 times)

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
WTB: revolver for GAF
« on: July 16, 2023, 09:07:18 AM »
Before I yield to impulse on Gunbroker, I figured I'd check here.  The change jar is full and I'm once again looking for a revolver for GAF/NCOWS.  (Civilian impression for GAF, so I have some wiggle-room on caliber.)  Do any GAF members personally have for sale/trade an Uberti or Centaure 1860 Army (or shootable/restorable original), or a 38 caliber or larger blackpowder-framed SAA clone (or shootable/restorable original)?  If so, maybe we can work something out, cash or trade.

Thanks,
Jim 

In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Sedalia Dave

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99699
  • NCOWS #: 3836
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 176
Re: WTB: revolver for GAF
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2023, 03:28:42 PM »
 I have a 44 cal 1860 made by Pietta. Has been tuned and the factory nipples replaced with TRESO nipples. Gun is set up to use Remington #10 or CCI #11 caps. Few scratches and dings but a good reliable shooter.

$350 Shipped

Offline Sedalia Dave

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 03:34:37 PM »

In the cartridge gun category I have three 1872 Ubertis in 38 Special. $550 shipped for one or a pair for $1000 shipped. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:45:19 PM »

Offline Sedalia Dave

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2023, 03:35:22 PM »
Pistol 2

Offline Sedalia Dave

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2023, 03:35:58 PM »
Pistol 3

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2023, 10:59:14 PM »
Thanks, but I'm really not interested in a Pietta, or in open tops.
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 08:14:59 AM »

An 1860 Cenature is an open top.
Lucky  ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2023, 08:55:28 PM »
Too bad I am located on the "wrong" side of the Medicine Line, since I have reached a point where I must make serious efforts to "thin the herd" and have one revolver which might form the basis of an imaginitive GAF civilian persona - a Model 1873 SAA Uberti (5.5" barrel. .45 Colt, BP frame) which I cased in the Colt London Agency style years ago -

For what it may be worth, here is a photo of a similar original London Agency cased SAA -

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2023, 05:55:41 PM »
The Medicine Line, like la Frontera, is a state of mind--and I can be pretty mindless at times.  (Wait, are you still an officer of the Court?  Forget I said that!) 

That is a nice looking set!  Hearing that you'll be thinning the herd is a sad thought; from what I recall of our discussions you have some interesting pieces in your collection.  For some of them, it might be worth the effort to export them to the US if cooperating dealers could be found.  I know of a couple of guys who've developed nice collections buying in the UK and importing from there, but I don't know how it would work from Canada. 

Did a little horse-trading today trying to get my hands on an original 1860 franken-shooter: shot the guy an offer, waiting to hear back. 

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2023, 05:21:11 PM »
My latest sidearm is a bit too late for use in the GAF and doesn't have the custom serial number befitting a GO.  ;)
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2023, 08:04:30 PM »
How about a Colt New Service in .455 Webley?
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2023, 11:11:33 AM »

Like this early example, with Canadian Dept. of Militia & Defence ownership markings, sold to the governmen’s purchading agent in 1900. Still would be suirable for a civilian persona, because men returning from Boer War service wre permitted to purchase rifles and revolvers issued to them.

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2023, 11:54:43 AM »

I'd be all over that
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2023, 07:25:17 PM »
Go for it Major!  I'm not a Colt DA fan.  Nice designs, but from a time when the expectation was that most shooting would be single-action.  I shoot my DAs double-action, and a lot. 

Used like that, replacing or refitting parts is normal maintenance . . . and new parts just aren't available.  Uberti's 1860s and SAAs hold up well to shooting, and I already have a stash of parts.  I just ordered an 1860, which will at least let me enter the postal matches. 

I've never liked the conversions or 1872(?) Opentops.  Part of it is a historical lack of use in my home stomping grounds.  As a kid I practically tripped over percussion guns that saw use into the 19-teens.  Those few folk around here who wanted a holster pistol that used metallic cartridges seemed to have gone with Colt SAAs or Smith & Wessons.  After the War to End All Wars, cartridge pistols were everywhere--but most of them were either S&Ws or they had more in common with Pitspitr's newest than with a good honest revolver. 

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1213
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2023, 08:16:41 PM »
Well, based on your time frame and preferences, hard to beat a good 'ol Cavalry model.  The Cimarron Uberti old model (BP frame) guns still have the original style hammer with no safety and 4 clicks.  Of course, the Piettas are 4 click but their Cavalry model doesn't have all the markings, if that matters to you.  No, this one is not for sale!  :)

Online Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2023, 01:15:51 PM »
Possibly a Smith & Wesson .44DA Frontier would meet your pre-1900 aspects. This one has proved up at Fort Jerry's Grand Muster a time or two.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2023, 08:24:31 PM »
If I have to, I'll break down and buy a Cavalry or Artillery model--but only if I can see it in hand before purchase, or trust the seller (hence my WTB post here, made after I had to return yet another Cimarron-allegedly-made-by-Uberti-but-OOPS!-it-is-Pietta Cavalry model).  Finally got a refund on the money, nothing for the time and opportunity lost.  The Uberti 1860 did arrive, and looks OK.  I'll get that foul-smelling oil off it, then start the tune-up and get it shooting in time for the September postal match.  I'll eventually need to find or replace my Johnson and Dow mould so I can do paper cartridges. 

Johnson Barr, I don't have much time on the trigger of the period S&Ws.  How do they hold up to shooting, say a couple thousand rounds a year of BP loads duplicating factory ballistics?  It looks like parts are made of unobtainium, so I'd prefer to avoid needing them. 

Online Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2023, 01:46:41 PM »
 I can't possibly tell you how well original 19th S&W revolvers hold up. My shooters are 147 years (my oldest) to 120 or so years along in their collective lives. Pistols are a lot like women; if you don't beat them up, they will last a whole lot longer. I hand load for my 'girls' and since factory loads haven't existed in longer than I've been alive, I load for accuracy of the original nonadjustable sights. Original, as well as, sights on replica revolvers tend to shoot notoriously high at normal competition distances.  If you plan to shoot for score original factory ballistics will let you down. Consistent tight groups with iron sights always comes down to bullet weight and powder type and charge. I don't do as well shooting Double Action as I once could. But then occasionally the Carpel Tunnel and degenerative Arthritis in my hands subsides long enough to shoot acceptably.   
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com