Author Topic: Liver Eatin' Johnson's knife  (Read 3691 times)

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Liver Eatin' Johnson's knife
« on: April 18, 2017, 07:27:27 PM »
Just returned from my first visit to the Alamo. They have a special Jim Bowie exihibit going on now with a lot of actual period knives on display. Also visited the Brisco Museum in San Antonio and the Bullock in Austin with more nice knives. When I got home I started looking at frontier knives on the web and came across Liver Eatin' Johnson's butcher knife and it looked a lot like my wife's Old Hickory butcher knife in the kitchen drawer. It being another rainy day and home without supervision, I took that knife out of the draw and put some elk scales on it, ground some finger grooves in the handle and reshaped the blade. It's not a dead ringer for Johnson's knife but it looks like  many of the knives I saw in Texas. The top knife is the Old Hickory, the middle is the Old Hickory Johnsonized and the bottom is Liver Eatin's actual Knife.   Jw
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Liver Eatin' Johnson's knife
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 10:53:04 PM »
I'm always so impressed the the creativity and ingenuity of people on this board. Excellent work.
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 02:13:43 PM »
Looks great.   To me the original blade profile looks like a Searless Bowie.   I do not remember them having a nearly full tang though.  I am guessing that profile was popular.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:48:16 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com