Author Topic: A Ciboleros buffalo hunting knife set and sheath….  (Read 7020 times)

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A Ciboleros buffalo hunting knife set and sheath….
« on: March 05, 2011, 05:01:20 AM »
The Ciboleros were the Spanish and mixed blood buffalo hunters of Northern New Mexico. They hunted buffalo for meat and robes on the Llano Estacado aka Staked Plains of North Texas, Eastern New Mexico, and SE Colorado. To learn more about these intrepid hunters here is a link and there is even more info available elsewhere for those interested in researching the subject.
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/poc02

The following pics show my vision of what one of these hunters might have personally carried as a skinning/meat cutting set. All blades are based on styles commonly available in the area during the 1820-1870’s period and the materials used for the sheath also match what would have available to the folks living then and there.
The beadwork on the cuff is an exacting copy of the beadwork on an original So Cheyenne pipe bag. The So Cheyenne along with the Kiowa, Comanches, Utes, and Jicarillas would have been the tribes that the Ciboleros would have most often interacted and traded with on their hunts.
The Skinner has a 5 7/8” long blade by Dennis Miles of Double Edge Forge who builds his knives using only the, materials, tools, and methods available to an 18th Century frontier blacksmith/cutler.
The Sticker has a 6 ½” blade re-shaped from a vintage John Russell Green River butcher knife blade from circa 1870’s. The blade was in relic condition with no handle along with a broken tip and tang so nothing historically valuable was ruined to make this piece.
The 6 3/8” blade of the Steel is from the mid-20th century.
All blades were re-handled using deer leg bone, pewter, buffalo calf skin rawhide, and linen cord for the sewing and the cord wraps.
The Sheath is deer rawhide over bark tan cow hide, with a brain tan deer hide beaded cuff. Besides the 8/0 glass pound beads decorating the edges and cuff, there are brass tacks and tin cone dangles with buffalo hair tufts. Brass beads and tin cones decorate the belt loop ties. The entire set was then given a patina of age – used but not abused……….

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
Re: A Ciboleros buffalo hunting knife set and sheath….
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 05:30:00 AM »
DANG....I still say I'd buy a book of just your photo's  :D  fine work too

I love that Possible bag too

broke my heart when I lost mine and horns, in the Garage/shop fire in Jan. I had it for over 25 years.   :'(
It was wonderfully warn in
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 02:28:20 AM »
Thank you major - I have posted pics of the pouch and anotehr one I recenlty finished in the leather section.

As for a book of photos - cost is the big factor so far, but I am working on getting set up to sell individual prints of just about any photo on my site - if you're interested PM or email me
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:11:16 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 02:35:02 AM »
I'm going to scour your site  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline James-G

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 04:47:27 PM »
Great work Chuck.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 05:52:57 PM »
Mr. Burrows - howdy, and thanks for posting these fantastic photos of your beautiful creations.

If I ever get the finances, I want you to make some things for me - your work is the best of it's type I've ever seen.  They are truly works of art, whether leather, bone, or steel.

I'd love to hang around your shop just to learn from a master.

... And no - I'm not trying to borrow any money or such ...

;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com