Author Topic: OOPS!! A hole in the side of my Henry!!  (Read 6962 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
OOPS!! A hole in the side of my Henry!!
« on: April 02, 2007, 06:38:25 PM »
Well Gents, I went and did it.
  I blew a hole right thru the side of my "1 of only 2" in the country, 16 inch barrel, Henry Trapper in .45 Colt.  It was some ugly.  I did discover though, when cleaned up, a Kings Patent loading gate assembly fit in the hole perfectly!!!  Imagine that!!!  I now have TWO Henry Transitional rifles and one is a TRAPPER.  Incredible!!!  Neat too.  That little gun is an absolute kick in the keester to shoot at a match!!

Wheeeeee!!!

Coffinmaker

Henry4440

Re: OOPS!! A hole in the side of my Henry!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 01:41:42 AM »
Did you make some pics?Would be interesting.
 ;)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 11:38:32 AM »
I've never looked into how to post photos!!!  I guess I need to learn that secret.

Working on it.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:21:56 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 11:57:39 AM »
Imagine that!!!   ;)

If you can email the photo I'll post it
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 09:02:57 PM »
 ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 10:58:24 PM »
I did discover though, when cleaned up, a Kings Patent loading gate assembly fit in the hole perfectly!!!  Imagine that!!!  I now have TWO Henry Transitional rifles and one is a TRAPPER.  Coffinmaker

Cool! ;D  And which King's Patent loading gate would that be?  The one they are putting in the Taylors Transitional or one like you find on the 1866? :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 06:24:52 PM »
If you open up the sideplate and install a 66 loading gate (spoon) don't you also need a 66 lifter to accept the side introduced round?

If you use a 66 magazine follower (rather than cutting up the Henry one) you won't have to do the "Henry Hop" when shooting it.  I would keep the original follower so it could be re-installed for front loading if desired......
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 09:02:02 PM »
OK, here goes .......
Grizzly, 
I went with the "original" Kings Patent gate, as is OEM on their "improved Henry."  It was actually the easiest to fit and required the least modification.  Still a bit of a job.  I was some shaky sweaty when I attacked the rifle with the hack saw .............. no replacement if I screwed it up.  It's a real sweet heart now.
Flint,
You could open the side plate and install a '66 ladle, but, there is more machine work involved than using the gate for the Taylors Rifle.  the '66 lifter could also be used, but it isn't flat on the bottom.  Doesn't look at all right.  Henry Carrier Block needs to be heavily modified to work as a side loader (I copied the one in my Taylors transitional).  The '66 follower won't work,  You have to have a "stop" for the follower.  There is no shoulder to stop the follower in the Henry frame, so the spring just spits the follower into the carrier block (don't ask how I found that out ;D).  Your stuck cutting the thumb button off the Henry follower (leave enough stub for a stop) and using it.  I did order another Henry follower from VTI but I don't expect to ever run the rifle as other than a Transitional.
I also modified the carrier to run .45 "Squirt" so the magazine now runs a full 10 rounds for match play.  This little rifle is hoot to play with.  With 10 rounds, and no Henry "hop" it is a kick at a match.

You really have to be seriously nuts to do this mod on the fly.  There is a lot of receiver to remove and if you get it wrong ............. I don't even want to think about that part.  I musta been knutz!!  I'll figgure ouot how to post pix.  Its a neat little gun (it's still heavy, it's a Henry!!).

Coffinmaker

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 11:38:32 PM »
Most excellent, Sir! ;D  I am surprised that the King's patent OEM gate is available.  That is encouraging, as it may mean that they are committed to making many more of these interesting variations!

I wish they would just get the T model out in 44-40.  I will never understand why the first release in some many of cowboy/traditional arms is in 45LC.  I have nothing against the 45, but 44WCF has a nicer or traditional ring to it! ::)

Thanks for the post. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 12:43:33 AM »
Grizzly,

I don't know about general availability of the original Kings Patent gate.  It took 7 months begging and pleading to get one.  I don't actually think it is available as a "part" yet.  I guess if your enough of a "pest" .............. Heck, I may never be able to get another one!!
But I do agree.  It's nice to see some of the "lesser" examples of the old guns.
I think the only reason for .45s to be "first" is there are a lot more .45 Colt shooters out here.  I don't personally shoot 44-40 but ...... if I was shooting the Holy Black, 44-40 or 38-40 is the best choice.  There are a couple of .44 Special Henry barrels left at Uberti, and I'm thinking of becoming a "pest" again to get a .44 Special CCH iron frame made up.  Shoot .44 Russian thru it.
Playing with guns is FUN!!!

Coffinmaker

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 07:47:11 AM »
Yes Coffinmaker. Go for it, be a pest in the proverbial .... of Giacomo Merlino at Uberti's and get a steel frame Henry in .44 Special. I love mine and feed it with a constant diet of .44 Colt only.
Would love to hear about your experience how the the Henry action likes the stubby .44 Russians. Couldn't get neither my .44 Special nor my converted .44 Colt Henry to cycle these shorter rounds reliably. But I never really followed that idea through as a project.
Bootsie
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 08:44:18 PM »
Bootsie,

There are two ways to get .44 Russian to feed thru a Henry.  First method is to extensively modify the Carrier Block.  You have to cut a rebate in the magazine face of the Breach Block and then move the cartridge return ramp back.  It is an extensive mod.  Second method is to drill and tap the side of the carrier block for a set screw to function as a cartridge stop.  You cut a matching slot in the side of the breach block to clear the set screw.  I do suggest having a spare Carrier Block or Breach block handy ......... just in case ...........

Coffinmaker

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 08:51:23 PM »
There are a couple of .44 Special Henry barrels left at Uberti, and I'm thinking of becoming a "pest" again to get a .44 Special CCH iron frame made up.  Shoot .44 Russian thru it.
Playing with guns is FUN!!!

Coffinmaker

:) 

Hey, good luck on those 44 specials.  I know a couple of fellas that would die for a Henry in 44 Spl.! :D
GAF

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 02:01:11 AM »
Coffinmaker: thanks for the additional info regarding the Henry conversion from .44 Special to .44 Russian. I guess I'll pass on this  one for the time being after you mentioned I should have a spare carrier block handy, with my two left hands you know...
Actually I am happy shooting .44 Colt through her. Since I can load 15 into the tube, cycle them through the unmodified action AND learnt that the original Henry did also hold 15 rounds of .44 Henry only...that's a lot of firepower for the lady.
But I would like to qualify my yesterdays' remarks regarding Uberti. I always found them very friendly, responsive and cooperative when it came to special order guns provided parts are available. In this case .44 caliber (.429) Henry barrels with .44 Special chambers. After talking to Giacomo Merlino about my steel Henry in .44 Special "all in black" it was just a few weeks til I got her, via their German distributor HEGE.
Grizzly Adams: I am certain Uberti would gladly assemble some more .44 Special caliber Henrys with steel frame at short notice for their US Henry aficionados, provided there are pre-chambered barrels left. But you probably need to place firm orders through one of their US importers/distributors?!
Bootsie
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 09:34:22 AM »
:) 

Hey, good luck on those 44 specials.  I know a couple of fellas that would die for a Henry in 44 Spl.! :D

I sent my Henry to Happy Trails (I understand he is on the mend) and he sleeved the chamber from .44-40 to .44 spl.  Goes great with my 66 and OTs in same.  Cost about $200 incl. S&H.  Well worth it!   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com