Author Topic: Help forming .45-75...  (Read 1402 times)

Offline gmkmd

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Help forming .45-75...
« on: February 15, 2022, 05:30:00 PM »
I just got a new Uberti '76 in .45-75.  I've been reading about forming the brass, but I'm a bit confused about the best way to do it.  Apparently, it can be done from .348 Winchester, .50 Alaskan, .50-90 Sharps, and .50-110 Winchester.  Some say you have to turn down the rims thinner, some say you don't.  Is there one best way to do this?  There are so many posting by guys who say, "Well, this is how I do it, because this is what I had on hand", but is there one of these four parent shells that is the closest to the .45-75?

ALSO; how can I tell if my rifle has the earlier, "oversized chamber", or the later "original chamber"?  Is there a known serial number range at which they changed the chamber specs?

Offline SiringoMN

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 16689
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Help forming .45-75...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 08:02:37 PM »
While I don’t have a 45-75, I faced the same dilemma with my 50-95. I ended up with 50-90 cases. My advice would be to contact Cimmeron Arms and buy their loaded ammo. While it is expensive, it will save you lots of time, work and heartache. Their brass is made by Quality Brass (?).

My friend has a 45-75 and had bought cases from Buffalo Arms and were 348 reforms. The web is to small and they are bulged.

I guess first of all, what brass can you get ahold of. There is nothing out there.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 11:15:35 PM »
I chose to form mine from Starline 50-90 brass. It turned out to be a long process, mainly in getting the rim to work well in my Uberti. I do have to thin them from the top, reduce the diameter and cut an extractor groove. It's a pain because I don't have a lathe. I made a mandrel to hold the case, then spin it in a drill press. I use a piece of hacksaw blade or a file. It's a slow process and takes a lot of measuring, but it does let me shoot my gun.  I can tell you that I'm careful not to damage my brass. I sure wish that Starline would do a run of .45-75...
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:59:23 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 07:05:06 AM »
That is some serious dedication. Griff ...understandable though, necessity being a mother and all  :)

Have you considered a Mini lathe?
 There is one made and comes under several brand names.  Of course, they are made in China  :-X
Grizzley, Vevor, Eastwood, Jet, Northern Tools and Harbor Freight are all the same unit just come in different brand colors.
Mine came from Harbor Freight and was just under $450 with a coupon including tax 2 1/2 years ago.

I've used it for turning brass,and made a firing pin for a 25-cal. pocket pistol out of twist drill bit shank.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VEVOR-Metal-Lathe-7-x-12-inch-Precision-Mini-2500-RPM-550W-Variable-Speed-Bench-Top-Working-Various-Types-Turning/994175278?athcpid=994175278&athpgid=AthenaItempage&athcgid=null&athznid=si&athieid=v0&athstid=CS055&athguid=gqccTrVpiY1Fh9okuqRYXvAEjZvhyOZhK3Bj&athancid=null&athposb=0&athena=true

Walmart even has a different offering under $200, that might work  :-\

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DIY-Tool-Metal-Motorized-Mini-Lathe-Machine-20000rev-min/225797787?athcpid=225797787&athpgid=AthenaItempage&athcgid=null&athznid=si&athieid=v0&athstid=CS004&athguid=sB7P6-As2EfQfAG5I1cv0KoQhXjsKXIOG1Yt&athancid=null&athena=true&athbdg=L1700

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline SiringoMN

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 09:49:13 AM »
Rim thickness is important to prevent undo wear on the action due to cam over. This takes a bit of time. I drew my case bases over a new sharp file. With the starline cases the head stamp remaining was minimal (for my rifle spec). Reducing the rim diameter is accomplished by spinning the case in a drill or drill press and using a file to reduce the diameter so the rim would fit in a 50 Alaskan shell holder (my gauge).

I do not know about the chamber spec on the 45-75 so your big question will be neck wall thickness.

If I count my labor at minimum wages, each case I made has a value of $8. I have contacted Cimmeron (on another matter) and the only ammo in stock is 45-60. Their backlog on ammo is tremendous and they do not know when more will be in. In fact they have 20000 guns on back order.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 12:46:05 PM »
That is some serious dedication. Griff ...understandable though, necessity being a mother and all  :)

Have you considered a Mini lathe?

Thanks for the suggestion. I may just start shopping around. It seems as if I'm always working around the fact that I don't have a lathe. Just working with brass, an inexpensive one would probably work great.

When I bought my rifle, Jamison was producing good brass. I bought quite a few, but if I'd have known that they were going out of business, I'd have bought a lot more. If I were starting all over again right now, I'd probably choose a different chambering, but I do like the .45-75. Maybe I wouldn't choose differently after all... You know, I haven't shot that gun in a while... It's not bad weather today... Maybe I'll go play outside.  ;D

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline SiringoMN

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 07:49:40 PM »
I’d agree with do it all over again. 45-60 it is.  ;D

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 08:35:57 PM »
Searching for sources of 45-75 WCF is something I think all of us with rifles so chambered do.  Couple of sources of brass, you may already know of them and if so sorry for repeating it here:

Roberson Cartridge Company:  https://www.rccbrass.com/product/45-75-winchester-centennial-2/

Rocky Mountain Cartridge:  http://rockymountaincartridge.com/products.htm

Roberson I have no experience with.  Rocky Mountain I have several pieces of brass from, and it is Good stuff. 

Neither of these sources are inexpensive But it is correct dimension and head stamp.  My experience with RMC so far is that is is very durable and works smoothly through the Uberti rifle.  Best of all, ready to load up out of the package.  Now I know reforming and fitting brass if fun too, but having ready to shoot brass helps keep your blood pressure down - at least for this old man!!! ;D

No matter how you go at it, the 45-75 is worth it when you get to shoot!!

hope this helps.

P.B.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 11:12:05 PM »
I’d agree with do it all over again. 45-60 it is.  ;D

Well, brass availability/price is really the only drawback for the .45-75. It is really a pretty cool cartridge. I love the way that it looks and it certainly hits with authority. I try to take care of my brass and anneal periodically to reduce case-mouth splits. Once they're formed they last a long time.

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2022, 06:22:10 AM »
I just got a new Uberti '76 in .45-75.  I've been reading about forming the brass, but I'm a bit confused about the best way to do it.  Apparently, it can be done from .348 Winchester, .50 Alaskan, .50-90 Sharps, and .50-110 Winchester.  Some say you have to turn down the rims thinner, some say you don't.  Is there one best way to do this?  There are so many posting by guys who say, "Well, this is how I do it, because this is what I had on hand", but is there one of these four parent shells that is the closest to the .45-75?

ALSO; how can I tell if my rifle has the earlier, "oversized chamber", or the later "original chamber"?  Is there a known serial number range at which they changed the chamber specs?

I used 348 winchester brass for my Uberti - annealed them, neck expanded (3 steps) I went to .375 then to .401 then to .459 - I made expanders with a long taper lead from bolts that I found to fit the top threads in my rcbs die body.  Cut to length (leave em oversize until you get through the full length size part of the process)  I did not need to mess with rim thickness at all for my rifle. The 348 W brass is tough stuff it took me several full BP loads to blow these cases out to shape the body properly.

I have two lots of 348 brass almost 20 years apart and it is all way under SAAMI specs in the body diameter   

I have had better luck in general forming cases by neck expanding than I have had reducing them down .
last I looked 348 was unobtainium but you could still get 50 Alaskan at reasonable price - that would be my second choice   

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2022, 10:12:19 AM »
Ditto on Greyhawks forming process using .348 win brass. I did find a few cases that had loose primer pockets after fire forming them due to being undersize in the head area, but rest work well. Did the same for the .50-95 also.
kw

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2022, 09:51:10 PM »
Well, brass availability/price is really the only drawback for the .45-75. It is really a pretty cool cartridge. I love the way that it looks and it certainly hits with authority. I try to take care of my brass and anneal periodically to reduce case-mouth splits. Once they're formed they last a long time.

I only load Black in mine - the combo of 348 brass and my rifle leaves me very minimal clearance up front - boolits are loaded @ .459-.460 - I dont neck size at all just needs a slight crimp to turn a bevel on the sharp edge of the neck so it dont snag on the chamber.

the brass forms a little ridge at the base of the 45/75 neck (should really neck ream these to get rid of it  but....) that ridge comes from a crease where the original case transitioned from body to shoulder taper - only causes trouble with longer boolits (405 grain or more) I had a little homemade die that I turned into an outside swage die, I use that as last step in reloading, it gives me a neat smooth case neck with about a half thou clearance to the chamber - the neck dimensions of this outfit are such that the case stays located centre in the chamber at the rear and blows out evenly rather than expanding on the top side of the chamber like we normally get. It has shot some pretty darn nice targets with blackpowder loads and will push a 330grain boolit just a tad over 1500fps so its a quite effective piece.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com