Author Topic: Uberti '73, antique finish question  (Read 4038 times)

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti '73, antique finish question
« on: October 27, 2015, 12:46:05 PM »
Howdy all, got a question.

I'm kicking around the idea of a '73 in .44-40 for my next big gun purchase. I've kind of figured that if I'm going to spend $1,100 on a rifle, I might as well spend $1,200 on a fancy schmancy finish, you know? Which brings me to my question. For the antiqued Uberti rifles, is the wood also antiqued, or does it still have that bright red varnish? This is idle curiosity of course. I'm probably least likely to buy the antiqued rifle, considerably more likely to get either a charcoal blued gun or a standard finish, but curiosity was getting the better of me.

Thanks all!
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Uberti '73, antique finish question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 02:13:05 AM »
Not sure about the wood but the two antiqued pistols i have handled were rubbish as far as tne finish. What did was give them a blue brown finish by letting the co,d blue rust and then light steel wool them and then killed the finish by heating or boiling the parts.
This looks more authentic.
Buffalochip

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 02:29:21 AM »
Personal opinion only, and holds the value of what you pay me for it...

antiqued ... I would not pay a dime extra ....I am perfectly capable to duplicate , the finish Cimarron calls antiqued finish
and have done so , though I fully understand the time involved & compensation involved.

charcoal blued ... quite attractive , but it's also not as durable .... in fact you'll have your antiqued finish , spoiled finish actually in rather short order....  :(   it is rather thin...
It will Brown patina , but it will also spot.

USA Finish... here is one I might consider, I understand this includes true bone CHC 

Save your extra cash, buy your 73 .... put the extra $100 or so,   in to the next gun purchase.

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:35:42 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1213
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 08:45:01 AM »
Yes, the wood is "antiqued" if Uberti did it, and they do a pretty good job.  Most of the guns that you see pics of that people antiqued themselves, have wood that looks too new.  The only time I bought an antiqued pistol was a 7 1/2" Model P, because it was an exact look-alike to my 1901 SAA, and I shoot them as a pair.

I have antiqued a few guns for others, but the only one I antiqued for myself was my TTN shotgun.  It wasn't that pretty to start with, no case colors and the blue on those is not shiny.  It looks great antiqued and I regularly get asked if it is an original.

Now, charcoal blue is another matter.  I would pay extra for that any time.  Yes, it is fragile but you just have to be more careful.  I have two charcoal blue '73 carbines, and the finish is holding up pretty well, because you don't handle a rifle by the barrel.  And my two charcoal blue conversions are holding up well because they have brass gripframes, and the gripframe is what wears the fastest on charcoal blue handguns.  The holster wear is not excessive over 10 years, and I do like the silvery look where it has worn.

If we all liked the same thing, it would be pretty boring, eh?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 09:39:31 AM »
Indeed it would Abilene  :)

I have added wear to many a gun used as the main character(s) these were de-farbed as well in most cases.
I've stripped them and had new finishes , both more correct blue or Nickle finishes applied as well for Films ...

I had a Charcoal blue fluted 1860 , I used for years and the finish wore to a most pleasing brown,  I liked...

However I just returned for the NCOWS South Wet Joe Berger Regional, held in the torrential rain you just experienced.
One Shooter , Okla.  Tom  AKA Brian Buck was using his limited edition Charcoal blue beauties....
sadly could not keep them dry ( no one could ) in the 19 3/4 " monsoon...
He tried , but the finish was ruined

Brian is a Gunsmith , with lots of savvy.... the "finish was ruined" are his words   :(

Just my 2 cents worth... I would not hesitate to buy a Charcoal blue gun ,but I would not pay extra just because it was...
  again my opinion , taken as given for free ....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 09:54:48 AM »
Fair enough, thank you all kindly! I'm always attracted to things that aren't quite "run of the mill," so the other finishes were kind of jumping out at me, but I think you're right, I'll probably just put that money into a better reloading setup or some spare parts.

Granted, it's gonna be a little while before I get a new firearm anyway. Being able to ask for forgiveness instead of permission is a resource that I spend sparingly.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 06:23:23 PM »
The US finish from Cimarron is very nice. Cost more but you get real bone and charcoal case coloring.

Any new guns I buy will be special ordered to be all blued or have the US finish. Those are the two authentic finishes for a 73.

I've had one with the antique finish and didn't care for it. Wound up using cold blue and brown to get it looking more like it should.

If I am re enacting or doing CAS I want the guns and gear to look like it would have been used back then, not looking like it's already 100+ years old.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »
Of course, remember that if you are shooting CAS that the gun would have been new then. No one in the 1870's had a Winchester rifle that looked 150 yrs. old.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com