Author Topic: Final rig decision time...HELP  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Rusty Silver SASS# 58957 (aka Trumpet)

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Final rig decision time...HELP
« on: May 27, 2004, 09:18:35 PM »
Alright,
Well tomorrow, I'm orderin' a rig.  It's between

1. El Paso Saddlery "Spaghetti" rig

2.  Black Hills "The Kid" rig.

I talked to Rudy at BH today and he was a really nice guy.  He said the BH has a lifetime guarantee.  He said that on the holster and belt he uses 7-8 oz. leather with a lining of each of 3-4 ounces (for a total of 10-12 ounces, which from what I understand, is just about perfect).  He uses the running loop method for cartridge loops.  When I asked why he chose this, he told me it was because it lasted longer as there was no stiching to potentially rot.  Rudy assured me that the only disadvantage to the roughout is that it stains easier.  Other than that, it's the same leather grade and just as sturdy and thick. I also asked him about the steel lining.  He said normally if he does use it, it's only on the top of the holster.  Basically, he told me that without the lining the rig should easily give 10 years of service.  He said with the metal, it should give at least 20.  He also said that the "Kid" holster sits higher on the belt than the "Tombstone", BUT the gun sits lower in the holster, so it's about equal.  Delivery would be in the two to three week range.

I also talked to Don at El Paso.  He was really nice, but didn't have as much info.  He said that he didn't have the exact specs on the leather weight for the rig, but he did tell me it was "saddle grade" and fully lined.  He also wasn't sure if the metal liner was for the full holster, or just the top.  The cartridge loops are stiched on.  Delivery would be in the 4-8 week range.

Sooooo,
Both guys were wonderful to talk to on the phone (I can tell I'ma gonna like this sport....great folks).  So, if ANY of you out there have any products from either of these companies, PLEASE give me some feedback.  If you haven't, feel free to contribute anyway, I need all the help I can git!

RS

PS, if possible, don't recommend any makers other than who I have listed.  It'll only add to my confusion  :rolleyes:  :p  :D

Offline Tombstone Runner SASS#54765

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Final rig decision time...HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 06:42:51 AM »
Never delt with them there boys.....probably they wouldnt do ya wrong!!
TR
"Did you bring some gold?"
"Nope!"
"Silver?"
"Jus Lead"

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 09:27:37 AM »
Reckon by now ya already put in the order. But for what it's worth; I have a Tombstone rig by Rudy and quite pleased with it. The holsters are stiff as heck and should hold up for a long time. The belt is lined and "thick", get the correct size cau it won't stretch if it's too small.

Good luck and let us know which rig you got. ;)
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:56:39 AM »

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 12:29:13 PM »
Well,
I've delayed my choice  ::)  I've heard so much about Big Ed, that I emailed him.  He looked at both models I was wantin' and emailed me and said he could make one better for less. I'ma gonna call him on Tuesday, and see what he can do.  So now it's between three ...again.

Anyone know what the turn around is like on a San Pedro rig?

I DID get a hat today though......

RS

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 12:07:54 AM »
I've no experience with Black Hills leather but they do have a good reputation.  I have rigs from El Paso and San Pedro. Prefer the El Paso just because it fits a little better.  Big Ed at El Paso is a STRAIGHT shooter and won't steer you wrong.  It's a tough choice as most of us can attest.  In the long run you'll probably end up with more leather than you can "regularly" use but one can always use some trade goods.
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 07:14:02 AM »
Big Ed is at San Pedro, not El Paso.  Just to clear up any confusion now, which one is it you prefer again?

RS

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 08:00:11 PM »
 :-X MY Bad! got my fingers in the way of my brain. Apologies to Big Ed and he's still a real straight shooter.  Leather is top notch also.  In fact used my San Pedro leather during some "unofficial" qualifying today and got quite a few compliments.
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Foothills Drifter

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 08:08:37 PM »
Howdy......
My guns have never toucher anything by SAN PADRO LEATHER. I call in an order in mid to late December and pick it up in person in early February when we go to the gem and fossel show in Tucson. It's just down the road a piece. When you meet Big ED you will know why he is called 'BIG' Ed. When ya go to see him, he will take time off from what he is doing and make ya feel at home ;D You won't be disappointed in his stuff.

Good shootin......
Vern... 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com