Author Topic: Anybody Shooting?  (Read 4095 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Anybody Shooting?
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2022, 04:56:04 PM »
I kinda know what you mean Dusty. My wife and I stopped at a big flea/farmers market in Fuquay Varina, NC many years ago and it felt like we were in another country. We appeared to be the only English speaking folks there along with the vendor we were talking to. Stay safe down there.
As far as the thread’s question goes we shoot our plain jane cowboy match next weekend. Some of us are planning to use old martial Colt NS or Smith HE revolvers. We are a WASA/SASS[unaffiliated] club. We shot a Josey Wales match last month. All revolvers, only had 1 miss and came in 1st of 6 shooters. Did a BAMM the month before that. Shot my Krag carbine. We use a variety of guns, 10-10-4 gets old if you don’t.
                                       Glad your shooting Ed , bet that Krag is slick . ,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2022, 04:57:54 PM »
We're with ya' Dusty.  It's a horrible mess.  I just finished serving on a Federal jury in Houston for a drug smuggling and kidnapping case.  Everyone needs plenty of "repellent" ready to hand..........
     Its a lot worse than most think . When do you expect that package from Lee? ,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2022, 04:59:49 PM »
OOOHHHH,, I get it now. I'm a little slow, must be the stupid run-off from Chicago
      Ha ! ,,,DT

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:00:25 PM »

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2022, 08:01:52 PM »
Greetings All and thanks for everyone jumping in with whats been going on.  Was at farm today, still to hot to shoot but the blueberries are coming in so spent most of today picking!!

One thing I did manage to do this past week or so is load a few more 45-75.  Attachment shows sample of latest batch.  Same thing I have posted before but loading these cartridges never gets old!!

Keep ya powder dry!!

P.B.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2022, 09:39:22 PM »
Dusty, Here’s that 1896 Krag Carbine.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2022, 09:29:11 AM »
Pinto Beans them 45-75's look good , that's my favorite of all the four .   B - Ed  that Krag  Carbine is nice . Yrs. ago I ran across one that was sporterized . Had been checkered and a hand made peep sight added , had lots of  character and was said to have been owned by an old cow poke that had killed a ton of deer and antelope with it   . Was one of the ones that got away . Oh well cant have em all .,,,,DT

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2022, 05:06:35 PM »
Shot both my 76's today! 45/75 and 50/95. Shooting the stop sign gong with regularity with the 45/75 @ 100yrds, test loads with the Presidio. All Black powder loads in the Presidio, bit of both BP and Smokeless with Thumper. Cleaning the brass is more a chore than cleaning the rifles, unless I'm doing it wrong. Dump brass in a sink with hot water, use a .45 brush in the sink, then de-prime, now in the wet tumbler.
Also did a bunch of test load shooting with my Sig 1911 Nightmare Fastback in 357sig, and shot some golf balls with my new SA Ronin .45. That is one accurate pistol!

Good news today, my Dad is still cancer free! Good day all around.
King Medallion

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2022, 03:32:34 AM »
Sorry for airing my problems out here Pard's  . Its really my problem only  and I should  have not brought it here .  Stay Cool ,,,,DT

Dont apologise!
this is a problem that the whole world needs to know about from people directly affected - the attitude of criminal politicians and faceless suits that causes it is gonna bring us all grief of one kind or another in the end. We have an outbreak of foot and mouth just off our country's northern coast and a leftist prime minister who thinks its a joke - cant even put disinfectant footbaths in the airport for returning tourists .....................................

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2022, 10:10:52 PM »
Dusty,

I called Lee a couple of days ago.  According to the lady running the office, it's complete except for the extractor cut.  It's been waiting on that for about a month.  She promised to prod him to get that done and get it out the door.  So.......I'm hoping it will be pretty soon. I also had him install one of his economy soule sights on it.  I'm really hoping for a good shooter when I get it back.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2022, 10:45:13 AM »
Hope you have a good range report for us . ,,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2022, 05:10:16 PM »
Must be living right or something ? Got rain today at the Mason Co. place and our home on the coast . Spent the day working brass for the 38 wcf . while cooking deer roast and ribs for tomorrows family get together . Have not seen them for a while so could be some shooting . Have a great weekend Amigo's .,,,,,,DT

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2022, 07:20:20 PM »
I’m shooting my club’s cas match tomorrow. Plan on using a 1919 Colt NS, a 1918 Smith Hand Ejector and my Marlin Trapper and Marlin Model 24 12 ga. Hope the heat doesn’t cause us to quit early. Using .45 Cowboy Special in the old revolvers and .45 Schofield in the src. Hot fun.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2022, 03:44:32 PM »
Dusted off the Extra Heavy Barrel 1876 45-75 wcf today . Tried an open post , or the one with the hole on top of the post . Did not do so well with it , or was just not the right one . A friend gave me a small tin with a few inserts in it that fits the Winchester Globe sight . After a group was shot with that open post I decided to put the thin post with bead back on , gave the barrel a cleaning and went back at it . Target was a bit over 100 yds . and Yep back to the small groups this EHB is capable of . At 12.5 LB . that rifle is a treat to shoot . Not much but  Its all I got ,,,,,,DT

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2022, 04:20:58 PM »
Mr Dusty sounds good to me!!  Have tried the inserts on a good friends Sharps replica and it makes things a good bit easier at times.  Temps are cooling down, things are showing signs of leveling off on the to do list, hopefully we will see time to shoot some soon!  Thanks for the posting!!!

P.B.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2022, 11:28:55 AM »
Look forward to hearing about others shooting . Here on the Coast , I had to get my shooting in during a pause in the rain . Will be in Central Tx . next week for a month or so and should have some time for shooting , there I can stretch it out a bit . Building a new portable shooting bench with reloading press attached . ,,,,DT

Offline Boone May

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5904
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2022, 04:20:43 PM »
It's been "Too Darn Hot" here in the mountain west to quote the old Cole Porter song but I did make it to the range on Friday September 2.  Here are 20 rounds at 50 yards from a seated rest. 
Rifle is 1887 production gun with 28" octagon barrel, set trigger, Beach combination and Winchester graduated tang sight.  I removed the standard barrel sight as it was in the sight picture for lower elevations.  It has a sight blank there now.
Temperature 100 degrees F, 37 degrees C, no wind.  I was doing a six o'clock hold. 
Ammunition is my home brew using .348 WW brass resized to .45-75, 65 grains Goex cartridge grade powder, WW large rifle primer, bullet is from Lyman (Ideal) mold 457192 sized .458" and lubed with SPG.  I have a set of RCBS dies but I have also loaded these with my old Winchester reloading tool.
Cartridges loaded and ejected flawlessly.
Based on the hits mostly going to the right, I believe I should move the front sight slightly to the right to move the POI to the left.  There is no windage adjustment on the tang sight. 

"There are a few things they didn't tell me when I hired on with this outfit."

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2022, 05:12:21 PM »
Thanks for the range report! That is really a fine looking rifle. I really like the sight combination. I wish that someone was still making good reproductions of the Winchester tang sight. I don't want to spend the money to put an original sight on my reproduction rifle, but I think that they are very cool and useful.

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2022, 08:16:35 PM »
Shot a .22 two gun zsa shoot today. Was clean but slow, one ftf in my rifle. Was in the top 5 —- but there were only 5 of us. I was within 10 seconds of 3rd though. A fun shoot with lots of steel. Like steel.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2022, 09:55:19 AM »
 Just posted some results in the "40-60 reload section".

Hootmix.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2022, 10:38:35 AM »
I finally got my Uberti '76 back from Lee Shaver with the relined barrel and had a chance to do some initial load development with it.  It's certainly a vast improvement, since it now has a real chamber instead of just a wide spot in the pipe. The rifle is now showing some promise. I had a mixture of brass given me with the rifle - Jamison, Ten-X, and reformed 50-90 from Buffalo Arms. I had to discard most of it due to case separations, split necks, varying case volumes between brands, etc.  I ended up just keeping the new, unfired 50-90 brass reformed cases.  Initial tests with the new brass showed a preference for about 58 grains of Olde E FFg with the Accurate (Winchester copy) 342 grain bullet, running just under 3 inches at 100 yards.  After being fire formed, the case volume now requires about 62.5 grains of powder to get the same compression.  I'm now in the process of reloading that brass to do the next round of load development.

I was able to get on our gong targets out to 300 yards with no problem, and then ran out of ammo.  I also had a set of Lee Shaver economy soule sights installed with a globe front sight.  I feel like now I have a rifle with the potential to do some good work at our long range matches.

All it takes is buying a Uberti rifle and putting another $1,000 into it to have one that will shoot!    ::)
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com