Linked Events

• GAF Muster 2006: September 28, 2006 - September 30, 2006

Author Topic: GAF Muster 2006  (Read 30580 times)

Derby Younger

Re: GAF Muster 2006
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2005, 05:37:34 PM »
Books:

You almost got me off the hook.

Matt:

I have the honor of requesting a change in the marketing terminology from Companies to Platoons. I forgot I was doing a marketing analysis and did a census funding projection.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2005, 10:00:05 PM »
 ;)

Books,

Actually no apology needed, that was some good information. 
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2005, 10:50:17 PM »
Annie: Which will have the better eats? ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 01:41:13 PM »

Offline Marshal'ette Halloway

• The Marshal's Boss & Head Rebel Rowser
  • Peace Officer
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Two theories to arguin' with a woman. Neither work
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2005, 12:15:52 AM »
I know I know I know...
Let me answer Del.. I can answer.. pleeeassseeee...
 I know the answer.

SASS #56524, BCVC #26

The smell of heaven is Fresh Baked Bread and Gun Powder.

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2005, 07:27:19 PM »
My wife Penny enjoyed herself greatly at this year's Muster, and has already decided that we will attend, and she will compete in next year's Muster in Ackley.  She has already decided that she will depict an actual person, Hannah Eubank from Marquette, WI, who was a vivandiere, or "Daughter of the Regiment". These women were wives or loved ones of a unit's soldier and assisted the soldiers with water, aid, and other legitimate duties.(Not Hooker's women)   Kinda like Molly Pitcher in the Revolution, they sometimes took an active part in battle and many were armed. Most vivandieres dressed in a feminine uniform more or less patterned after that of the Zouaves, and many received pay from the Army.  Now the question arises, will she be classified as "Military" or "Ladies" in either the shooting or clothing contest? 

If you had enough ladies interested, I suppose you could have a category for "Military Ladies" for both the vivandieres and those depicting women who "posed" as men (over 700 women did this).  I'm not necessarily advocating this new catagory, as adding more categories tends to "weaken the gene pool", so to speak - you end up with two or three folks in each category, so everyone wins, or places, right?

I'm still mulling my personna around - may pay homage to my Gr-Gr-Grandfather, a Pvt in the 5th Virginia, wounded at 1st Manassas.  I do have some documentation on him.  Doing some research on the Mississippi Marine Brigade, too.   Penny would like us to be a "couple", even in our portrayals, so I may end up as a member of the 7th Wisconsin, of the "Iron Brigade".
We have 11 months to hash it out -

Guns
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2005, 08:25:20 PM »
Guns,

Nothing says you have to restrict yourself to any one "persona" for the weekend. 

At present, I'm considering bringing a USMC uniform, an artillery uniform, and one other - all for the shooting days - and something completely different for the banquet.  I've got almost as many uniforms as I have firearms (well, not really), and I'm always looking for someplace to wear them.

On the Delta Queen cruise, I wore USMC, CSMC, US Artillery, CS artillery, Mississippi Marine Brigade, and USN.  I had a great time keeping everyone guessing as to what I'd be wearing next.

US Scout
Bvt Col of Marines

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2005, 11:50:29 PM »
This topic is posted at the Belle Alley - I have some material on Mary Walker as well -

Perhaps the 2006 GAF Muster with a Civil War period could also give honorable mention to a particular woman of acclaim but not as well known as she should be - Dr Mary E Waler -

Pretty scarce, signed 1860s, Elliott & Fry cdv of the American Civil War Heroine and Doctor Mary E. Walker (1832-1919). Walker quite a figure in her time, was a supporter of Womens` rights, tended to wear male clothing, and became a respected figure during the American Civil War. During the earlier part of the war she tried to join the Union cause, was denied a commission as a medical officer but joined as an un-paid volunteer and served as acting assistant surgeon; therefore becoming the only female surgeon in the U.S. Army. She worked in the U.S. Patent Office Hospital in Washington moving on later to serve as a surgeon on the Union front lines for nearly 2 years. Constantly crossing the confederate lines to treat civilians she was eventually arrested in 1864 and imprisoned for several months before being returned in an exchange of prisoners. In 1865 she was presented with The Congressional Medal of Honour in recognition of her efforts and contributions to the war effort; she was the only woman to be presented with this, her country`s highest honour. She was asked to give it back in 1917, which to her credit she refused to do, proudly wearing it until her death in 1919.  (Medal rescinded 1917 along with 910 others, restored by President Carter 10 June 1977.)

More info -
WALKER, DR. MARY E.

Rank and organization: Contract Acting Assistant Surgeon (civilian), U. S. Army. Places and dates: Battle of Bull Run, July 21, 1861; Patent Office Hospital, Washington, D.C., October 1861; Chattanooga, Tenn., following Battle of Chickomauga, September 1863; Prisoner of War, April 10, 1864-August 12, 1864, Richmond, Va.; Battle of Atlanta, September 1864. Entered service at: Louisville, Ky. Born: 26 November 1832, Oswego County, N.Y. Citation: Whereas it appears from official reports that Dr. Mary E. Walker, a graduate of medicine, "has rendered valuable service to the Government, and her efforts have been earnest and untiring in a variety of ways," and that she was assigned to duty and served as an assistant surgeon in charge of female prisoners at Louisville, Ky., upon the recommendation of Major-Generals Sherman and Thomas, and faithfully served as contract surgeon in the service of the United States, and has devoted herself with much patriotic zeal to the sick and wounded soliders, both in the field and hospitals, to the detriment of her own health, and has also endured hardships as a prisoner of war four months in a Southern prison while acting as contract surgeon; and Whereas by reason of her not being a commissioned officer in the military service, a brevet or honorary rank cannot, under existing laws, be conferred upon her; and
Whereas in the opinion of the President an honorable recognition of her services and sufferings should be made:
It is ordered, That a testimonial thereof shall be hereby made and given to the said Dr. Mary E. Walker, and that the usual medal of honor for meritorious services be given her.

Given under my hand in the city of Washington, D.C., this 11th day of November, A.D. 1865.

Andrew Johnson,
President

If I can make it to the 2006 GAF Muster...I would love to portray Mary Walker (hmm...Chantilly, that nearly faints at the sight of blood....).  What an honorable woman!

A six-shooter makes men and women equal.  - Agnes Morley Cleaveland (1818-1889)

I should like a little fun now and then.  Life is altogether too sober.  - Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910)

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2005, 06:02:23 AM »
If we keep going at this rate, just about everyone will be in a uniform or quasi-uniform (such as the vivandiere), at the 2006 Muster!  COOL!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

(Chantilly - I've heard of Dr Walker, but then you probably expected that.)

US Scout
Bvt Col of Marines

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2005, 04:03:00 PM »
RCJ,

You are feeling quite fiesty today with all the bone pickings.  I think that with your demeanor, you would make an Excellent Southern Gentleman....
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2005, 04:32:40 PM »
Don't worry John, I can find plenty of written documentation of soup bones. ;D  Does that mean we should do at least one meal with ham and beans?  The only problem with that is that with folks from so many regions, what kind of bean do we use?

Does this also mean I should start bakin'hardtack and corn pones so that they can age a bit before the Muster? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2005, 08:05:34 PM »
I have a major bone to pick with the,. . .uhh,. . .Major.
He's gone and made me purchase firearms that I had no intention of owning. Added another c 'n' b revolver and a front-stuffer to my armament.

U. S. Scout will simply politely suggest that the term 'bonehead' should have a picture next to it in the Dictionary and could I think of any volunteers?

RCJ  ::)

John,

The way I look at this is that you can never have too many guns, or too many personas to go with them.  In fact, you should have multiple personas and lots of different guns - none of this sharing business.  Either make up a new persona for new guns, or buy new guns so you can make up a new persona. 

Far be it for me to discourage anyone in developing additional personas or buying more guns.  It would be like reprimanding myself and my sensitive nature wouldn't be up to the strain of hearing me chew out myself. :o

As for adopting the persona of a Southern "gentleman", I do believe that the bottle of libation I got you has somehow infected you.  Let me know if you need another next year. ;)

I don't need no pictures in my dictionary - I done graduated the sixth grade and can read well enough.  Besides, I'm none too partial to volunteers - I prefer to select the most qualified inviduals for the job at hand.  However, when I looked up bonehead all I saw was "syn: River City John"  ;D

US Scout
Bvt Col of Marines

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2005, 05:57:24 AM »
RCJ-

I'm thinking we need to establish a "Ward Room" for those of us who portray naval types to enjoy our "grog" in the evenings (after the shooting is all done of course). 

One must be in naval uniform to participate and bring a suitable beverage for others to sample.

Guests could be allowed, at the discretion of the members of the Ward Room. 

US Scout
Colonel Commandant of Marines, GAF

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2005, 09:08:53 AM »
  RCJ
   Glad to help.  jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2005, 09:39:58 AM »
Sirs, Staff & Etc.,
Mr. Hill, my Associate from the UPRR Coy., has informed me of a most unfortunate and yet timely event, to wit, the Destruction of Rail Car #1155 destined for the Grand Hotel in Denver, Colorado and laded with cases of Imported Potables, etc. He suggested that this particular Rail Car had been involved in an earlier Foray involving River Pirates on or near one of the Southern lines as it crossed the Mighty Missouri River. He indicated that it had been emptied and reladed with another Shipment of lesser quality Liquids in Wooden Casks and re-directed to another destination of unknown standards.
These oversized hand-labelled Casks were said to be of an odd quality and contained a strong Odor of Smoke. As with all Shipments that pass though his Yards, he must investigate, delay and or destroy if needed, any Shipment that does not match with his Bills of Lading. Such, it seems, was the case with Car #1155, it was said to be 'leaking' by his railhead Gandy Dancers who were seeking out the source of the smell, Smoke, as they had told him.
Upon further Inspection, Mr. Hill garnered that this particular Car was not on his Inventory and therefore not Passable. As with all Goods involved in this manner, they must be sampled for quality and content before being rewarehoused until Proper transport can be acquired, etc. On his Orders, the Crew opened one of the Casks proclaiming it was the biggest Hogshead they had ever seen and that the clear Liquid inside was of a Brownish color and most interesting in its darkened manner, pleasing yet perplexing to the Palate.
After many series of tests were completed, the Crew and Mr. Hill all agreed that further additional testing and verification of the remaining Casks was needed, so they were put in Cold Storage, and the Car, now useless with unrepairable leaks, and in need of further reconstruction due to the initial Foray, must be put in the Work Shed til repairs can be assigned, i.e., it is now on the Destruct List. The damage to the Car when purloined by the River Pirates was such that it may never roll again except as a Carrier of Hogs on their way to the Slaughterhouse and ultimately, the Soup Pot.
As such, Mr. Hill has decided to provide a sampling of same, upon request, to all Officers and Ranks at his Side Door, all Cavalry and Transport Officers should please remember to bring their own Tie-down ropes and Stakes as his posts and rail have been moved to allow new tracks to be lain in order to move his Storage Goods closer to his Warehouse. Samples for Testing will be held for this office for the September, next, gathering of Officers & Staff.
I remain, etc.,
'Ol Gabe,
Bvt. Capt.,
Adjt.,
Dept. of the Missouri,
GAF
c/o Dunbar Station, Iowa Territory

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2005, 09:48:45 AM »
US Scout, RCJ:

To us enlisted naval types, that would be "wierd room."

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2005, 05:58:43 PM »
Y'all come down to the mess decks while we fire up the secret engine room still . . . don't be tellin' no occifers now!
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2005, 05:17:03 AM »
Sgt Drydock,

I took it as a given that the engine room would supply the coffee.

US Scout
Bvt Col of Marines 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com