Author Topic: Should I or shouldn't I .... ?  (Read 8135 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Should I or shouldn't I .... ?
« on: August 16, 2018, 08:49:36 PM »
Someone wants to trade me his NIB Browning '86 carbine for my Browning '86 rifle. I'm tempted as it was the carbine I really wanted, but they were unobtainable at the time.

I enjoy shooting the rifle out to 200 yds but I find it a bit much to carry in the woods hunting. Whadya think ... ?

'86 carbine tale .....

Following a BPCR practice with Sharps our Buffalo guns, someone produced a Browning '86 carbine. A volunteer wearing a 'sissy pad' was offered three sil loads (525 gr/64 gr BP) and he gamely touched them off from the bench.

After the last shot, he lowered his head to the bench and was still. He was tapped on the shoulder and asked - "Are you alright?" Answer - "Yes, I'm just trying hard not to cry."

Methinks an "Express" load with 350 gr bullets might have been a better idea, 420 gr at the most.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Re: Should I or shouldn't I .... ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:40:57 AM »
My thought. If you really want the src, get it, but get a few Benjamin's to boot, cuz they are worth more. I have made a couple mod's to my src, added a couple inches to the stock, replaced the sights. I put on a semi buckhorn rear as I just didn't like that ladder. but then the thing shot real high. So my smith simply made a brass blade for the front, as it is not dovetailed, but rather pinned. Simple really. Don't know why it's not dovetailed, but it is what it is. Still a heavy gun to tote around in the wood's, and will take a beating alot better than the shooter, just like the above story states.

King Medallion

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 07:51:37 AM »
I guess I really shoudn't comment on what you guys are up to as the only '86's I use are originals.  One of which is a very nice light-weight '33 Takedown.  Now that one is a wizz to use in timber, etc.  The others are 40-82's and 45-90's.  I have heard that that caliber is available again from some Jap outfit.  I have a relative that is looking into getting one as brass is available again.  I have seen pictures of it and it is a nice looking rifle. One thing about any '86 is that they can pretty well stand up to more than you can handle without any pain--only to the shooter!
Well I guess that I have said enough here.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:28:41 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 07:04:08 PM »
What bullet weights are you shooting in your '86 SRC? At what velocity?

My thought. If you really want the src, get it, but get a few Benjamin's to boot, cuz they are worth more. I have made a couple mod's to my src, added a couple inches to the stock, replaced the sights. I put on a semi buckhorn rear as I just didn't like that ladder. but then the thing shot real high. So my smith simply made a brass blade for the front, as it is not dovetailed, but rather pinned. Simple really. Don't know why it's not dovetailed, but it is what it is. Still a heavy gun to tote around in the wood's, and will take a beating alot better than the shooter, just like the above story states.

I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 07:25:20 AM »
I read it wrong, the rifle is worth more than the src.   I use 350 cast and/jacketed and 405 cast bullets. I don't have a chroney so I don't know what velocity is. I don't load heavy, I can't hunt with it here in Illinois so I load it for fun shooting. And truth be told, I haven't even shot it in a couple years, been playing with my 76 mostly. And even then not nearly enough. But I do get it out and look at it on occasion. Me, I'd keep the rifle.
King Medallion

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 12:17:41 PM »
Since this post is almost a month old you have probably already made your decision.

Of course it stands to reason everyone has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to just about everything.

I once owned both the Browning rifle and the SRC. Regrettably I sold the rifle. I kept the carbine for the reasons the OP stated above. In my own personal opinion, and you know what they say about opinions, I prefer toting the carbine over the long barreled rifle because I like the balance better. I once owned a very nice original SRC in 45-70 but sold it because it was back when I was not financially able to keep it since I had taken money from savings to purchase it. I have certainly regretted having to have sold that particular rifle since they are rare and especially in the condition it was in. My current Browning SRC is an effort to satisfy the memory of the original one and to be perfectly clear I really like my current Browning SRC and it is as good a quality as the original one was and shoots as good also.

I am not a person who enjoys pain and at my age certainly doesn't have anything to prove so I keep my hand loads within reason for target shooting and hunting game such as deer since I don't live where there are bears. If I were hunting larger game then I would load accordingly.

Having said all that, not too long ago I purchased a new Winchester 1886 deluxe short rifle, 24" barrel and I love it. It is heavier than the Browning SRC and of course has all the added safeties which do not bother me as it does some folks. Yea, I wish they were not there but they are. The rifles made in Miroku, Japan are of exceptional quality and very accurate.

As previously stated the Browning rifle is of greater value than the Browning SRC all else being equal, so one might expect to have to add some cash.     
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 08:49:55 PM »
I didn't make the swap. Too much history with the '86 rifle that dropped two moose for me. Plus I can drop rams with it at 200m with the factory sights from the sitting position.

Speaking of moose, there is a calf moose grazing in the lake right now just 250 yds from where I'm sitting. Usually it's Momma is with it. During the rut we get the courting bulls as well, two once time, but the cow had two calves and wasn't interested.

And guess who got a moose draw this year for the first two Weeks of November? I'm going to lazer range find the distance and sight in my Shiloh #1 Sporter for that distance. Or maybe, the '86 would be the way to go. Choices, choices .....

I can taste the moose roasts already ..... :>)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 10:02:09 PM »
Moose are the northern equivalent of Squirrels.   ::)   Ergo, you should have an appropriate "Squirrel" rifle   ;D   Just makes sense   8)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 05:24:54 PM »
Think you're confusing "Rocky" with "Bullwinkle".

I've yet to be charged and knocked flying by a squirrel, but Momma Moose knocked me ass over tea kettle last winter. She was after my dogs and I was between them.

She caught me with a knee before I could take refuge behind a tree. Damn, they can move fast! Like I said when I first reported the story, all I could think of as I lay on my back looking up her nose was - "This is really gonna hurt ....".

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 07:11:50 PM »
Kinda the same thing happened to me many years ago. I and wife and 1 of the kids were walking the dog one warm feb. afternoon. Dog (golden retriever) found a bedded whitetail and commenced to give chase. Deer came a hellin right at me, no room to go around for all the big trees so it tried to jump over me. Knocked me flat, I remember seeing its legs standing for a very long 1/2 second before it took off again. My thoughts at the moment was I was about to get stomped into the earth, I had just seen the video of that buck giving that hunter that doused himself with elk urine an asswhoopin just the night before. Figgered that was it for me. Dog saved my butt that day. I remember the deer had a very gray face, and was rather large at 2 inches away. Don't know if it was a big doe or a shedded buck, but it was heavy, and hit hard. Great memory.
King Medallion

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 07:52:30 PM »
Well let me tell you about the day that my oldest boy got his first moose.  It should 'a been me but I had a horsefly on my front sight!  He got that moose at about 10 yards--in the chest--with his 40-82. Later when we split the carcass that slug fell out on the ground it had went in about 20 inches along the backbone.  Later, I made a belt buckle for him with that slug on it.  I have been treeed a few time by those damn mooses and they ain't no fun to be around especially if you get between momma and her baby.  Just thought to enlighten your moment a wee bit.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 11:20:35 AM »
It was my Rotti-Shepherd cross that saved my butt from Momma Moose. He got around behind her and worried her hocks before she could stomp me.

The strange thing about the whole affair was how calm I was both during and after the event, even though I knew how close a call it was.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 11:46:25 AM »
About a hundert years ago (1963, actually) I was hunting wild boar down to Tennessee, with an original '86 that had been rebarreled to .33 WCF.  Did a great job on a pair of hawgs with a single bullet (one standing behind the other that I didn't see!).  I was throwing down on another, a big feral cross, that was running along a fence.  Got the last couple of inches of the 24" barrel caught in some saplings as I swung to follow the pig. Never got the shot off!  :(  Last time I hunted with a barrel that long. Had my regular hunting rifle, a pre-64 M70's 24" barrel shortened to 21-3/4" (cut off right behind the front sight ramp), and never had a problem.
I also had an original '86 that was rebarreled with a heavy (1/4" wall) 19" tube. Used to shoot 405gr JFP bullets behind enough RE-7 to produce 1650-1730 ft/sec.  Hard rubber buttplate attenuated the recoil, but I didn't like shooting it on the bench very much. Never did shoot anything with it, as I didn't see any game to shoot at the times I was packing it. 
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline QueensHorseman

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 08:07:29 AM »
I’ve carried a Browning src a few times for moose in Newfoundland but only used it on one bull at about 35 paces.  He was with a cow offering a quartering shot.  My load was a Hornady 350 FP over a stiff charge of 3031 and it put the bull on the ground pronto.  The bullet was recovered in the far side with minimal expansion of the nose area which surprised me.   Truth be told, heavy loads turned this src into a nasty rifle (for me) to shoot and I have since switched to much milder cast loads.  I’ve pretty much decided that a properly constructed cast bulletin at about 1300 FPS is my comfort level and will do all I need inside 100 yards.  If I need more range than that then I’ll use another rifle/cartridge.   

I’ve had an original 86 OBFM rifle but didn’t like the balance or crescent butt.   My favourite configuration is an extra lightweight .45-70 or .33.   The balance and shotgun butt shape is perfect however that is totally subjective.  Original 86 (and 92) actions are just so slick.

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 08:21:42 AM »
Queenshorseman:

My oldest boy got his moose with a 40-82 M-86.  We recovered the slug in its spinal cord and made a belt buckle out of it.  I wrote up an article for the HandLoader back then (1983).  My personal pet is my .33 Takedown-'86 and my second oldest son has a 45-90 that he wont let go of.  I don't do much hunting anymore (81yrs) but still like to chat about it.  Those mooses are alot easier to dump than folks think they are.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 11:19:22 AM »
it is not mooses, it is "meese". ;)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 01:38:42 PM »
Sorry about that!  It is one moose two mice--three meese!

Offline QueensHorseman

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 08:42:57 PM »
Queenshorseman:

My oldest boy got his moose with a 40-82 M-86.  We recovered the slug in its spinal cord and made a belt buckle out of it.  I wrote up an article for the HandLoader back then (1983).  My personal pet is my .33 Takedown-'86 and my second oldest son has a 45-90 that he wont let go of.  I don't do much hunting anymore (81yrs) but still like to chat about it.  Those mooses are alot easier to dump than folks think they are.

I really like my lightweight 86 in .33 wcf too.   It handles nicely with the tapered barrel, half mag and the shotgun butt treats me nice.  It’s over due for a hunting trip now that I think of it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com