Author Topic: 44 Spcl 18" Carbine  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
44 Spcl 18" Carbine
« on: November 13, 2019, 12:46:41 PM »
Every so often I see folks lamenting about how hard it is to find rifles in 44 Spcl.  It never really was that hard unless "instant gratification syndrome" for a specific configuration kept one from getting on a waiting list and being patient for a few months or up to a year. 

Cimarron has put out a few teasers in the last year about their new U.S. Marshall Saddle Ring Carbine in 44 Spcl, but I just got a look at their inventory list and noticed that they have quite a few of them in stock.  This is an 18" carbine with a slightly shortened stock and U.S. Marshall markings.  I looked for it on Cimarron's website, and found it impossible to locate until I did a search on the model number CA2051AS, which I knew from the inventory list.  Here is the page:
https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1873-u-s-marshal-it-carbine.html

Note that the MSRP is something like $130 more than a standard 19" carbine.  I assume that some of that is for the extra markings.

It has been a couple of years since I've done any work for Cimarron, but I am familiar with the products and just thought I'd mention this one since some folks look for that caliber and some folks might like this slightly different configuration, plus nobody seems to know about this one.  Also, they are in stock.  :)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: 44 Spcl 18" Carbine
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 04:47:45 PM »

;D   I gonna HUNT you down!!!   :o

My gun fund is DESTITUTE and you go and find this REALLY NIFTY Rifle.  Some Lustrum ago, I acquired a 44 Special 1866.  At the time I was still chasing the Brass Ring.  I cut that rifle down to a 16 Inch barrel "Trapper" and equipped it to run 44 Russian cases.  It ran a treat.  UNTIL:  When I fell down the Deep Dark Hole of the Dark Side I found the rifle had a Rail Road Tunnel for a chamber and would foul out in 4 to 6 rounds.  Jam tight.  I stuck it inna back of the safe for many years.  Then I discovered Annealing and it turn'd into a sweetheart.  Anyway:

That Carbine looks the biz.  I mean UBER KOOL!!!  I want one.  By the time I save my box tops, prolly be gone.  I'm still gonna save up though.  Curses .... Foiled Again (Stolen famous Cartoon Line)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 09:12:55 AM »
That's very KOOL! Thanks for posting this info.

Dave

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:27:20 AM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 11:51:33 AM »
Something?s wrong with it...I got it...the barrels too short.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 05:21:01 PM »

ACTUALLY ... Truth be known, the barrel be 1 7/8 inch TOO LONG!!  But I'm willing to live wid it.  Yep, Saving up my Box Tops.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 07:19:45 PM »
That?s why they make hacksaws I?ve heard.  Been known to use one myself but never on a cas rifle. Shotguns, revolvers and already buggered up sporterized military rifles have fallen afoul to my trusty 32tpi though. The problem is the action is so long on a 73 that they don?t look good imo when you shorten them up too much.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 09:02:13 AM »

I hear ya Biltmore.  My fascination with "short" rifles came from attending a "Collectors" gun show in Denver Colorado.  One of the exhibitors had a "wall" of Winchester Rifles.  At the very end of his display was a "panel" of "Trappers."  Several as short as 14 inches.  Unfortunately, BATFE has reservations about rifles that short. 

Some later, I was lucky enough to score one of the very few 16 inch barrel Henry Trappers Uberti built.  Of course it wouldn't hold 10 rounds (for CAS) So I wound up developing a really SHORT .45 cartridge (45 Squirt) and heavily modifying a Carrier Block to run it.  Then Adirondack Jack came out with the Cowboy 45 Special and a custom carrier to run it.  The rest is history so to speak. 

I just have not been able to resist building my own versions of those Winchester Trapper Rifles.  I built mine from "Rifles" as I much prefer octagonal barrels.  The newly found Uberti US Marshal carbine from Cimarron would be the only carbine I have ever owned.  I also wouldn't cut it down further.  I really lust after the new carbine.  Must save some Box Tops   ;D

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 10:41:54 AM »
 My .45lc Spanish contract carbine build will not hold 10 45lc rds anymore but with my mag tube follower/spring tinkering and the way that the lifter block is machined the magazine will hold ten 200 gr schofield rds. Feeds them just fine. The next rd extends into the block and bumps up against the rd in the block but when the block is raised the next rd is cammed back into the mag tube so the block can raise. Kinda discovered it by accident playing around with different length dummies after I shortened the tube to accommodate the musket forend cap. I don?t know if this is a normal 1873 repro lifter thing or not. I didn?t think it was though as I?ve always believed the 1873/76 is very ammo length sensitive. As to short rifles I have seen a pix of a mares leg with a full buttstock on it from a Canadian cowboy that was pretty neat but mares legs are 1892s. I guess they don?t have problems with short cowboy guns, just everything else.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 01:02:33 PM »

Yepper.  That is an "as typical" thing with the Uberti Carrier Blocks.  Typically, the Uberti rifles are not particularly cartridge length sensitive when fed "normal" cartridges.  With nominal 45 Colt cases, so long as the cartridge does NOT exceed the length of the carrier, there is no sensitivity.  However, once you depart from Nominal 45 Colt, length becomes problematic.  I have found with 45 Schofield cases, the rifle will "choke" if the bullet is any shorter than a 200Gr RNFP or a bullet of like length.  I have some odd 180Gr bullets that will load just fine but I haven't seen anything like them in years.  So I pretty much stick with 200Gr RNFP.  The "short cartridge" problem rears it's ugly head when the round in the magazine feeds into the carrier past the top of the return ramp.

If you want an extreme day of frustration, try making a carrier that will run with Cowboy 45 Special without an Adirondack Jack Special Carrier.  It ain't fun believe me.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 04:21:55 AM »
 As an ardent fan of the .44 Special, I find this rifle quite appealing!!

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 06:35:13 PM »
Quote from: Coffinmaker
?.
Some later, I was lucky enough to score one of the very few 16 inch barrel Henry Trappers Uberti built.  Of course it wouldn't hold 10 rounds (for CAS) So I wound up developing a really SHORT .45 cartridge (45 Squirt) and heavily modifying a Carrier Block to run it.....

Got one myself.  Didn't think a set screw tapped into the carrier qualified as "heavily modified".

Also have a '66 in 44 Special.  44 Special seems an odd caliber for the toggle link rifles when a 44-40 will do as much and do it better with a 200 gr bullet.
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com