Author Topic: 1911 mags  (Read 5795 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1911 mags
« on: June 17, 2018, 11:31:53 AM »
Last night I tested some mags without base pads for use in Wild Bunch. At home they all dropped free and locked back, but I wanted to test fire them. Glad I did .....

Two of the six did not lock back on the last shot. Load was a 230 gr LRN over 4.2 grs Tite Group, so it wasn't the fault of the load.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: 1911 mags
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 11:57:32 AM »

Bummer PJ   :o

Were it I ...... I set those two Mags on an anvil and make them ...... FLAT.  You NEVER want them to get into a gun that may be called upon for some "social work."   Or even a Wild Bunch match.

If you just can't bring yourself to crush em, mark them in such a way they permanently say PRACTICE ONLY!!

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 05:36:41 PM »
What do you mean by "lock back?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:19:13 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 06:34:45 PM »
When you shoot a 1911 (and most other semi-autos pistols) empty, the slide is supposed to "lock back", telling you it's time to change mags and get back in the game.

The sound and feel is unmistakable as it does so. No need to look. Of course, it helps to count your rds as you fire them .... ;>)
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 09:22:06 PM »
The proper term is 'slide lock', the slide locks open(to the rear) when the mty magazines follower pushes against the slide release/lock which then engages in a notch in the side of the slide. When the mty mag is removed there is no longer spring pressure against the slide lock so it can fall when the slide is pulled slightly to the rear. The slide can then move forward using the power of the recoil spring.
As a duelist I don't wait for 'slide lock' to go to my next loaded magazine, I start fumbling for it with my left hand while engaging targets, as soon as I 'slide lock' I drop the mty mag and reload, repeat as needed. I likey my 1911s.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 11:15:12 PM »
I have a RIA 1911 that I bought dozens of mags for without being happy with any brand or style.

Found a place over in Prescott that sells a lot of surplus guns.  He had a drawer full of COLT 1911 Mags for $10.00 each.  I bought nine of them and had one fail to work.  Took it back with another $30.00 and he replaced the defective one and sold me three more.  I now have an even dozen that work flawlessly.  A couple look like hell but I can't bring myself to care.

So much for the over-priced and IMHO over-rated big name competition after-market crap.  (Lotta hyphens in that last sentence.   :o ;D)
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 10:29:25 AM »
The proper term is 'slide lock', the slide locks open(to the rear) when the mty magazines follower pushes against the slide release/lock which then engages in a notch in the side of the slide. When the mty mag is removed there is no longer spring pressure against the slide lock so it can fall when the slide is pulled slightly to the rear. The slide can then move forward using the power of the recoil spring.
As a duelist I don't wait for 'slide lock' to go to my next loaded magazine, I start fumbling for it with my left hand while engaging targets, as soon as I 'slide lock' I drop the mty mag and reload, repeat as needed. I likey my 1911s.

I shoot "Duelist" as well, but I also shoot in IDPA which disallows putting a hand on a spare magazine while engaging targets. If I start doing that in WB, muscle memory will get me into trouble. Overlapping disciplines presents a few problems, so uniformity of technique matters.
I bought some GI mags one time - all of them were garbage. Over the years, I think I've tried them all. Some worked, others didn't. Some of my IPSC/IDPA pals have had issues with top brand mags.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 06:46:03 PM »
PJ, what few idpa matches that I've been to I used a revolver so never ran up against that rule. But it seems like a dumb rule to me. If you're willing to use only your strong hand to operate your pistol and take the potential lower scores that are certainly possible with less control of the gun why not allow your weak hand to grab your next mag and save a few seconds on the reload? Seems like good defensive tactics to me. But as you say overlapping disciplines and techniques can get you into trouble. While I haven't done it yet in a sass event, WASA rules allow you to load as many sg rounds as needed for the stage in your pump gun ON the clock. You don't gain any time but it's alot more fun to crank out 5- 6 or 7 rds in one continuous string than loading one or two at a time.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 06:46:18 PM »
I bought 10 GI mags from the CMP for $8 each a couple years ago. Haven't had a problem with any of them in my Armscorp. I shoot the GAF Expansion match, somewhat WB, that year with the pistol only because the striker on my Krag broke on the 2nd target.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 11:09:26 AM »
I alternate between revolvers and my 1911 Commanders in IDPA simply because I have several good revolvers and enjoy shooting them. Keeps my hand in with both.
In the few short years I've shot IDPA I've watched several rule changes come into effect, usually because the original rule wasn't logical or reasonable.
Since the rules allow you to use one hand if you deem it necessary, it makes no sense to disallow putting your hand on a mag before you need it.
One that bugged me was having to retain a mag unless you shot it dry to lock back. I think that might have changed now, allowing one up the spout before a mag change. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I used to quarrel with rules, but now I shrug and carry on as if things were normal and made sense. It's just a game, after all. On the street, I would do what comes naturally under the circumstances - if I could carry, that is.

Until that time, I'm just another unarmed victim waiting for the police to defend me.

PJ, what few idpa matches that I've been to I used a revolver so never ran up against that rule. But it seems like a dumb rule to me. If you're willing to use only your strong hand to operate your pistol and take the potential lower scores that are certainly possible with less control of the gun why not allow your weak hand to grab your next mag and save a few seconds on the reload? Seems like good defensive tactics to me. But as you say overlapping disciplines and techniques can get you into trouble. While I haven't done it yet in a sass event, WASA rules allow you to load as many sg rounds as needed for the stage in your pump gun ON the clock. You don't gain any time but it's alot more fun to crank out 5- 6 or 7 rds in one continuous string than loading one or two at a time.

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 10:59:01 AM »
I like Colt stainless Magazines the ones with the raised dimple. I have them where they work well in my 1911s. They are stamped out and then assembled. Sometimes you can get a burr in the slot and sometimes you can get the top that is too rolled out. Both of these can be easily remedied. I have expensive Wilson and McCormick mags too and it is obvious that they were checked before shipping. Still they are the same design with maybe a different spring and follower but still they all will work so long as they were not stomped on or something. I just like the good old originals and for the price I do not mind checking and making them work.

yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 11:21:19 AM »
There is a good article on 1911 mags in the current Dillon "Blue Press" on how and why the lips get tired and spread. Also, the critical dimension to measure and maintain if you want reliable mags.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 11:05:06 AM »
Most autos are picky to some extent on demanding good magazines. Lugers being the worst with Glocks and 1911s right behind. I have had nothing but good results with MecGar mags in my 1911s, Sigs and Luger.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com