Author Topic: Bond Arms Rough & Rowdy .45 Colt/.410  (Read 1198 times)

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4927
Bond Arms Rough & Rowdy .45 Colt/.410
« on: October 07, 2023, 05:47:40 PM »
Okay, picked this up earlier this week and have an early report for you guys. This is the budget version of the very well built Bond Arms derringers, with a rougher, non-polished finish. I have not shot any .410 through it yet and can report that my loads that I use for my CAS shooting are ... fun? Interesting anyway, 7.5 grains of Unique under a 200 grain slug produce a very noticeable BOOM from a 3" barrel and my 250 grain JHPs are really quite a handful. Anyway I may try a lighter load for the CAS stuff, or just terrify my posse members. I have some XL grips on the way for it and will see how it handles with them.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
Re: Bond Arms Rough & Rowdy .45 Colt/.410
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 07:07:27 AM »
I recently picked up a similar firearm in .38 special. Mine is made by "Old West Firearms". So far, I am not impressed.

Offline DeaconKC

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 08:38:12 AM »
Yeah, we have a lot of folks trying to pawn derringers at my shop. My boss will no take them in. The only ones he will take are the Bond Arms or or one other [ the name escapes me, I'm only on my first cup of coffee]. No cheapies. There is a huge difference in the wat they handle and run. I may eventually pick up some .38 or even .32 barrels for this, it would definitely be fun to shoot then. Oh, btw, they sight are pretty well on at 5 yards.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:07:04 PM »

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 01:54:02 PM »
Yeah, we have a lot of folks trying to pawn derringers at my shop. My boss will no take them in. The only ones he will take are the Bond Arms or or one other [ the name escapes me, I'm only on my first cup of coffee]. No cheapies. There is a huge difference in the wat they handle and run. I may eventually pick up some .38 or even .32 barrels for this, it would definitely be fun to shoot then. Oh, btw, they sight are pretty well on at 5 yards.

Right out of the box I couldn't even cock the hammer. A little tweaking and oiling somewhat fixed that, but then it would fire only the top barrel. A little more tweaking and now I essentially have a paper weight.

For what it's worth, the few times it DID fire, the recoil was not bad at all.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2023, 06:17:45 PM »
I had a Rohm in .38spcl that was as close to the Remington derringer as one could get.
It was OK but uncomfortable to manage.
I've replaced it with a Remington derringer copy in .22. Just for side matches.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline DeaconKC

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 06:23:45 PM »
The new grips arrived today and look really good. Very well made, but THICK. They will be good for shooting at a match, but I think they will be too bulky for regular pocket carry.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448

Offline DeaconKC

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 08:06:55 PM »
Okay, a summary of this gun after owning and shooting it for a while. My Cowboy load that is comfortable in my rifles and revolvers is quite lively in this little beast. a 200 grain RNFP under 7.5 grains of Unique is LOUD from this thing. Can't wait til our next side match with Pocket guns. My defensive load, a 250 grain JHP is ........umm......attention getting. WOW, but it's gonna be a lot worse on the receiving end. It's not terrible for pocket carry but is probably pushing the upper limit for this style carry, an IWB makes more sense. Great little gun, made with true precision, I am gonna have to get some 38 Special barrels for it.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 913
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 07:44:23 AM »
All that bulk and uglyness for just two shots? Not for me but YMMV.

By the way, in the 10 years I ran my own firearms training business, and qualified people for their CCW permits, I never had anyone who showed up with a derringer qualify. Didn't matter the quality or chambering, they could not get enough center of mass hits to pass the course.

Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com