Author Topic: Boito Coach gun vs Stoeger Coach gun - are they the same or not?  (Read 18861 times)

I’m looking at getting a Boito SxS Coach gun and was just wondering if anybody knew much about them.  As far as I can tell there is no difference whatsoever between the Boito and the Stoeger.  Both are apparently made by E.R. Amantino (which IS Boito) in Brazil.  If I understand this right Boito and Stoeger are about the same thing as Uberti and Cimarron.

I went looking for a Stoeger but my gun shop didn’t have one – but they did have a new Boito at a very good price and think I’ll pick it up.  I understand that like the Stoeger the Boito needs a bit of breaking in and fine tuning, but makes a good solid SxS CAS gun.  In fact I believe that’s what they made it primarily for.

The only thing I have to check to be sure about is to make sure the Boito does not have ejectors.  I don't think it does because the Stoeger doesn't and I believe it's the same gun with a different name.

Would appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Boito Coach gun vs Stoeger Coach gun - are they the same or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 11:50:01 PM »
Same.  For some reason if you go to Numrich to look for parts you have to look under Boito.  A lot more people are familiar with Stoeger but the parts are the same even though the names are different.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 05:04:44 PM »
Pettifogger is correct.
Do not let the Marketeers fool you.

Stoeger is just another importer, originally a sporting goods store.
They never did manufacture anything themselves, only contracted to various
companies in Germany, Italy, and South America.  Not much dfferent from FIE and others.

HQ is now in Accokeek, Maryland, Stoeger is a wholly owned subsidiary of Benelli, which is owned by Beretta, Italy.
they import and market shotguns, air rifles, and imports firearms by Uberti, (also under Benelli/Beretta)

Stoeger has owned the rights in the US to the name "Luger" starting around 1924.

In prior years Stoeger commissioned various small companies in Germany to manufacture a .22 Long Rifle replica of the Luger, which it imported.

It later sold an American-made version of the Luger in 1994. The pistol was all stainless steel and was in 9 mm and sold as the American Eagle Luger with 4" and 6" barrels.

They were marked Mitchell/SPM HOUSTON, TX U.S.A.  or "AIMCO INC HOUSTON, TEXAS " and apparently rather unreliable.
apparently Aimco of Houston made the Luger and Mitchell marketed them. Stoeger bought the rights to sell them and the name "Luger" was able to appear on the gun.

Stoeger also distributed some firearms made by Fabrique Nationale (FN).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Around  1923, Austrian immigrant Alexander F. Stoeger acquired the US rights to the name "Luger".
He issued a price list from his New York City sporting goods shop, announced that he was the "sole authorized importer
for the United States and Canada of the genuine Mauser and Luger Arms and Ammunition."

in 1924 "Stoeger Industries" was established. Stoeger claimed to be the largest gun store in New York City.

The next year, 1924-25 Stoeger issued his first catalog. By 1931, the Stoeger catalog proclaimed the company to be "the only exclusive gun house in America."

They put out regular catalogues up to about 1941 , after that they published the "Shooter's Bible" .

At some point they relocated to New Jersey. In the 1950 "Shooters Bible" they reference 507 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY
In the 1959 "Shooters Bible" I found the first reference to a South Hackensack, New Jersey address.

(see http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/historic-stoeger.php )

In the 1990s, the Stoeger company was purchased by Finnish rifle manufacturer Sako.
In 2000, Sako was acquired by Beretta Holding S.p.A. At that time, Stoeger Industries was placed under the ownership of Benelli USA.

hope this esoteric trivia helps :-)
yhs
prof

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 06:07:05 PM »
I've got a Stoeger "Uplander" 12 ga with 26" barrels. Brazillian made. Built like a tank and I really enjoy it.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »
Thanks gentlemen.  I appreciate your comments and information.  I'm buying this for CAS and think it will work fine.  They say a bit of tuning and break-in and they work just fine.  As it turns out it was more or less designed for CAS and is set up accordingly with extractors but no ejectors.  Choke is good to go for slugs if desired,  Just needed something as a back up for the '87 and '97.  Thanks again for your help and advice.

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 01:29:54 PM »
Just one back up for the '87 and '97?  That's a bit thin, eh?

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 07:06:14 PM »
Well, it will suffice for now ..............  ;) ;D

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 11:49:37 AM »
I've got one in the shop currently Frank!  It is a 20 gauge and the walnut stock is cracked on both sides of the tang owing to the 'run-out' of the grain along the top of the wrist.  I've repaired the cracks with Brownell's AcraGlas, and bedded the action to the wood.  Also, the through bolt in the butt stock needs to be well tightened.
This pelter needed the chambers polished so you could drop spent cases more quickly...all easy stuff.

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 02:48:04 PM »
I am not a competitive shooter.  But, I have shot 12g. SxS shotguns for 50 years. How do you "tune" a SxS shotgun?
Scouts Out!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 10:28:06 AM »
Well,  That answer depends on how you define "Tuning."  The first step is to work over the locking lugs and the fore end iron so the gun just sorta "falls" open.  Some folks consider this wearing the out prematurely  ::)   Then one reduces the Top Lever Spring so the lever pivots real easy.  Then one has the chamber mouth(s) "funneled" to make loading easier and ruin head space  :o  Finished up by glass Bedding the stock and maybe a recoil pad.  Oh, almost forgot, one must reduce the Main Springs to reduce the cocking effort and induce miss-firing  ;D

As you might surmise ..... I'm not a big fan of most of the Double Barrel "Tuning."  It has pushed the cost of a quality double from a sorta reasonable 7 - 800 bucks to well over 1400.  It also makes the shotgun unmarketable to anyone but fellow cowboy shooters.  Of course, in further honesty, I really bust the value of my doubles by shopping the barrels to 18 and .002 inches to make em Coach Guns.  Not that I'm inclined to take a Hacksaw to anything .........  ::)

Coffinmaker

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 09:01:04 PM »
"Tuning" a lot of CAS guns means just what Coffinkmaker says - premature wearing of critical parts. Then the gun gibbles and it gets a bad rap.

All of my CAS guns (and I mean ALL) are box stock, including my Stoeger Uplander which opens effortlessly and dumps it's fired cases with a shuck of the gun. It's amazing how 500 rds or so smooths up an action.

I confess to having a few triggers lightened, but that's about it.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 02:42:11 PM »
Thanks, great explination.  Since my SxS is ~25 years old, It must have tuned itself my now.   ;D
Scouts Out!

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »
If you buy a Stoger, it comes with a warantee backed by Bennelli. The warrantee work is done by Bennelli in the USA (Alababa I believe?, or near there... it has been a while since I dealt with them)  with no hassles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com