Author Topic: Newbrassky  (Read 1818355 times)

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Newbrassky
« Reply #540 on: November 18, 2004, 11:16:57 AM »
The Frumpy Fairy Godmother pops back in, with a sprinkling of sawdust.

"Duke, better watch them bunnies. I don't know when they stop being full of worms. You don't want your innards crawling with worms."

AnnieLee
"Sorry Duke, I fergot about that. And ya don't want fleas, neither. So, stay away from the bunnies."

"When do they stop being fulla worms? Doesn't the first hard frost have something to do with it?"

AnnieLee
I think so. I am not an expert on bunnies, but have been told they can be wormy during the summer. In the south half of WI (where I live), the bunny season starts mid Oct. The the north half, the season starts mid Sept. So, temp sounds like it has something to do with it. My dog caught a bunny in the summer and couldn't kill it because of all the fleas biting her. Del, do ya have any insight into bunnies?

My dogs killed two bunnies this summer. I had to watch their poop for a few weeks to make sure they were ok (Yep, I got to say poop!). Yeah, Del, what's the word on bunnies?

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #541 on: November 18, 2004, 12:40:22 PM »
Yer thinkin' of hook worm, it goes dormant in could weather most of the time and is not a problem to humans if ya don't eat the rabbit guts or walk barefoot in rabbit poop with bare feet.  This used ta be common among rural folks who did chores bare foot.  The real one to worry about with rabbits is tularemia or tularaemia and is a disease similar to Boooobonic Plaaage.

It is spread by flees, ticks and field dressin' rabbits.  Most infected ones die off after one or two hard frosts.  My family always used rubber gloves when dressin' rabbits and only after a hard frost.  If the liver of a rabbit does not look normal in any way, do not continue and wash hands verry well.  Today most outbreaks are spotted very quickly and when there is an outbreak do not handle any rabbits or squirrels cause squirrels get it to along with any other rodent. 

Bugs bunny claims to have it in one cartoon and scares the bejeebers out of Elmar Fudd.  The funny thing is this disease was reconized in the 1920 and named, although many call it rabbit fever just as Bugs and Elmer did.  This cartoon was made in the 1930's when there was a lot of incedints of it because poor rural families ate a lot of rabbit at all times of the year.  My mother had a cousin die of this disease in the early 1940's and I think that is why we were always so careful with rabbits.

Now as for the rest, they are delishious when properly cooked.  There are many good recipeeees for them.  Not a true historic one, but slow cooked in mushroom soup is good.  It also gives you no fuss gravy fer the biscuits. ;D   My self I like the taste of wild rabbit (cottontail) better than domestic rabbits.  Just personal.  But at family picnics for the Hickey side of the family I always looked over the fried chcken that is at every large family picnic.  I was lookin' fer the ones with four drumsticks, cause I like rabbit better than chicken.   ;D ;D ;D

Did I mention that many of my Mothers, Uncles and two of her brothers used to raise rabbits fer eatin'.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #542 on: November 18, 2004, 12:44:03 PM »
Fergot ta mention, no jokes bout Hickey picnics, thats the Scots side of the family, need to do some research sometime.  They might just attack wearin' kilts, bet a claymore would really do a good job beheadin' rabbits. ;D ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #543 on: Today at 01:46:16 AM »

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #543 on: November 18, 2004, 01:06:04 PM »
Fergot ta mention, no jokes bout Hickey picnics, thats the Scots side of the family, need to do some research sometime.  They might just attack wearin' kilts, bet a claymore would really do a good job beheadin' rabbits. ;D ;D

Won't see me making fun of the Scot's, I have a family clan kilt. But I'd rather have a Katana than a claymore.

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #544 on: November 18, 2004, 01:13:27 PM »

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #545 on: November 18, 2004, 01:16:49 PM »
Yer thinkin' of hook worm, it goes dormant in could weather most of the time and is not a problem to humans if ya don't eat the rabbit guts or walk barefoot in rabbit poop with bare feet.  This used ta be common among rural folks who did chores bare foot.  The real one to worry about with rabbits is tularemia or tularaemia and is a disease similar to Boooobonic Plaaage.

It is spread by flees, ticks and field dressin' rabbits.  Most infected ones die off after one or two hard frosts.  My family always used rubber gloves when dressin' rabbits and only after a hard frost.  If the liver of a rabbit does not look normal in any way, do not continue and wash hands verry well.  Today most outbreaks are spotted very quickly and when there is an outbreak do not handle any rabbits or squirrels cause squirrels get it to along with any other rodent. 

Bugs bunny claims to have it in one cartoon and scares the bejeebers out of Elmar Fudd.  The funny thing is this disease was reconized in the 1920 and named, although many call it rabbit fever just as Bugs and Elmer did.  This cartoon was made in the 1930's when there was a lot of incedints of it because poor rural families ate a lot of rabbit at all times of the year.  My mother had a cousin die of this disease in the early 1940's and I think that is why we were always so careful with rabbits.

Now as for the rest, they are delishious when properly cooked.  There are many good recipeeees for them.  Not a true historic one, but slow cooked in mushroom soup is good.  It also gives you no fuss gravy fer the biscuits. ;D   My self I like the taste of wild rabbit (cottontail) better than domestic rabbits.  Just personal.  But at family picnics for the Hickey side of the family I always looked over the fried chcken that is at every large family picnic.  I was lookin' fer the ones with four drumsticks, cause I like rabbit better than chicken.   ;D ;D ;D

Did I mention that many of my Mothers, Uncles and two of her brothers used to raise rabbits fer eatin'.
This is how dogs get tapeworms from rabbits.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tapeworm.html
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #546 on: November 18, 2004, 01:20:12 PM »

Won't see me making fun of the Scot's, I have a family clan kilt. But I'd rather have a Katana than a claymore.

AnnieLee
My great grandmother was a

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #547 on: November 18, 2004, 01:24:58 PM »
Ain't tha arch on the bottom sposed ta be yaller. ;D ;D ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #548 on: November 18, 2004, 01:29:41 PM »
Ain't tha arch on the bottom sposed ta be yaller. ;D ;D ;D
What are ya implying?  >:(

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #549 on: November 18, 2004, 01:50:34 PM »

Here's a weird thing. I live in the middle of the woods, and my dogs get ticks all the time. But in the four years I've lived there, I haven't seen a flea.

???

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #550 on: November 18, 2004, 02:00:48 PM »

Here's a weird thing. I live in the middle of the woods, and my dogs get ticks all the time. But in the four years I've lived there, I haven't seen a flea.

???

AnnieLee
Ya are verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry lucky. We have had multiple infestations in the 12 years we have lived in the Northwoods.  :(

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #551 on: November 18, 2004, 02:01:42 PM »
Fleas seem to often run in cycles, in 98 the whole town had them, you could not hardly keep them under control.  Be patient the time will come. :o

Oh if ya get a chance since Slim is leavin' fer a few days would ya wave yer wand and turn the shot in his shells to styyyrreeefoam. ;D ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #552 on: November 18, 2004, 02:08:09 PM »
Fleas seem to often run in cycles, in 98 the whole town had them, you could not hardly keep them under control.  Be patient the time will come. :o

Oh if ya get a chance since Slim is leavin' fer a few days would ya wave yer wand and turn the shot in his shells to styyyrreeefoam. ;D ;D
I don't need any help missing. I do a good job of that on my own.  ::) I think the main problem is my follow-thru.

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #553 on: November 18, 2004, 02:59:30 PM »
The Frumpy Fairy Godmother gives them a look.
"So, Slim's leaving, does that mean Delmonico is going to go get the cattle?"

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #554 on: November 18, 2004, 03:01:59 PM »
Slim looks at Delmonico in an inquizitive way.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #555 on: November 18, 2004, 03:17:22 PM »
Poof, the cattle are rounded up, branded and behavin, themselves, cyber ranchin' is easy as long as Slim stays out of trouble.  Ya want ta enroll in Delmonico's School of Shotgun Shootin'?  I still wear a 13D, bet the Fairy Godmother would run the trap fer us. ;D :o ::) :P
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #556 on: November 18, 2004, 03:32:21 PM »
Poof, the cattle are rounded up, branded and behavin, themselves, cyber ranchin' is easy as long as Slim stays out of trouble.  Ya want ta enroll in Delmonico's School of Shotgun Shootin'?  I still wear a 13D, bet the Fairy Godmother would run the trap fer us. ;D :o ::) :P
I think I will take a raincheck on that shootin school.  :o

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #557 on: November 18, 2004, 03:41:16 PM »
It's rainin' here now. ;D ;D  Gotta run see what kinda mess yer in when ya get back. ::) :o ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #558 on: November 18, 2004, 04:09:39 PM »
The FFG (does that mean the Frumpy Fairy Godmother shoots blackpowder?) grumbles.

"I think Delmonico stole my wand. The next wand I bring will be a ballbat."

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #559 on: November 18, 2004, 04:18:56 PM »
"Well, Duke, it is time to decide fer it is time fer me to head northeast . Ya goin' wit me to Dakota and stayin' in Newbrassky?"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com