Author Topic: Best Book On Confederate Uniforms and Insignia  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Fightin Creek Slim

• Active citizen
    • Shooters Freehold
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Best Book On Confederate Uniforms and Insignia
« on: April 05, 2005, 03:21:41 AM »
I thought this one might go along with the thread on Civil War uniforms and reference books.
I'm very much interested in finding a reference book on Confederate uniforms and unit insignia. In particular I'm looking for unit insignia for the 10th Arkansas Cavalry CSA, As I had several kinsmen who served with this unit.

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: Best Book On Confederate Uniforms and Insignia
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 05:19:27 AM »
Slim,

Unfortunately, there is no definitive work on Confederate uniforms.  There are some books on the topic, but they only scratch the surface since there was a broad range of diversity by state, branch, individual unit, and time period.  Not to mention that much was home made.  I was reading the Cataloge of Uniforms of the Museum of the Confederacy last night and the type of cloth used for linings would require a master's thesis to adequately cover it.

Unit insignia is a relatively modern trend and most units during the War did not wear it.  You did begin to see the emergence of Corps and Army identification badges, worn on either the coat or hat, but these weren't universal.

I have a passion for uniforms and will check some books I have at home and let you know if there are any possibilities.  Following RCJ's recommendation, do a websearch and see if there are any reenactment units that portray the 10th Arkansas Cavalry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com