Author Topic: Gould 330 grain boolit for hunting?  (Read 4303 times)

Offline Noah Mercy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gould 330 grain boolit for hunting?
« on: September 30, 2004, 10:29:49 PM »
I've read that this is one of the best bullets in the 45-70 at BP velocities. How many of you have tried it on game? Any caveats? Any hints for casting these pills? How about alloy  hardness? I'll be using it on whitetails (they don't get too very big out here) and possibly mulies (they do get big out here!). I'm going to be using as much 2F Goex as I can get under the bullet...I figure 80 grains will be about right. I'd sure appreciate hearing from any of y'all who have used this bullet/cartridge combo on critters.
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy!"

SBSS #1664
WartHog

Offline Lt. Col Mark Flint

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Gould 330 grain boolit for hunting?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 05:01:24 PM »
years ago I used some Gould 330's in a 45-90 over a case full of fffg and was able to load a whopping 85 grains in it.  I doubt you will get over 65 grains in a .45-70 cas unless you seat the bullet so far out that you load it in the gun with a hammer.

Never shot a deer, but the coyote I hit at 200 yards was a coyote skin rug when I got to him!

They were cast of wheelweight

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 06:56:13 PM »
I get 70 grs Goex CTG in Reminton cases in 45-70 with compression die and just a milk carton wad.  Don't plan on doin' long strings with them.

Wish I could tell ya it was the best bullet I've ever killed a deer with, but there is a curse on my Sharps and deer.  Includin' the mornin' I was headed back ta the house and sat and smoked a cigar about a 100 yards below it.  Was sittin' on the 200 yard shootin' point on our range when a nice 5 on a side buck walked up the road, through the gate and over ta the backstop and stood in front of it.  Yes the rifle was sited dead on at 200.  No the permit in my wallet said antlerless only. ;D

But the Late Elmer Keith liked it on deer.  Good enough for me, thats why I bought it, and the fact that in my area a 500 grainer might get more than I have permits for. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:25:17 PM »

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 06:59:24 PM »
I would think that it would be an excellant slug for that job. Cast from that 50/50 mixture you should get good expansion at reasonable ranges. Albiet the need for expansion is something I consider moot, when using a slug that starts out almost a half inch in diameter, on deer sized game. Proper bullet placement being of greater importance than expansion.

However if the range gets long, I'd stick with pure lead to get the most shock value posisible. Never smacked lead into a muley before, might/could want to go with the softer stuff for those big boys too.

Regardless, I imagine that a 330 gr slug with as much BP as you can cram into the case will travel through the length and breadth of any deer sized critter that you can hit! ;D
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Noah Mercy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 08:31:57 PM »
Thanks fer the replys, pards. I figure it shouldn't be too hard to get 75 grains under that bullet using a compression die. 70 is definitely doable. Out of my 34" barreled Sharps, I should get 1400+ fps at the muzzle, and as I'm a hunter vs. a game sniper (no offense intended to those who shoot critters in the next county; I respect your ability...I just like to brag about how close my shots are), all my shots are 200 yards or less. I imagine wheel weight alloy or softer should perform pretty well at those velocities.
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy!"

SBSS #1664
WartHog

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com