Author Topic: Turn your OT or RM into a MWNN  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1213
Turn your OT or RM into a MWNN
« on: May 03, 2009, 01:54:17 PM »
Or, for the acronymically-challenged, "Turn your Opentop or Richards-Mason into a Man-With-No-Name".

As y'all know, the barrels for the percussion guns will not fit the cartridge guns, at least not without MAJOR work, as pins and bores and stuff like that do not line up.

Cimarron received from Uberti some MWNN barrels for spare parts.  However, Uberti screwed them up and marked them as '51 Navy percussion barrels.  So instead of saying Cimarron Firearms on top and .38 Spcl on the bottom, they say ".36 Cal Black Powder Only" on the bottom and the top is unmarked.   So they are just sitting in a bin, destined to gather dust.

Well, I'm thinking that some of you guys who like to swap barrels and change the configuration of your guns might not mind the mis-marking, especially since it is hidden on the bottom.  Otherwise, the only option I know of to have a '51-style cartridge gun with the rammer is to convert a percussion gun and then the bore is too large unless you sleeve it, plus the percussion guns are made of good steel but not as good as the cartridge guns.

I talked to Robert (V-P of sales) at Cimarron and told him I thought they might be able to sell those barrels.  He told me he would come up with a price.  There is currently no price set for them, and I'm not even sure what the part number is as the MWNN parts list is not on the website.  They are sitting in a bin marked "9081 barrels - marked wrong" (CA9081 is the p/n of the MWNN gun).  So, here's the deal (I expect).  When he comes up with a price, you will be able to order the barrel and the rear sight.  The rear sights are in stock.  Yes, I know, many of us would prefer to have no rear sight as the looks are much cleaner without it and with that flat top barrel you don't really need a rear sight.  But the dovetail is cut so there you are.  These rear sights do fit the barrels well as the base is shaped to match the octagonal barrel, and the sight picture is very nice, large and square.  The top of the sight is square and somewhat sharp, might could use some rounding of the corners and might be an issue with holster fit, just FYI.  I have a picture somewhere of the sight from the shooter's point of view.  Putting a blank into the dovetail might be another option for the "clean look".

The rest of the rammer and barrel parts (front mounting post or latch, rammer, plunger, screws, wedge and wedge screw) and the brass post front sight MAY NOT be in stock at Cimarron (I know the '51 rammer arm and the front sight is not in stock, not sure about the other parts) .  So you will have to find those elsewhere (VTI lists them, don't know if they have them).  The rammer parts are all the same parts as the '51 percussion.  The wedge and wedge screw will be the same as the OT or R-M parts.  (Note that nobody will have the two-piece rammer arm that comes on the current MWNN which comes apart to give you a tool to punch out your empties, as I posted pictures of some months ago).  And if you do order the parts from VTI, note that the brass post front sight on the MWNN as well as the '51 Richards-Masons made within the last year or so is considerably taller than the percussion guns and the previous '51 R-M conversions.  The shorter brass post should work, though.  All four of my '51 R-M's have the shorter post.  If I had a choice, I'd go with the taller one, though.

These barrels should fit the Richards-Mason frames and the Opentop frames.  As usual, some fitting will probably be required.

Just thought some of you who like this type of project might be interested.  There's not too many of these barrels, I'm thinking maybe 8 of them.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
Re: Turn your OT or RM into a MWNN
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 03:59:34 PM »
Please  ;D
I see a 3" sherriff model in my future , when I trim it down....but a wedge and wedge screw would be nice.

".36 Cal Black Powder Only" , will fall to my file  ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com