Author Topic: USFA Cowboy information?  (Read 6938 times)

Offline Joel6180

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
USFA Cowboy information?
« on: September 09, 2015, 08:13:02 PM »
I bought a USFA Cowboy at a local gun store the other day, and I'm having a heck of a time finding out much about them.  I posted a similar post on the Colt forum I frequent, and found this link.  There was some helpful information provided, but I want to learn more.  I did a search on Gunbroker for completed auctions, but couldn't find one that had ever been listed.  I would post images of the gun, but I am unfamiliar with this format, so some help is needed there as well.  I wanted a shooter, but this one appears unfired outside the factory, but does have a fair turn line, so I don't think I will fire it.  Thanks for any information.  Joel

[/img]

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: USFA Cowboy information?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:22:09 PM »
Joel,
Welcome to the forum!  I am sure you will get several replies.
First off, your USFA, from the shape of the cylinder flutes, appears to be one of the later, "all US made" models.  US made cylinder flutes are more rounded at the end while the Italian, Uberti made flutes were markedly more"pointed."  If you were to post the serial number of the gun here I am sure than someone (probably Yahoody) could give you a year of manufacture.
The Cowboy model sold for less than the standard blue/CCH models.  Exactly how much less I fail to remember.  Perhaps someone else here can recall.  It is pretty safe to say that the all blue Cowboy is less "collectable" than the CCH models.
Prices right now are up on just about all USFA models but many of us here feel that the bubble will eventually burst.  You will get a lot more satisfaction out of shooting it than you will by locking it away as a potential investment that may, but most likely will not, pay off somewhere down the line.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Joel6180

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 09:48:23 PM »
Yahoody provided some great information on the Colt forum.  I figured out the image attachment feature.  It is very easy, so here is an image of the box label and the gun's SN.  I do not enjoy shooting really nice guns - I worry about messing them up.  I prefer shooting my 80-90% guns.  This one will probably be on an auction site soon.  I just like to start at a fair price to buyer and seller.  I like my listings to complete the first time I list them, not continue forever with an unreasonable beginning price.  Here are the additional images:

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:42:37 AM »

Offline buttebob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 06:20:33 PM »
I have a Cowboy I bought used in 2009. This is what I "think" I know. They were offered from 2007 to 2009. The serial number started at CB500 and all were 3 digits, so no more than 500 were made.
One sold about two months ago on GB for just under $1500.
I got mine at the Bozeman, MT gun show for $465. It is one number off yours. Where did you get yours?
Bob

Here's my post from April, 2013 asking about the Cowboy.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,48092.0.html

Offline Joel6180

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 06:38:13 PM »
I got it at a gun shop in Mobile, AL.  It was on consignment, so I don't know who the owner was.  I read some threads on the Colt forum in the past about the quality and value of USFA SA pistols, so I didn't think I would go wrong at $900.  I did think I was going to shoot it when I bought it, but now I don't know.  It sure feels good in my hand, but I'm certainly not used to the nice finish.  I normally end up keeping 80% guns, nothing this nice.  Thanks for your reply.

Offline John Barleycorn

• Top Active Citizen
    • Barleycorn Outfitters
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 05:38:08 PM »
Last one that came through the shop sold for $1460 this was late May 2015
Jedi Gunfighter #176
BOLD #787, NRA Life, RO I
N.E. Reg. FCGF Champ '12
PA  St. FCGF Champ '12 '13
MD St. FCGF 1st Pl '13
WV St. FCGF 1st Pl '12 '13
OH St. FCGF 1st Pl '14
NJ St. FCGF 1st Pl '15
PA St. GF Champ '15
SASS Regulator

Offline Joel6180

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 02:46:05 PM »
You were right on target John Barleycorn!  I listed the gun last night on an auction site, and a nice gentleman from OK bought it with the buy it now price.  I shipped it an hour ago.  This has been a great source of information.  I hope to find a shooter USFA pistol now that I have held one.  Having one too nice to shoot is like going on a "friend" date with a real pretty girl.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 04:53:51 PM »
You sold it?  Damn!  I would have taken it out, shot it, carried it, used it every chance I could get.  Ten years from now you would have a gun with "character."  Oh, well, different strokes…
But I do know what you mean.  Getting over that hump from "work of art" to "working gun" can be a tough one!  Still… I have several USFA's and several Colt SAA's.  Among my Colt collection I have some unfired, NIB guns.  My favorite Colt SAA is a 2nd Gen., 4&3/4, .45 that shows holster wear and the honest weathering that a working gun should have.  No cylinder "drag line" tells me that whoever put this gun to use knew how to properly handle a SAA.  To me it is just as beautiful, if not more so, that my new, unfired Colts.  It is the gun that I bring out when people want to see what a "real" Colt looks like.
Certainly hope that you pick up another USFA soon!  In the meantime I also hope that you stay with us here on the USFA forum.  I'm guessing that there is a USFA Rodeo somewhere in your future. ;D  
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Joel6180

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 06:17:39 PM »
Yes, I'm thinking the same thing - I like guns that are too used to sell, or that I paid too much for and couldn't break even on a sale anyway.  I just got a mess of brass & lead for 32-20, I'd like to have shooter USFA's in 45 Colt & 32-20.

Offline John Barleycorn

• Top Active Citizen
    • Barleycorn Outfitters
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 08:58:06 PM »
I have pair of Long Hunter Rodeo Custom Competitons with 4 3/4" barrels and chambered in 45 Colt. Let me know if you are interested. They are super smooth, and you won't be harming them if you shoot them.
Jedi Gunfighter #176
BOLD #787, NRA Life, RO I
N.E. Reg. FCGF Champ '12
PA  St. FCGF Champ '12 '13
MD St. FCGF 1st Pl '13
WV St. FCGF 1st Pl '12 '13
OH St. FCGF 1st Pl '14
NJ St. FCGF 1st Pl '15
PA St. GF Champ '15
SASS Regulator

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 12:13:21 AM »
32-20s are going to be hard to find and likely pretty expensive...
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Joel6180

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 06:04:34 AM »
I have been noticing that.  I'll just settle with my Colt Army Special for my pistol.  I know it is DA, but it was cheap.

Offline Joel6180

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 06:50:39 PM »
Finally got a USFA Rodeo in 45 Colt that I can shoot.  It is fun!  And accurate!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com