Author Topic: Arbor Length in Late model Uberti 1861 Navy  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Sandlapper

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Arbor Length in Late model Uberti 1861 Navy
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2023, 06:13:47 AM »
I'm going to go back and check for witness marks on all of these revolvers. On the four 2022 Ubertis you currently have, roughly how much distance will you have to shim to get them right?  Sandlapper

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2023, 07:56:45 AM »
I'm going to go back and check for witness marks on all of these revolvers. On the four 2022 Ubertis you currently have, roughly how much distance will you have to shim to get them right?  Sandlapper

I'll have to measure one.  I fit for .0025" -.003" endshake on a cap gun so it's not a "one size fits all" spacer.  I've never "measured" to get to a size because as I stated above,  when you introduce the wedge under tension "clearances" get removed and all measurements go out the window. 
  I'll check back.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2023, 10:01:54 AM »

:) Hey Coach!! Put Me In  ;)

I have to agree with Dragoon (Lightning gonna strike me).  Finding the ONE Uberti with correct Arbor fit is akin to finding the Holy Grail.  The additional problem is an incorrect "Interference" fit of the Barrel/Arbor.  The interference is the result of sloppy machine work on the Bore in the lug.  Cleaning up that bore usually lets the barrel and Arbor slide together easily.  If turned to one side and tapped with a mallet, the barrel WILL move to the rear.  This rearward movement is also evident when the wedge is installed BEFORE the fit is corrected.  As Mike said, the Barrel Breach will
back right up to the Cylinder Face, tying everything up

Actually measuring or trying to measure "now much" correction is needed is like chasing the wind.  No two Uberti Open Top design guns are exactly the same.  In all the guns I worked on, I never bothered to "measure" as I just fix'd the problem.  There is a real quick and dirty and cheap seats way to get a real close fit.  Drop a #10 split washer (I prefer Stainless) down the bore.  It will seat in the drill depression at the bottom, then put the gun together and fit the wedge.  Just don't forget the little washer when you clean the gun.  This will work 95% of the time.  I also like to clean up the bottom of the bore so it is a slip fit with the Arbor.

There are some aspects to setting up these guns that The Dragoon and I disagree on.  It doesn't mean either of us are "wrong."  We just get to the same finish line via a slightly different road.

Another Mike

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:47:00 PM »

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2023, 09:08:52 AM »

Just for giggles I  measured one for a Walker ( 2022) I was working on and it's roughly  .122" .  Mine are "rounded" on the back side so they "self locate" in the drilled end of the arbor hole.
    I've had a couple  of newer ones that would have been rather thin ( arbor longer than normal. Uberti may be sneakin up on "correctness !!). Don't like the idea of a "flimsy" spacer so in that case you shorten the arbor some ( a short arbor is short no matter by how much) so a decent spacer can be made.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com