Author Topic: Guns of the Darksiders  (Read 403062 times)

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Guns of the Darksiders
« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2009, 05:10:35 PM »
A friend got these pics of me this weekend at a high rate of fire.  The first was from another take showing a spark falling into the pan before ignition, but he didn't capture anything else.  The next ones are all from the same firing.

To keep this cowboy... Here are my Darksider guns, however, I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't gotten around to playing with two of them yet. :-[

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2009, 08:46:30 PM »
There is somethin special about them 51's.  The 60's have sleeker lines an I'd love one, but there's just somethin bout the older design that draws my attention. 
Nice collection.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2009, 11:03:56 PM »
Trinity,
I'll bet the Dance is one of them.  I've been wanting to ask someone about the caps geting mispositioned before the barrel..  Interesting and a bit different group.

Is that Dance cylinder sans roll engraving as well?  I have a pair of Leech and Rigdons (with Colt style Roll engraving) and I keep hoping I'll find some slick cylinders someday.

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
NRA, TSRA, MCA, MCAA, ANA, MOAA, ASME, SAME, BMES, STS

Advertising

« Reply #183 on: Today at 05:32:02 AM »

Offline Thai Fighter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Garrish and "B Western" Cheesy since '67
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2009, 11:19:41 PM »
LUCKY!!!!

Yea, I shot it. It was like going back in time... ;D ;D ;D

I have several original Civil War carbines, muskets, and pistols, and I have shot them all, at least once.

-Ed

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2009, 04:20:33 PM »
good picks Trinity
Mathew 5.9

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2009, 07:18:54 PM »
Mako,

That's interesting that your Leech and Rigdons have roll engraving on the cylinders.  Mine doesn't.  If I had a digital camera I'd take a pic of it and post it.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline Mako

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2009, 10:13:18 PM »
Mako,

That's interesting that your Leech and Rigdons have roll engraving on the cylinders.  Mine doesn't.  If I had a digital camera I'd take a pic of it and post it.

Ransom Gaer
Well Uh.....That's right!!!  That's because they are the special edition commemoratives of the time when Southern Agents stole cylinders from Colt to be used on the L&Rs.  I really don't appreciate them as much as I should.  Maybe a fine connoisseur such as you needs them more than just a shooter as I.  I guess I could force myself to trade with you… ;D

Actually I've been looking for some plain cylinders for some time now.

Regards,
Mako

Offline Thai Fighter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Garrish and "B Western" Cheesy since '67
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2009, 10:53:10 PM »
A friend got these pics of me this weekend at a high rate of fire.  The first was from another take showing a spark falling into the pan before ignition, but he didn't capture anything else.  The next ones are all from the same firing.

Nice pics Trinity... just curious though, how high is "the rate of fire" on your musket?  Is that measured in rounds per minute, or rounds per 10 minutes?

Offline Mako

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2009, 11:45:38 PM »
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o26/RiverCityJohn/DSCF0919.jpg

I had the scene removed from my cylinder then refinished because I could not locate a plain cylinder on the after-market sources either. Added the "Leech & Rigdon" on the top barrel flat. This is the most natural pointing revolver I own.
RCJ  
John,
Thank you so very much for sharing that picture with us.  I had considered that but I was not sure How deep the engraving really was or if it would clean up and leave the cylinder notches with sufficient depth.  I especially like the Leech & Rigdon Stamp, very nicely done.  I've seen them facing port and starboard, with and without the CSA at the end.

How was the engraving removed?  On a lathe?  With a cut or simply filed and then blended?

Regards,
Mako

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #189 on: July 09, 2009, 07:46:14 AM »
I believe the majority was removed using a cutter on a lathe by very shallow pass, then smoothed with crocus cloth and final polish. Afterwards the entire piece stripped and re-blued giving a lighter blue-gray blued surface and polished on a buffing wheel. Grips stripped and stained a slightly darker walnut, then oiled.

I changed out the nipples to Treso, dressed the hammer face back somewhat, installed a bit stiffer hammer spring and opened up the rear sight-notch atop the hammer.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #190 on: July 09, 2009, 07:04:11 PM »
Nice pics Trinity... just curious though, how high is "the rate of fire" on your musket?  Is that measured in rounds per minute, or rounds per 10 minutes?

Stardard for those are 4 rounds a minute with a smooth bore flinter, 3 rounds per minute with a rifed caplock musket, and the Sgt would make you pratice and practice till you got it right.   ;)

Great pictures Trinity, you also know you have another shotgun if you want to chase a few quail. ;D

Myself I'd have to load some of the buck and ball loads and put them on paper.  One ball with 3 buckshot on top, was hard on the guys in the other line. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: July 11, 2009, 08:48:09 AM »
There is somethin special about them 51's.  The 60's have sleeker lines an I'd love one, but there's just somethin bout the older design that draws my attention. 
Nice collection.

The '60 is on sale at Cabela's right now.  Might just add it to the collection. ;D

Trinity,
I'll bet the Dance is one of them.  I've been wanting to ask someone about the caps geting mispositioned before the barrel..  Interesting and a bit different group.

Is that Dance cylinder sans roll engraving as well?  I have a pair of Leech and Rigdons (with Colt style Roll engraving) and I keep hoping I'll find some slick cylinders someday.

~Mako

Yes, the round barrel is a Dance and it has a smooth cylinder.  I have yet to have any problems with the caps, but then I don't get to shoot as much as some of you.  It's suggested to use #11, but like so many, I found those too loose and use #10 instead.

;D I was referring to the camera, definitely not the musket. :D :D  In re-reading my post, I realize that wasn't clear. :-[

I love that L&R, RCJ!

Myself I'd have to load some of the buck and ball loads and put them on paper.  One ball with 3 buckshot on top, was hard on the guys in the other line. ::)

Or rocks... or nails... or other bits of metal. ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline piebiter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: August 06, 2009, 09:08:37 AM »
Here's my contribution to the pot. :)

Offline Pulp

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: August 31, 2009, 01:22:09 AM »
Howdy, first time poster here, so I thought I'd start out with a bang.

'60 Colt, with a bit of added pyrotechnic substance.
2004  Badlands Bar 3 Four States Champion, Frontiersman
(I was the only one there)

WWCAS (World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter)

Offline Pulp

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: August 31, 2009, 01:23:54 AM »
And my 10 gauge:

Offline Pulp

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: August 31, 2009, 01:25:29 AM »
And my Walker:

Some folks on another forum found this photo disturbing.  I will delete it if anyone here feels the same way.

I was using a remote camera on a tripod, no body in harm's way.

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: August 31, 2009, 08:00:48 AM »
That pic of your 60 Colt is impressive. What kind of pyro..... mix? I've done some front line pics like your Walker pic in the past at MG shoots, and got a lot of negative reactions too. Seems lot's of folks never heard of remote cameras and tripods. The greatest risk was losing the camera to FMJ's  ;) As long as you mention tht, most reasonable people won't think they can sit in front of the firing line and take a picture.  ::)

Offline Wandering Man

• Professional Listener
  • Very Active Citizen
    • Hamilton Psychology
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: August 31, 2009, 08:40:28 AM »
Some folks won't sit in front of a camera at all.  They say it'll capture the soul, and never let it go. 

Same folk are probably afraid of being hit by the bullet in a shot like the one above.

WM
Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

Offline Pulp

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: August 31, 2009, 08:13:11 PM »
What kind of pyro..... mix?

If I remember correct that particular load had some ground up sparkler compound in it.  Not finely ground, more like about Fg gunpowder.
And the gunpowder is my homemade stuff.

The 10 gauge load had a tablespoon or so of Coffeemate powder where the shot should have been.  Coffeemate is quite flammable.  I learned that from Mythbusters.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: August 31, 2009, 08:58:45 PM »
Cool pics!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com