Author Topic: Uberti or Pietta SAA Clone Quality, Durability and Authenticity?  (Read 91744 times)

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Uberti or Pietta SAA Clone Quality, Durability and Authenticity?
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2013, 11:24:03 PM »
Well- I have read all the posts... Colts vs the Uberti's and the Piettas... something said that he gets better accuracy with a colt at 25 yards versus the Uberti which has different sized chambers... and blah blah blah.. Don't get it folks.  To each his own... I shoot Uberti's... and have shot them at 50 yard targets and they do just fine.  I see folks shooting stages with Colts at targets 7 or so feet away and they miss the target the same as others shooting something that is not a colt.  What is the point? USFA went out of business because they were not competitive or they had bad management?? The USFA was just another brand name... and the product was way overprised... maybe a 100 years from now... the USFA might be worth something? In this sport does it mean IF I don't shoot a Colt, I am not period correct?  If that is the case, then we have a lot of shooters who missed the boat... as they shoot Ruger's. Since cars were mentioned... I can recall a man who made a car called the DeLoran... that dog did not hunt either. Not all cowboys in the 19th century carried Colts... guns are guns and they are all designed to do ONE THING.... KILL ! I must have missed something in the starting of this thread or post... Personally I like the Colt... I only have one, it is a low serial number for Colts 125 Anniversary gun.  But as someone said... I can buy a lot of good looking & good shooting Uberti's for the price of two colts... and the colts will not do anything that my Uberti's won't.  Nuff said.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2013, 06:16:29 AM »
There will always be Ford VS Chevy or Ferrari VS Lamborghini even Pietta VS Uberti and the "Taste Great VS Less Filling" crowd..

A point I'd make, and may be lost on many ....

Colts are wonderful , they conjure an image, they are the brand, and you must pay the price....
 you have to ask yourself do I buy a current production (or collect more ) and put it/them away in the box never to be shot ... who will truly benefit . Was it a investment ? and for whom, my heirs ?
Or do I shoot them and risk $$$  :-\
A current production 3rd. Gen  NIB, left in the box bought last year will not be more valuable , than another NIB  3 Gen. bought today nor will it be in our lifetime.

I'd choose to shoot ....posterity is fine and all that, but my guns are bought to shoot  :)
I care little for the profit someone may enjoy... down the road so to speak.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2013, 10:31:10 AM »
Well- I have read all the posts... Colts vs the Uberti's and the Piettas... something said that he gets better accuracy with a colt at 25 yards versus the Uberti which has different sized chambers... and blah blah blah.. Don't get it folks.  To each his own... I shoot Uberti's... and have shot them at 50 yard targets and they do just fine.  I see folks shooting stages with Colts at targets 7 or so feet away and they miss the target the same as others shooting something that is not a colt.  What is the point? USFA went out of business because they were not competitive or they had bad management?? The USFA was just another brand name... and the product was way overprised... maybe a 100 years from now... the USFA might be worth something? In this sport does it mean IF I don't shoot a Colt, I am not period correct?  If that is the case, then we have a lot of shooters who missed the boat... as they shoot Ruger's. Since cars were mentioned... I can recall a man who made a car called the DeLoran... that dog did not hunt either. Not all cowboys in the 19th century carried Colts... guns are guns and they are all designed to do ONE THING.... KILL ! I must have missed something in the starting of this thread or post... Personally I like the Colt... I only have one, it is a low serial number for Colts 125 Anniversary gun.  But as someone said... I can buy a lot of good looking & good shooting Uberti's for the price of two colts... and the colts will not do anything that my Uberti's won't.  Nuff said.

I said 25 meters, not yards. It would be advisable to compete in such hard matches and live that experience before giving advice.

in fact, Ubertis gave many troubles using lead here to get top accuracy at 25 meters and many shooters decided to use ball, instead of bullets, in their reloadings, as that avoided leading and had great accuracy.

others chose Colts just chose other brands over Uberti, and what I say about accuracy is only with BP and lead. Ubertis are fine with smokeless.

if  someone is a bad shooter, if doesnt matter what he/she shoots...be it a SIG P210 or a Keltec....however, a very accurate revolver will  allways help you to improve as a shooter.

Advertising

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2013, 08:28:55 PM »
That is the absolute total opposite of what I have experienced with Uberti revolvers. I have a couple that tend to get some leading around the forcing cone area with smokeless but not with BP.

If anything they are more accurate with black powder loads with no leading and cleaning just takes a couple swabs of moosemilk down the pipe followed by some clean patches.

My Uberti's LOVE black powder.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2013, 06:29:39 AM »

Mine too.

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2013, 09:02:38 AM »
That is the absolute total opposite of what I have experienced with Uberti revolvers. I have a couple that tend to get some leading around the forcing cone area with smokeless but not with BP.

If anything they are more accurate with black powder loads with no leading and cleaning just takes a couple swabs of moosemilk down the pipe followed by some clean patches.

If you are getting leading with smokeless, that means that you are taking the bullet to high speed, so it leads or maybe your bullet is soft, and that can happen with smokless of BP..

Bp, in reality,  is just part of the  problem, the main problem is the bullet that you must use in BP, hard cast with no shoulder, picket bullet of the period type.

the leading is not only in the forcing cone, but in all the barrel.

but as a matter of fact, I have avoided that problem, just by casting a much harder bullet, and choosing one with  very deep grooves.

what I have not changed is the innacuracy, really mediocre, and inconsistent with such loads. Sometimes good, and sometimes a disaster. Maybe later Ubertis have improved, but for years they proofed me they are not trustworthy in the accuracy aspect.

if you can share targets, shot one hand, at 25 meters, and share BP load, and bullet type,  number of shots before getting leaded the barrel, I would appreciate it.

targets at 7 yards, or 12, are not valid. Even a philippine revolver is accurate at such distances.

one day, one hand standing,  25 meters,  28 grains of 2F,  around 220 grains bullet (my memory is failing now).

URL=http://s949.photobucket.com/user/cesargijon/media/001-16.jpg.html][/URL]

same load, just any other day

allways some fliers, of course

another day

URL=http://s949.photobucket.com/user/cesargijon/media/DSCF5895_zps72b36490-1.jpg.html][/URL]

I have tried 250 grains, but the gun seems more accurate with lighter bullets at powerful BP loads.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2013, 10:29:44 AM »
If you are getting leading with smokeless, that means that you are taking the bullet to high speed, so it leads or maybe your bullet is soft, and that can happen with smokless of BP..

Bp, in reality,  is just part of the  problem, the main problem is the bullet that you must use in BP, hard cast with no shoulder, picket bullet of the period type.

the leading is not only in the forcing cone, but in all the barrel.

but as a matter of fact, I have avoided that problem, just by casting a much harder bullet, and choosing one with  very deep grooves.

what I have not changed is the innacuracy, really mediocre, and inconsistent with such loads. Sometimes good, and sometimes a disaster. Maybe later Ubertis have improved, but for years they proofed me they are not trustworthy in the accuracy aspect.

if you can share targets, shot one hand, at 25 meters, and share BP load, and bullet type,  number of shots before getting leaded the barrel, I would appreciate it.

targets at 7 yards, or 12, are not valid. Even a philippine revolver is accurate at such distances.

one day, one hand standing,  25 meters,  28 grains of 2F,  around 220 grains bullet (my memory is failing now).

URL=http://s949.photobucket.com/user/cesargijon/media/001-16.jpg.html][/URL]

same load, just any other day

allways some fliers, of course

another day

URL=http://s949.photobucket.com/user/cesargijon/media/DSCF5895_zps72b36490-1.jpg.html][/URL]

I have tried 250 grains, but the gun seems more accurate with lighter bullets at powerful BP loads.

My experience is total opposite again of what you are saying.

My smokeless loads run at only 680 and the BP loads are much higher. Also the smokeless loads lead worse with the harder bullets.

The leading is only in the forcing cone and no where else down the barrel.

I have not experienced any leading when shooting BP.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline griswold

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2013, 12:08:20 PM »
I use to have , wish I still did, both a Uberti 7.5" 44-40 SSA and a 3rd generation 7.5" Colt, also in 44-40.
I worked more with the Italian stalion (as I fondly called it), had the barrel tweeked to center the hits, shot at 6 oclock and I finally settled on using 5744 of 17 grains with a 205 gn flat nose. Was a very accurate weapon out to the distance of our shooting arena.....25 meters.

My 3rd gen Colt needed a lot of machining on the recoil shield as the rounds would drag on the left side and lock up the cylinder.......got that fixed and it shot well..........however, I never worked with it as much as the Uberti.

The main reasons I bought the Colt was because I just wanted a Colt and because I had a Win. 92 44-40 and the two just went together in my mind.

But the Uberti got the most use. It was a tad lighter as well...........not sure why, as it had a plated brass grip frame.

Griswold
Griswold,
The Griswold was favored by my Great Grand Pa James Henry Story who rode with the 7th Georgia Cavalry.

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2013, 04:05:32 PM »
a BP load of 28 grains is a powerful load.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2013, 05:25:29 PM »
a BP load of 28 grains is a powerful load.

What? That is a reduced load.

My normal 45 colt and 44 wcf loads are 36 grains. I've recently started shooting Schofield brass to reduce the load to around 26 grains.

Original 45 and 44 loads were 40 grains.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2013, 08:12:17 PM »
Retrinal-

Your quote "  I said 25 meters, not yards. It would be advisable to compete in such hard matches and live that experience before giving advice."

If you read what I said... I shoot the Uberti's at 50 yards... that is further out than your 25 meters... (25 meters =27 yards) and... I have no problem with accuracy. I shoot smokeless and I do not have a leading problem with the Uberti's which are Custer model's 7.5". It appears you do not like Uberti's, tis ok, to each his own.

"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2013, 09:01:13 PM »

I truly thought this thread wad truly dead.  And right after we find out some of the specifications of the Redhead on the calendar, it should be! ;D

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2013, 09:51:05 AM »
we can allways learn from each other here.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2013, 10:32:57 AM »
Coffinmaker,

Your chances of getting your revolver (by any manufacture) to reload it's own ammo, are better, than getting the specs on the Redhead on that calendar.  ;)

Still, one can always hope?
  Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2013, 01:18:18 PM »

Sad sigh ???

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2013, 01:42:13 PM »
I truly thought this thread wad truly dead.  And right after we find out some of the specifications of the Redhead on the calendar, it should be! ;D

she was miss POLAND a few  years ago and  she posed for FB Radom (Fabryka Broni) (www. fabrykabroni.pl) the makers of the traditional Radom Pistol in Radom, Poland.

I got that Poster at their stand in the  2012 Shot Show. Polish women are very attractive in general, like all Slavic Women..

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2013, 03:18:49 PM »
I'm curious why all the guns in the photo don't have grips on them.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2013, 03:20:55 PM »
What guns?  ;)

Offline cal44walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2013, 05:43:38 PM »
They banned grips in Spain to reduce crime.......

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2013, 06:25:56 PM »
 ;D   
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com