Author Topic: Uberti 1883 Burgess  (Read 9086 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Re: Uberti 1883 Burgess
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 05:50:55 PM »
 By " Golly",, the best to you and your friend,,ENJOY,,. What coal creek said !!

smok'm if y'a got'm,,,,Hootmix.

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 10:38:27 AM »
OK, firstly go back to my post on the parts diagram (reply #9) and that should read "spring" rather than "pin".

It is a rifle by the way and not a carbine - senior moment in post #1. I was initially led to believe that the repair guy in the importer's had changed a couple of springs on these guns with little or no effect on the long term reliability. Bear in mind this gun has laid around for some eight years so the waters are a little muddy regarding its history.

Anyway, you will see from above that I broke a good screw driver trying to remove the (already boogered) screw holding the firing pin in the bolt so it was then I decided to let my young friend have a look at it. He discovered that this screw had been peined over at the factory so was seemingly not meant to be removed easily, hence the damaged screw head. It also means that the guy at the shop had not removed this screw to change a firing pin and the pin in this rifle is the original. The screw was drilled out - I had a new spare - and when we compared this spring with the new one I had been given there was no appreciable difference in shape. In other words it was not bent. So the repair guy was only assuming that light strikes were caused by a bent pin.   

All internal surfaces of the bolt were smoothed and polished, along with the flat sides of the firing pin where in contacts the bolt. The diameter of the 'pin' was reduced ever so slightly, and again polished, to allow it to move more freely through the ejector. The replacement firing pin screw has a shoulder which was turned down a shade to give a touch more fore and aft movement of the pin.

The extractor is in the top of the bolt and rides on the top curve of the firing pin. The under side of the extractor was polished in this area. On closing the lever we discovered that the bolt was often not going all the way home; only a tiny amount short but maybe enough to cause a light strike. As you will be aware, the .45 Colt case does not have much of a rim and it was found that the extractor was not always clearing the rim. A small amount was taken off the flat rear surface of the extractor hook - problem solved.

I realise that 100 consecutive shots is not an exhaustive test but it is 96 more than I had achieved two weeks ago. Besides which that's all the bullets I had so couldn't reload any more. I'll run it more over the coming weeks and report back.

Load was 8 grains of Unique behind a 255 grain RNFP.

Chance

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 03:46:47 PM »
 That Sir is a fine report,,,many's a time on this forum " the smithers (is smithers a word) " on here a highly recommend " polishing " and deburing new factory part's ,,,,,1st.,,,. Like Coal Creek said ,,these tips will surely help someone else,,thank's for sharing .

smoke 'm if y'a got'm,,,,Hootmix.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:47:02 AM »

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2019, 07:24:59 AM »
Chance,  thank you for taking the time to post this useful information.  It is very difficult finding much information on the Uberti Burgess rifle.  Any update on yours after more time at the range or field?
D-Hansen

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2019, 11:04:31 AM »
Had the chance to buy a used one and my wife shot it after a match and it had a couple misfires so we passed on it. Glad we did now.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2019, 10:50:21 AM »
What technique did you use when reassembling the lever into the receiver.    I am having trouble with holding the level ball and lever spring into the drilled hole on the lever while attempting to slide the lever into the receiver.  Still have both, but I am afraid that I will lunch the ball and spring across the room if I slip up.  The ball and spring hold the level closed when the ball falls into a detente drilled on the inside of the receiver. The hole in the lever is drilled out to a depth of .335" and the spring is the same length.  So with the ball on the spring it needs to be compressing the spring while the lever is pushed into the receiver.  I was think of using a feeler gauge as a holder, and then slide out the feeler gauge after assembly.  Any better ideas?
D-Hansen

Offline D-Hansen

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2019, 11:16:55 AM »
Well the feeler gauge idea did work.  If there is a better way I am all ears. 
D-Hansen

Offline DocDucati

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 07:39:48 PM »
Been having 50-50 misfires due to light primer strike on my new Burgess carbine. I will put some attention to the extractor.  I appreciate the tips! I really like this carbine and want to get it to work better.

The edges on the new receiver are like a set of ginsu knives. After my hand was cut up like sushi, I polished these and it's much safer to work with now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com