Author Topic: Ruger SS 1911  (Read 3669 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger SS 1911
« on: January 14, 2012, 05:44:40 PM »
Had the pleasure of handling one of the new Ruger SS 1911s t'other day - Wow! Sweet piece of machinery!

Very nicely put together and a great trigger with the slightest amount of creep before a glass rod let off. Now I'm trying to justify yet another 1911 ..... ;<)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Ruger SS 1911
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 07:23:10 AM »
Wow, this is the first story I've heard of someone actually handling one and leaving the store without buying it.

I have one and like it.  Ruger made some strange decisions about spring rates as the gun comes with very heavy springs (action and mainspring) that make it very stiff.  The stiffness is made worse by some very sharp corners on the slide where it cams over the disconnector and hammer.  Some stone work was required on mine to smooth it out. 

My only disappointment with the gun is the fact that Ruger elected to make the slide stop cut all the way through the rail, as opposed to drilling a neat hole.  Doesn't affect function, just make a place that has to be cleaned.

Everyone I know who's gotten one of the SR1911s for use in WB is very happy with the choice.  They all comment on the great accuracy of the pistol.

Really?  You left without it?

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:31:54 AM »
August

The gun wasn't for sale - the clerk that showed it to me is buying it. A shipment of 20 came into the country and he scored half a dozen, already spoken for.

With a tricked out Gold Cup and a Remington R1 1911, I'm not hurting. I'm at a place in life where I no longer 'need' every new toy that comes down the pike. I just want to shoot and enjoy the ones I've got. My cup runneth over .....

I feel the same way about the ladies. I'm now content to have the beautiful lady that consented to marry me and admire the others from a distance. Safer for me and liberating at the same time ..... ;>)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:48:08 PM »

Offline Marthor

• Active citizen
  • "The coming thing"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 06:34:22 AM »
I've been to a couple gun shows over the past several Months and still have yet to see a Ruger 1911. I did buy the Remington R1 last year for the anniversary. I hear Remington is coming out with a new stainless R1 in 2012 too.

I suppose which ever one I come across first Ruger or Remington stainless will be my next 1911. Since I only have the 1 so far, I think it's pretty easy to justify getting another 1911.  :)
Marthor's Gun Page ... on Facebook "click"

. Ruger Vaqueros [x2] 357 Magnum
. Stoeger Coach Shotgun 12 gauge
. Rossi 92 357 Magnum

NRA Life Member
SASS #93491
RATS #643

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon