Author Topic: Cimmaron coach gun vs CZ coach gun  (Read 496 times)

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Cimmaron coach gun vs CZ coach gun
« on: January 22, 2024, 01:30:31 PM »
This may have been discussed before but couldn't find anything. I am trying to decide which one to go with. Looking at the Cimmaron do to lower price

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
Re: Cimmaron coach gun vs CV coach gun
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 02:15:46 PM »
I have the Cimmaron 1878 coach gun.  I love it.   I had a spring issue that it came with.   Oddly I bought mine through Cheaper than Dirt, but it is marked Cimmaron.   It had a crack in a hammer spring.    So, after one box of ammo, it was a single shot.   I do not know if you have dealt with cheaper than dirt, but no refund/returns.   So, I call Cimmaron, explain my issue.    Sent me a spring free of charge.   If I get something they sell, it will come from them.   

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
Re: Cimmaron coach gun vs CV coach gun
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 03:09:43 PM »
Well, Pappy, I'm going to make some assumptions.  First, that the Cimarron coach gun you are talking about is their 1878 Hammer shotgun.  Almost all of those were Chinese, although they did import just a handful of them from Pakistan.  They got only one shipment of them (last year) in the past several years, and they are out of them now.  So if you want one, you will most likely have to find a used one or wait a long time.

Another assumption is that you meant CZ, not CV.  Those do have a decent reputation and are certainly "prettier" than the Chinese guns.  The hammers are wider apart and lower so cocking them both with a sweep of the hand like some do on the '78 is not so easy.  I had a Liberty II, which was an earlier version of the CZ.  It did not have as much drop to the stock as the 1878 and so I tended to shoot high with it, and eventually sold it and kept the 1878.  I can't say if the CZ's have the same stock angle.

Advertising

Re: Cimmaron coach gun vs CZ coach gun
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:45:41 AM »

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4837
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 07:37:34 PM »
I run the CZ Hammer Coach and love it. No work done on it, but built like a freaking tank and beautiful to boot. I have not used the Cimarron gun, but their stuff is usually good.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 420
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 02:02:32 AM »
I bought my 1878 in 2004, I know it was when Walt Johnson was importing them.
20 years ago, now.
It came with a set of lighter springs installed (and the OEM springs included in the box.
Sometime later Walt Johnson went to work at EMF, and they carried the same coach gun a few years.
Then Cimerron started offering them, then some supply and out of stock issues.
The prices went up, even used they were double my original purchase price.

There were several Turkish imports that cropped up under various import labels.
Adco was one about that time, and quickly disappeared.
Liberty & Liberty II's before that.
There was something about the Turk guns, parts if needed were non available and the guns themselves
would dry up.
Seemed every other issue of Guns of The Old West, had review of a new Turkish SXS offering.
Huglu was another hammer double manufacture seen in those pages.
Then poof unobtanium, then another importer would ease into sight.
It did not instill confidence in me to purchase a Turkish SXS Gun.

Side note: I was amazed at the sheer number of Turkish manufacturers of Shotguns...
                 everything from, Semi autos to AR style, pumps, single shot and doubles.
Even Mossburg imports from Turkey...

Just for fun scroll page after page of Turkish Shotgun manufactures listed A-Z  :o
 https://ammoterra.com/shotgunsmade-in-turkey-manufacturer

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4837
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 10:29:29 AM »
The CZ Hammer gun is made by Huglu.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2024, 09:21:12 AM »
I bought a Cimmaron 1878 coach gun at the gun show just yesterday. Dealer said he had it for just 2 weeks. Yes, it is made in China, but seems to have a lot of quality. I wasn't real sure that I even wanted a coach gun, but this one was just too pretty to pass up. I might even get around to actually shooting it one of these days.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024, 10:47:46 AM »

:) Well  ;)

A Lustrum or so ago, I ran a stable of three Chinese made 1878 replicas.  I messed with them alot, just for fun.  Switch Trigger, Cut Barrels, Light lever spring.  I like'd 'em alot.  I rated them as the best value for Dollar for a CAS Hammer Double.  THEN:  I ran into my Pedersoli.  Holy smokes, what a fine shotgun.  I just love fine gunz.  Sold off my Chinese guns.  Then discovered Pietta's 1878 Replica.  Super fine gun so I just hadda have one of those tooo.  Won't look back.

I haven't seen any of the "new" Cimarron 1878s.  Different Mfgr. I believe.  Dunno fer sure.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com