Author Topic: S&W Performance Center Schofield  (Read 6122 times)

Offline Yreka

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
S&W Performance Center Schofield
« on: December 03, 2005, 11:31:32 AM »
Howdy to All!

I've got a S&W Performance Center Schofield, blue 7" bbl. that I need some help evaluating. It's unfired, but the action has been turned. It has the display case, medallion, papers and plastic hard case. I can't find a listing in the current Blue Book and need to get some idea of what it might be worth.

Would be much obliged if y'all could help me figure it out. Need the proceeds to finance more practical CASS rig.

Thank y'all kindly for any help and advice.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
Re: S&W Performance Center Schofield
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 06:28:17 PM »
I've seen them in similar states for between $ 1100 and $1500 in the last year. Don't know what they actually sold for, but the second time I looked for them, they were gone.........Buck 8) :o :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Yreka

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 11:48:14 AM »
Thanks, Buck. I attend the Indy "1500" show regularly, but hadn't seen any offered that I recall. Seems there are usually a few Ubertis of one configuration or another, and the occasional San Marco, but nary a real "orange" to compare with.

At least I now have some ballpark idea of what to ask. It's the only item that I ever won in a raffle, so I really didn't have much of an idea what the retail NIB was. I reckon that I'll take it with me next time and see what interest there might be.

My curiousity has been killing me about what it'd be like to shoot for the last couple of years. I even bought a couple of boxes of Black Hills .45 S&W cartridges shortly after I got it. Trouble is that every time I'd take it out of the case and handle it I couldn't bring myself to do it. It's just too elegant for me to really believe it's a tool somehow.  Very weird, for me. I have several dozen firearms and this is the only "safe queen" in the bunch.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:53:55 PM »

Offline Yreka

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 12:24:40 PM »
Thanks for the link, Joss.  Looks to me as if the seller set his ad up wrong somehow. His "Buy It Now" price and the starting bid being the same kinda defeats the purpose of an auction, IMO. Leastways, I've never seen a "live" auction where folks would start bidding at a top dollar figure.

It does make me wonder if I oughtn't put an ad together and list it there. Anyone had any experience selling that way? I'd be much obliged for any tips, especially on where potential pitfalls are.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 03:45:41 PM »
Over time, I've seen their prices range from $1100 - $2000 - depending on 'when' they were offered and on what site.

Gun auctions seldom bring the 'true' retail value - but sometimes come close -  while the straight sale prices on www.Gunsamerica.com will give you an idea of what they're 'not' selling for...

Given that - decide what you really want for the piece and trade it to someone who'll either shoot it - as I do mine - or 'collect' it.

All of them that I ever saw have the turned-cylinder ring - it happened when they were fired at the S&W factory - so look at the breech face to see if it's been fired much beyond that.
Continued firing results in a distinct primer pocket mark that surrounds the firing pin's hole.

Good Luck.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 05:13:41 PM »
Hello,

Why not post it on the CasCity Classifieds? 

If you have the wooden box, and all the paperwork, and it hasn't been fired, $1400.00 or under probably will get it sold. 

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 06:57:10 PM »
The two I ran into were at small shops in my area. I believe one of them went home with a "collector" and more than likely is a safequeen..........Buck 8) :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 11:37:37 AM »
The real mistake S&W made was only chambering them in .45 Scohfield and not .45 Colt, plus the frame mounted firing pin to me looks awful.

Offline Yreka

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 01:38:52 PM »
I know what you mean, Joss. The only reasons that I can figure are that either they love to wrangle, or they might be a day or so overdue for their reality check. Some of 'em seem to carry the ol' "ask more than you expect" axiom a tad far, IMO. Can't blame 'em much for wanting to get the most they can on the deal, but those "Values" books ain't the Bible. Like my ol' Grandaddy told me, "The only reall worth of anything is what someone will pay you for it on any given day."

St. George:  From the look of the firing pin bushing and surrounding breech face, I don't believe that it's been fired since it was proved. Certainly I haven't done so, though I've been sorely tempted to on more than one occasion. I do have to admit that I have cocked it and tried the trigger a time or two. Still, the "ring" is so slight that no blue is missing anywhere and you have to get the light just right to see it.  With a difference of $900, looks like "when" and "where" are both worth about $450 come bettin' time. Makes me wish I was a better poker player for those stakes, that's for dang sure!

Two Flints: I'll check out the rules here and on other sites before I post it anywhere. I know that some venues insist on exclusivity for at least a period of time. While it's in my best interest, as I see it, to try and reach the largest number of potential buyers possible, I don't want to violate any user agreements in the process. The "brick & mortar" guys get an exception, but they pay the site for it. I can well understand why the moderators would want to avoid the headaches of mediating foorahs amongst their subscribers because somebody feels "cheated" when told it's already been sold and the fact wasn't evident in the thread. Especially when they're offering the service as a courtesy and aren't making a penny on the deal. More potential for bad Karma, I don't need.

Vigrinia Gent:  My guess is that the chambering was dictacted by "authenticity" and congruence with original production models. Something to do with the parsing of "re-production" and "reproduction", no doubt. Aesthetics aside, I can think of at least a couple of practical reasons why they might choose to go with the change to a frame-mounted FP, but I'd bet my second-best Bowie that the corporate lawyers' liability concerns had more to do with it. 

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 01:43:40 PM »
I guess the lawyers' less than authentic frame mounted hammer was ok, while a more practical chambering wasn't.  For my money, the replicas are better eventhough not roll marked S&W as they fire .45 Colt.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com