Author Topic: UBerti Schofield "sight picture"  (Read 5544 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
UBerti Schofield "sight picture"
« on: December 01, 2005, 01:52:34 PM »
Howdy to the camp.

On my current Uberti Schofield, if I use the notch in the bottom of the wide "U" of the barrel latch, it shoots really low with 250 grain 45 Colt and 230 grain 45 Schofield loads.  I have not been motivated enough to trim the front sight yet, so I have been using that wide "U" as sort of a battle sight notch, centering the blade in it, and level with the top.  This really puts it about point of aim.  It is OK for fast point shooting, but sucks for groups size or small targets like tin cans.

I know you can change bullet weight, besides trimming the sight, etc, etc.  I will trim it when I get a chance.  I was just wondering if anyone else has the same problem with the Uberti sight picture.  About 6 years ago I actually had one that was dead on using the notch, though the 44-40 Uberti Schofield I did an article on ten years ago had the same problem as the current one.

I know how to fix, but just curious.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coop Trawlaine

• Come sit by the fire and I'll tell ya a story.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Author-Member Western Writers of America
    • Walt Lange Word Slinger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: UBerti Schofield "sight picture"
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 02:07:37 PM »
This makes a person wonder about a Uberti, up until now I have heard many good things about the Brand of shooting iron, but today it just happened that I read almost the same post about Uberti shooting low with a heavy grain slug. This one about a Schofield and earlier in SCORRS about a '58 Remmington with the R&D conversion.   May be more than a coincidence.
Coop Trawlaine SASS #63617, SCORRS, WartHog, SUDDS #188, IPSAC #47
Aka: Walt Lange
"Trawlaine" ISBN 1-4137-7738-4
"Trawlaine's Land" ISBN -09479379-0-8
Western Writers of America
Society of Southwestern Authors
www.waltlange.com

Offline Happy Trails

• Citizen
    • The Smith Shop
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 10:08:23 PM »

Howdy TL,
You could always bring your sight to your local welder and have him fill in that half moon cut and re-file a nice square notch like on a Colt.

Hap
And may the good Lord take a likin' to ya.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:31:48 AM »

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 11:25:40 PM »
TL,

If you look at my post under "3-1/2" Schofield Shoots Low" you can see how I modified the front sights on my revolvers.  I shoot a 200 gr RNFP bullet and it now shoots to point of aim at 7 yards using the top of the rear sight notch.  For CAS targets this has served me well.

HHW

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 04:21:27 PM »
Even USFAs and other SAA types need correction for sight picture and for POA, so the Uberti Scohfield's sights are nothing new in that they too may need adjustment.  I tend to point shoot my guns anyway with acceptable results on the target.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com