Author Topic: .44 s&w schofield  (Read 3349 times)

Offline jim kessler

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.44 s&w schofield
« on: May 02, 2009, 12:14:10 PM »
 this gun is a family heirloom but im going to have to sell it. I took it to a local gun shop they showed it to me listed from 10,000.00 to 14,000.00 is this correct ? heres the info. I have .44 s&w schofield smith &wesson on revolvers butt stamped 5913 &  at end of butt stamped us ,  rightside of barrel s&w springfield, mass. pat.222 1878 &  left side is us pat. jan 17 th&24th 65   july 11 65  aug.24  69 july 25 71.  its finish is nickle , barrel length is 7 inches, & it is a .44 research a book called uniforms, arms, and ,equipment,  the us army on the western frontier 1880 - 1892.    ---  can anyone really tell me what I have ! ???

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: .44 s&w schofield
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 02:32:30 PM »
From your description, no.  The Schofield only came in .45.  If your gun is a .44 it is a different model.  To be worth the price you quoted, any old Smith would have to be in excellent condition.  You need to post some photos before you can get a proper ID and a reasonable price estimate.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 05:25:08 PM »
There is no such cartridge as ".44 S&W Schofield".  The Schofield model was chambered for .45 Revolver Ball, which we now call .45 Schofield.  It was basically the .45 Colt (aka .45 Long Colt, or .45 LC), with a slightly larger rim, and a cartridge case that was about 0.10" shorter than the Colt's cartridge.

The fact that you have the patent dates on either side of the barrel does indicate it is probably a Schofield.  It should say so on the LEFT side of the barrel.  If the locking latch is attached to the frame, rather than the top strap, and the grip is a smooth curve, rather than having any sort of bump, hump or knuckle on the backstrap of the gripframe, then it is likely a Schofield.  What barrel length is it?  If 7-inch from the front face of the cylinder to the muzzle, that is correct for an original Schofield.

If the side of the latch has a little round knurled boss on each side, with the rear sight rounded, then the gun is a 2nd Model Schofield, and with the serial number in the #59XX range, it should be!  As to the value of the gun, it depends on the condition.  In good shape, with a lot of finish and mechanically tight and sound, I would guess the price quoted is in the range.  But I would contact some of the known dealers and see what they estimate it.  It depends on how badly you need to sell it, of course.  Also, do you have any family history to go with it?  That might interest someone in addition to its intrinsic value.  Sorry, I am NOT in the market.

Hope this helps.

Oops! The patent dates are on the LEFT side of the barrel! :-[
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:28:37 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com