Author Topic: Favorite barrel length  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Favorite barrel length
« on: April 20, 2022, 10:09:22 AM »
This question isn't aimed at someone who only owns one SAA.  If you have owned all barrel lengths, 7 1/2, 5 1/2 and 4 3/4- which do you prefer and why? I have a 4 3/4

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Re: Favorite barrel length
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 10:22:32 AM »
I own all three standard lengths, plus a 3" "Ejectorless Model".  I've always felt the 4-3/4" was the the best balanced but I have to admit I enjoy shooting my full power black powder hand loads through the 7-1/2" the most.  (smile)

Dave

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 04:51:36 PM »
For elegant looks, the 7 1/2" wins hands down. Also, easier to shoot at longer range targets. BUT, drawing and re-holstering is a royal pain. Yes, you can use a crossdraw holster to help, but then you have to worry about the 170 Rule. I like ether the 4 5/8" or 5 1/2" for the much easier handling. The same issues applying to my Schofields and Opentops as well.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:52:53 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 07:06:53 PM »
Including replicas I have several 4 3/4", one 5 1/2", several 7 1/2" and one 3 1/2" (Thunderer). I certainly love the looks and balance of the 4 3/4".   I guess the question has to be asked as to whether you are asking for CAS use or not.  As Deacon mentioned, the shorter barrels are more convenient.  But when I'm not shooting conversions, the SAA's I shoot most are 7 1/2" .45's.  I have a method of drawing and reholstering with authentic leather which is easy but not too fast with butt forward.  But I also have a set of strong side holsters that are angled inward somewhat.  They look a little gamy which I'm not crazy about but let me draw them pretty easily.  Of course buscadero rigs are good for that (if you can make yourself wear one, haha). 

So, if you only have a 4 3/4" I'd say you NEED a 7 1/2 as well, and then you can decide if you NEED a 5 1/2 also.  It's really all about personal choice, very subjective.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 07:33:51 AM »

:) Davem  ;)

Allow me to throw in a little convolution if I may (doing it anyway  ::)).  I don't particularly care for longish barrels.  If held to OEM options from the prime manufacturers, I would choose 3 1/2 inch guns, so long as they have the Ejector assembly for balance.  In second place would be 4 3/4 inch, also for balance and feel in the hand.

I mostly shoot Percussion Guns.  My personal Cap Guns are 3 1/2 or 3 3/4 inch SNUBBIES, built on Pietta 1851 .44 guns, to retain a stub of the loading ram for balance (useless for loading).  Never met a barrel I didn't want to cut.  I also cut ALL my Open Tops to the Ejector Housing, resulting in a 4 7/16 inch barrel.  Balance is wonderful.

Play Safe Out There

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 07:40:19 AM »
 5 1/2 is my preference.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2022, 08:31:03 AM »
Well thanks everyone for the input. Besides the SSA with the 4 3/4" barrel I have a Navy 36 and some other revolvers.  In my opinion the longer the barrel the better accuracy of the shooter. What I mean is...you could clamp a 4 3/4" in a vise and the same with the 7 1/2 and they may both be equally accurate but if you hold one and shoot, the longer barrel often helps the shooter aim better- if that makes sense.  My issue was whether going from a 4 3/4" barrel to a 5 1/2" barrel enables the shooter to be a better shot or if the two lengths are about equal. I have a couplke of 357 Mag S&W and I can hit things easier with a 6" barrel than with a 4" barrel.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2022, 09:00:28 AM »
I have all 3, (.45 Colt) got to say the 7.5".  It just feels so good in the hand, and comes down out of recoil better than the others.  Pretty much cocks itself.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 10:22:43 AM »
Well thanks everyone for the input. Besides the SSA with the 4 3/4" barrel I have a Navy 36 and some other revolvers.  In my opinion the longer the barrel the better accuracy of the shooter. What I mean is...you could clamp a 4 3/4" in a vise and the same with the 7 1/2 and they may both be equally accurate but if you hold one and shoot, the longer barrel often helps the shooter aim better- if that makes sense.  My issue was whether going from a 4 3/4" barrel to a 5 1/2" barrel enables the shooter to be a better shot or if the two lengths are about equal. I have a couplke of 357 Mag S&W and I can hit things easier with a 6" barrel than with a 4" barrel.

The 7 1/2 gives better stability for longer distance shooting but is a pain to carry in the saddle. The 5 1/2 is better in the saddle but the 4 3/4 is even better in the saddle. I carried both my 5 1/2 and 7 1/2 in the cross draw in the saddle with better results. The "Hollywood Holsters" are a myth when it comes to experiencing the horse and saddle days.

It is all subjective as to what fits your needs.
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

Offline The original bad bob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2022, 01:01:07 PM »
If historical accuracy of the halcyonic period of the old west matters to you... Then it’s the 7-1/2” barrel.... If you were to obtain a Colt factory letter on a SAA made up until the mid 1880’s it doesn’t even list the barrel length because 7-1/2” was considered standard.

As other members have stated the shorter Barrel length are more handy to carry.
A lot of original 19th century Colt SAA’s had their 7-1/2” barrels cut to 5” ... for some reason 5” was the common modification . if you spend enough time in the antique gun market you will notice this.. The quality of this modification varied from very good to hack job. LOL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com