Author Topic: Conversion of Original Spencer with Stabler Cut-Off Device  (Read 6830 times)

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Conversion of Original Spencer with Stabler Cut-Off Device
« on: April 27, 2005, 01:19:18 PM »
Hi,

Maybe someone out there has an answer to my (hypothetical) question.

;D  Suppose I find an original rimfire Spencer in pristine condition, and which is also equipped with a Stabler Cut-Off Device. 

??? ??? ???  Could I convert this original rim fire Spencer with Stabler Cut-Off Device to shoot centerfire, and still keep the Stabler Cut-Off Device in it's normal working order allowing  me a single shot capability?   Or, by doing the conversion to Centerfire, do I lose the single shot capability that the Stabler Cut-Off provides?   ??? ??? ???

Does anybody know the answer to this question? 

Thanks for any help SSS

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Conversion of Original Spencer with Stabler Cut-Off Device
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 03:15:56 PM »
Two Flints
Doing a center fire conversion to a Spencer will not effect the functionality of the Stabler cutoff.   But the Stabler cutoff is a pain in the A$$.  It didn’t function well in 1865 and nothing has changed.
Terry
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 06:39:16 PM »
Terry,

How is it a pain?  Can you be a bit more specific?  It does do what it's supposed to,  right,  it does give you that single shot capability.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:51:30 AM »

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 09:55:08 PM »
Two Flints
I does do what it was designed to do but it doesn’t always stay put.  Sometimes it moves half way and stops the lever from going full travel.  It has to be in the perfect position for it to work right. 
It is difficult to get the correct amount of tension on the screw so that it will move when you want it to and also stay put when it is suppose to. 
If you want to use a Spencer for single shot you are better off just not loading the magazine.     
(start here)  Point the gun down at about a 45 degree angle and  open the breach slowly until  you have just enough room to slide in a cartridge making sure the blade extractor is resting against the breach.  Slide in a cartridge close the breach cock and fire.  Open the breach fully, remove the empty, close the breach completely and repeat the entire process from the “start here” point.   This is the system that I used when I was shooting my 1860 Spencer for competition and it worked fine for me. Your mileage may vary.
Terry
Terry
Free Mason
Alabama Gun Slingers
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 02:54:48 PM »
Major,

So, what your saying is...I could also shoot my Taylor Spencer as a single shot carbine by following your method of loading as described above, right?  Appreciate your comments and help.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 03:19:09 PM »
Two Flints
Actually it’s easier with the Armi-sport if you have the 56-50 version.  This gun uses the Lane extractor and you don’t have to worry about the blade extractor flopping back. 
Single feeding one of the Armi-sport ones in 44 Russian or 45 Schofield is a lot trickier as the two paddle extractors don’t always move together.
Terry
Terry
Free Mason
Alabama Gun Slingers
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member

Offline Glenn

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 10:54:27 PM »
The first 60 rounds I ran through my Spencer were all single loaded.  I loaded the cartridges long
 and they weren't designed to go through the mag.  I just droped the lever to just before the extractor
began to move to the rear and shoved it in.  If you get it too far back, stick the cartridge nose in and
 work the block up in stages while seating the cartridge a little further in each time.(or just close it
and try again).  I've never tried one with the Stabler but I don't know why it wouldn't work.  It
 simply limits the amount the breech block can open and prevents a cartridge from moving out
 of the magazine.
I plan to try the longer loads for accuracy later on.  They look great, sorta like the 56-52.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com