Author Topic: What are your thoughts on lining holsters  (Read 6104 times)

Offline Bitterwheat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What are your thoughts on lining holsters
« on: October 17, 2005, 06:46:11 PM »
What are you thoughts on lining holsters? Is it a good thing to do or not.  What are the pros and cons on it

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: What are your thoughts on lining holsters
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 07:46:23 PM »
I would say it is a must to line a holster with Veg-tan leather if you are using Chrome tanned leather as the outer layer.  I have alwyays heard that Chrome tan is a no-no with a firearm's finish.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Offline laffalotlouie

• Citizen
  • Golden Heart Shootist Society
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 08:30:46 PM »
I have never lined a holster.  I've heard both pros and cons for it, so I guess it comes down to personal preferrence.  If you do line, the majority of makers I have talked to, or read from, suggest smooth.  The concern is that rough leather, such as suede, can trap debris and cause scratching on the gun. 

Lining a holster always seemed like way too much hassle for the supposed benefits and most of the original holsters I've seen weren't lined.  They also were made of much thinner leather than what most of use (8-9 oz or thicker).

Later,

Laff-a-lot Louie
What gun is my favorite?  The one in my hand when the shootin' starts.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:47:35 AM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 08:47:16 PM »
I use thicker leather than 3-4oz for linings. That way I get additional rigidity after the holster is finished. Good for match holsters, but certainly not period correct. I prefer single-thickness holsters made like the originals but they aren't as good for holding a rigid shape. Like Laffalotlouie said, it's a matter of preference. I use both. The pair of holsters in this photo are made with two layers of 8-9oz leather. I had to really soak 'em just to wrap them around to sew. They were a bit more work to wet mold, too. They don't change shape at all, though.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 09:28:31 PM »
Both ways are fine with the smooth lining adding a very slight margin of protection for the gun and a just as slight amount of reduction in drag on the draw,at a fair increase in cost of making.  You can have the best of both worlds with a ruff-out holster.  Not period correct but it looks rustic and should have been there.  For a unique looking rig on a budget make the holster ruff-out with an oval skirt loop attached with the grain side showing.  Use oil or tan for the main holster and a darker color for the skirt loop.  For lots of class with very little effort just border stamp the loop and add a conservative concho to it.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 11:32:30 AM »
Nice rigs, Marshal Will!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 09:00:03 PM »
Thanks, pard. The only drawback is that they don't fit my Remmies. :-\ I guess I'll be making another rig soon. ;)

Offline Kid Cavalier

• Have Cards Will Travel
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Kid Cavalier
  • SASS #: 35602
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 12:16:00 AM »
I line all of my holsters (unless someone specifically wants unlined ???)
This is for;
Longer useful life of the holster.
Better fit and gun retention.
Safer for the Gun finish.
I use 7 oz leather for the face and 5 oz for the liner.  Makes a great holster.
KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

Offline E.R.Beaumont

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 01:01:55 AM »
Howdy Pards.

How about you make the main holster rough out like our pard Slowhand suggested, then you use a lighter(or not)weight leather as a cover.  Kinda like you make the holster inside out.  I've done this when I put an "English Toad Skin" face on a 'hide out rig' for a short Schofield.

I like lined holsters I think that they have a more  finished, professional look. They are much stiffer and can retain the pistol better.  Lots of Pards say that "Most holsters then were not lined." maybe not .  What I do know is that there is always more cheap junk on the market than premium goods.  It was the same then, lots of mass market junk from the eastern supply houses  The big name Saddlers/holster makers did put a lineing in their premium lines. They also used heavy weight leather.  Not everyone did, and not all lines from the premium makers were, but it is period correct.

Just my two bits.
Regards, Beaumont
SASS Life#21319
NRA Life, Endowment
CCRKBA Life

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 08:54:43 AM »
I'll be lining my new rig when I make it. The ones I am using still work fine but I want a better pair since the current ones were just to prove the holster pattern. I'll be changing a thing or two when I make the new pair (what's new, I never make any the same as the previous ones, anyway :D).

Offline Rap Scallion

• Active citizen
  • Strikingly Handsome
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 08:36:05 PM »
Personal preference and $, is what determines the lining, in my book.

I can and have done them both ways and prefer to use two leathers like KC to add up to around 10-12oz, when a customer wants a lining.  I donot think that the purpose, or way that we use our guns now days has any resemblence to 1890.  A holster then was simply a belt puch to carry a tool, with a minimal amount of asthetics.  I don't recommend linings to my customers, but will make it however it is wanted.  I donot use any chrome tanned leather or roughout pig or suedes.  Veg tans with smooth sides out only!

I don't really think that the lining helps the ease of drawing, keeps the guns finish safer or cleaner, than unlined rigs and when I am building a holster there is an additional charge for lining!  In the game we are in today,  we buy a rig for several hundreds of dollars and then in a year or two sell or trade it.  Not something I would want to sink a ton of money into.  Kind of like buying extras or accessories for the company car we are going to trade in at a certain date or milage  .......possibly but not likely.  I just don't prefer linings.

W G Martin
Live Oak, Texas
USMC 1959-70 RVN Vet
NRA/TSRA/SASS#54735

To ride hard, shoot straight, and tell the truth!

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis!

Harve Curry

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2005, 08:56:48 AM »
I have a pair of boots that are horse hide lined. They are very smooth and slick.
Is horse hide a good choice for lining if your goal is to protect the finish of a expensive sixshooter?
Is smooth side out cowhide or some other just as good?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com