Author Topic: !866 Lever gun  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
!866 Lever gun
« on: September 07, 2023, 02:53:23 PM »
I have recently acquired a 1866 iron frame mark Tristar S.A. Ltd.N.K.C. Made in Italy. Does anyone know who made this rifle?
Thank You

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1216
Re: !866 Lever gun
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 04:08:58 PM »
I believe you have a Chaparral.  There never was historically an iron frame '66 but Chaparral had a model they called that.  Looks like a '73 at first glance.

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 10:37:03 PM »
Howdy Galen,

That's a new one on me. I have a couple of brass '66's which are my main match rifles (actually carbines). Any chance you could post a photo?

Rev. Chase

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:33:08 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 11:17:22 PM »
+ 1 to Abilene...Tri Star is an importer in North Kansas City MO.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 11:28:41 PM »
I may be misremembering and getting confused with the Henry Big Boy, but I'm thinking that the brass '66's that Chaparral sold were actually brass-plated steel.  If that were the case, it would have been easy for them to skip the plating on some and call them iron frame transitional '66's.

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 05:17:29 AM »
I'd post a photo but I don't know how.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 06:44:46 AM »
Send it to my email I'll post it for you, if you like.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2023, 09:02:29 AM »

:)Hey All  ;)

Big PLUS ONE for Abilene and Major 2.

Chaparral indeed made basically steel framed 1866 replicas.  Most were Brass Plate'd to look like an actual '66 and some were completed sans the brass plating.  Unfortunately, the majority of those rifles were rife with manufacturing errors, substandard parts and some had a "wrapped" faux finish on the wood although some actually sported actual stain finished wood.

The guns were made in the same factory as Armi San Marco guns and suffered the exact same Quality Control problems as ASM.  There was no QC.  Working on them was a nightmare.  Mostly the replacement parts were actually worse than the parts to be replaced.  If asked in advance, I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one.  Chaparral is long out of business and there are NO parts available.  If it breaks, it becomes and instant 3D wall decoration.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 1866 Lever gun - now with photo
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2023, 10:46:04 AM »
Here is your photo, Dan

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2023, 06:16:15 PM »
Thank You.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2023, 07:54:43 PM »
What caliber?

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2023, 08:02:45 AM »
357 mag.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2023, 09:23:17 AM »

:) Galen & All  :D

Let me toss in a CAVEAT or two > > > Chaparral fielded some absolutely gorgeous Rifles (and some SAA replicants).  Gorgeous Krap, but gorgeous none the less as Galen's rifle attests.  Really good looking rifle Galen!!

The most egregious and most common flaws in the Chaparral rifles was the Breach Block (Bolt) and Head Space.  The bolt commonly had only a partial cartridge guide at the bottom of the Beach Block, or it was missing altogether.  There are some rare good gunsmiths today who can fix that problem with a permanent fix.  Head Space is a little more difficult.  Regardless of the actual "numbers" revealed when checking head space, if the rifle fires reliably regardless, LEAVE IT ALONE and be happy with a rifle that works and is actually somewhat unique.  At a CAS match, literally everybody is gonna ask you "What is That??" and "Where can I get One??."

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2023, 11:38:22 AM »
I recall being at the 07 Shot Show in Orlando.
On my rounds I visited the Charter Arms Booth, it was rather large area 30 X 60 I believe.
Freeman Decorating Co. was the general contractor, and I was one of the contractors supervisors.
Within the booth they had 2 FDC 2x8 rental tables.
Displayed on these were two then newly imported Cimarron Chaparral 1873's, and 3 Single Action revolvers and a
Coach Gun. It was obvious to me Charter Arms planned to get into importing CAS firearms.
I don't recall the CA Factory Rep name, I did have his business card though,
and it stated Charter Arms Western Action.

Later I wrote a first impression of the Chaparral 73's, for the SASS wire (it may have been posted on CAS City as well.)

In the review, I noted the wood to metal gaps were excessive, fit & finish was lacking and the wood
was a mystery species with painted or stenciled graining.

I took some response heat from the Charter Arms Rep. If I recall, he was a CA Veep of some clout.
 He claimed these SHOW guns were prototypes. He also claimed one could get real Walnut stocks at a later date. He chastised me saying I should allow some slack as these were Chaparral prototypes.

I countered, "This was the Shot Show" EVERYONE is putting the products best foot froward in the major industry show.  Why would anyone not wish to show case the best of their new product? "

Within a few months Charter Arms was no longer involved with Chaparral or accepting returns for warranty. I seem to recall the VEEP Rep was no longer at Charter Arms either.

You might check the search feature here on CAS City, much was discussed about Chaparral, some worked, others didn't. 

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2023, 12:13:04 PM »
...Displayed on these were two then newly imported Cimarron 1873's, and 3 Singal Action revolvers and a Coach Gun. It was obvious to me Charter Arms planned to get into importing CAS firearms....

I think you meant to write "Chaparral" there.

There was a CAS store in Central Texas for a few years, before one of the owners died, and they sold a number of the Chapparal rifles. So there were a few seen in use in these parts, but not by the really fast guys.  By this time, they had real wood though usually pretty plain.   IIRC, they did at least have the trap door in the butt plate.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2023, 09:53:52 AM »

:) Just For Fun  ;)

Iffin you want to know why myself and most other Gunplumbers finally refused to work on Chaparral rifles,  Peddle on down to the 1876 Board and scroll down to a thread from GeezerD.  It makes really interesting reading.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2023, 11:27:29 AM »
I think you meant to write "Chaparral" there.

There was a CAS store in Central Texas for a few years, before one of the owners died, and they sold a number of the Chapparal rifles. So there were a few seen in use in these parts, but not by the really fast guys.  By this time, they had real wood though usually pretty plain.   IIRC, they did at least have the trap door in the butt plate.
yeah... brain fart I guess

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com