Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1873

Winchester - Miroku 1873 with black powder?

<< < (4/4)

Coffinmaker:

:)  Nuisance Here)

I am agreement with Abilene and Pettifogger here.  With perhaps a Caveat.  For the last many Lustrum, I have only shot CAS.  And in shooting CAS, I haven't messed with "long" range at all.  However:

I once toted three of my CAS rifles, all 45 Colt, out to the range with the appropriate number of empty (specified) Pizza Boxes to establish some accuracy information.  After running about 50 rounds thru each, A '73, A "66 and Henry, I observed the group size, group position relating to point of aim and all that paper punching nonsense.

My conclusion was thus.  Everything I shot grouped at the least, into minute of pie plate out to 50 yards.  Hence, since I regularly shoot at 14 X 18 inch targets, the information acquired was actually useless Trivia.  Moot point if you will.  I wasn't missing rifle targets before I went paper punching, and don't miss rifle targets after paper punching.  Of course, since my recovery from a debilitating Bench Rest addiction many Lustrum ago, paper punching has held no real interest.  Burma Shave.

People are still Contagious.  Avoid Them

Dave T:
I'm with the Coffinmaker on this one. I haven't shot a bench, sandbag, or other wise rested group with either of the Miroku '73s I have. I can't do CAS anymore because of disability problems. For the same reason I'll never go hunting again either. I'm trying to relive the 19th Century experience of shooting these copies with ammo that duplicates the original ballistic performance of the BP 44 WCF.

My test for accuracy and sighting in with the latest one, a Saddle Ring Carbine, was to put up a 10" steel plate at 50 yards and try to hit it. Why 10"? Because I can't see the sights all that well anymore, although the SRC front sight is easier to see than the standard rifle front. And because, again with the disability, I can't hold all that steady. Point being, with the first 5 shots I hit it 3 times and called the 2 misses. The guy with me, who's about 10 years younger and that much steadier, hit it 5 for 5. Don't need to put it on paper. It will do if I can. I might even put up a 6" plate I have and try that one...on a good day.  (smile)

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version