Special Interests - Groups & Societies > BROW

Favorite Caliber

<< < (2/5) > >>

J.D.Cayhill:
From what I have read the two most used calibers on big shaggies were 45-70 and 44-77. The 44-77 was the big favorite until the 45-70 became more available.

I currently load for 43 Spanish, 40-65, 45-70 and 45-90. Which one is my favorite? It's the one I happen to be shooting at the time. ;)

Delmonico:
I would say the 44-77 was second, there are reasons for my answer.  the greastest number of buffalo killed for hides only were killed in southwestern Nebraska, western Kansas and northern Texas from the start of the "Great Hunt" in the spring of 1872 when the market for raw hides opened up to about 1877 when most of the Southern Herd was destroyed.  The two most popular callibers were 50-70 and 44-77 with the 45-90 coming in third.  The 45's did not come into the line till 1876 according to Frank Barnes.

So most of the southern herd was gone by then.  The 44-77 was considered light by some and most used a 50 cal if they could get their hands one one.  Also the ammo given to the hunters by the army was of the 50-70 type, the 45-70 coming in in 1873 and most was needed to build up stock, the 50-70 was phased out and was less useful to the army.  Also loose powder and stocks of Minne balls were also given away, left over from the Springfield muzzle-loaders.  There is no offical records of the ammo give away, only accounts by hunters of being offered this, perhaps another Goverment Conspiracy for those who like such stuff.

Also many hunters early in the careers used the 50-70 Trapdoor, called a needle gun by many hunters.  The older models such as the conversions from 1863 Springfiels were sold cheap on the frontier as the newer models came out.

These are the reasons I say the 50-70 killed the most buffalo for hides.  One could also use the free 50-70 ammo in a 50-90 if desired.

As for a begaining BPRC a 45-70 is the best choice, brass is cheap, dies are cheap, recoil is tolerable for most who have no shoulder problems and it will do any thing that is needed.

Silver Creek Slim:
I would agree with Del. This meshes with the limited research I have done. If I remember correctly, Billy Dixon used a .44-77 as his main rifle. But, he used a .50 at Adobe Walls 'cuz he lost his in a river a day or so before the fight began.

Slim

Advertising:

gw:
I put about 12 books on the buffalo era on my Christmas "wish list', so, if 'ol Santa delivers, I'll have a lot of readin' to do and somewhere down the road be able to answer this question. As far as a favorite cartridge goes I don't really have one, though I am partial to loadin' the 45-2.6 case.

GW

Delmonico:
My research of 30 some years on this says, Billy dixon lost his 50-90 in the river a few days before and had to buy a 44-77 because thats all that was on hand at The Walls.  A lesser shot,, Hannrahan, (I'd have to dig for his first name) that ran the resteraunt at the Walls traded rifles with him because Billy was such a better long range shot.

Billy Dixon always sait his 1591 yard shot was just luck and it was in part, but he made another shot at around 850 yards or so the same day, so I would add a bit of skill to the luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version