Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1876

Chapperal 50-95 Short Rifle ------ Update ( Pics Added )

(1/6) > >>

GeezerD:
 I just bought a new Chapperal 1876 short rifle in 50-95 on Gunbroker for $500. The pictures look good but I haven't laid my hands on it yet. I discovered this forum while doing research on the rifle. It appears they have had some problems in the past.

I am hoping this is one of the good ones, but time will tell. It is just that I have always wanted a 50 caliber levergun and I can't afford another mortgage. ----------------------------------- GeezerD     8)

Pitchy:
Congratulations, looking forward to seeing, hearing more about it.  8)

GeezerD:
The sights have got to go. I will replace them with an original semi-buckhorn Winchester rear sight and a Marbles brass bead front sight.  The bore slugs at about .510 dia. so I have a pretty good selection of bullets available. In just eyeballing the rifling it appears to make about a half a turn in about 20 inches. The one serious issue I see is the flat on the bottom of the firing pin that overides the hammer is so long and deep it just barely cocks the hammer. Also the firing pin can rotate about 30 degrees against the retractor.

I have an original 1876 apart on my bench to compare it to when I tear it down.  I will probably just make a new FP in my lathe.
Overall it looks like a pretty decent 1876 " Kit " for the money.

I will try to post some photos when I get a chance. --------------------------------------- GeezerD    :-\

Advertising:

Pitchy:
Well Geezer sounds like your off to a fairly good start and like myself it`s good when ya can make some of the parts.
Thanks for the up-date and looking forward to the pics and range report.  8)

GeezerD:
I have taken this rifle completly apart and other than the usual deburring and polishing the firing pin and retractor need to be replaced, the bolt face and rim support nub at the bottom of the bolt face need to be reworked,and I will replace the sights.

I measure the twist rate at  1 in 36 inches and groove diameter at a tight .511 so it should handle a variety of bullets up to 400gr.
or maybe a bit more.  The magazine tube is retained by a lip on the magazine cap and an oversize pin through the mag. support ring, which addresses one of the common complaints.

The only screw I had trouble removing was the filler screw in the front tang sight mounting hole.  Overall fit and finish are acceptable.
In spite of the stocks being made out of some kind of hardwood, they look surprisingly like vintage walnut.

The importer is Tri-Star S.A. Ltd. so I am not sure when it was made.   ------------------------------- GeezerD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version