Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Shotguns

87 lever action shotguns and Chinese clone

<< < (2/2)

Rowdy Fulcher:
Howdy
I think the short barreled 87 would be fun to bird hunt with ( Quail ) , has anyone tried them Quail  hunting ?

litl rooster:

--- Quote from: Rowdy Fulcher on November 12, 2013, 04:48:54 PM ---Howdy
I think the short barreled 87 would be fun to bird hunt with ( Quail ) , has anyone tried them Quail  hunting ?

--- End quote ---

I have seen 2 quail in the wild in the past 15 years. I agree though it would be fun but so would any on my twice pipes

--- Quote ---
--- Quote from: Pancho Peacemaker on February 23, 2011, 07:19:27 AM ---1)  There is a perception that the '87 is not as "fast" as a SxS or a '97.  The '87 can be as competitive as other shotguns, but it does require ALOT more practice and effort to get it "fast".

2)  Out of the box, the IAC '87 can have some problems.  Most folks who use '87's have them tweaked by a good gunsmith to function reliably.

3)  Original '87's are black-powder only.  They are also very high dollar collector items.

Do a google search for "Coyote Cap".  He is one of the better known gunsmiths working on the '87.  He worked closely with the Chinese to get the '87 reproduction up and running.  His web site has lots of info on the IAC '87.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Make yourself dummy rounds if you go with one of these and practice.

--- Quote from: WaddWatsonEllis on February 23, 2011, 10:22:52 AM ---Hello,

One thing about them ... the lever must be levered with enthusiasm in order for spent shells to exit the action properly ....

--- End quote ---

I think any of us who use them could't express this enough. It is also true with a pump shotgun and or rifle.

will52100:
I've got one of Cap's early ones, got the cast frame and it was a display gun at Shot Show.  Cap worked it over and it's slick as snot and fast as lighting.  If it's slower than a SXS, it's a mater of fractions of a second for the string of 4-8 shots.

Advertising:

WaddWatsonEllis:
Hi,

One of the few things my father drilled into me (as a lifetime maintenance officer) was to buy the best tools that you know of ...

That is why I have a Cap Coyote '87 and a Codymatic '73.

My main issue is that if I fire the Codymatic first, it is so slick that I tend to attempt ( and that is the correct word) to use the '87 the same way ... and it is a given that an expended shell will go vertical but not out ... ending up vertical halfway in the chamber.

Then, as I stare stupidly at the gun, I realize it is an 87 clone and not a 73 clone ... then I use 'alacrity' ( a less kind man might have used the word slammed) with the lever, and my problem just seems to fade.

TTFN,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version