Special Interests - Groups & Societies > BROW

Loads

<< < (3/4) > >>

mr phil:

--- Quote from: PJ Hardtack on May 12, 2012, 10:08:36 AM ---The 'manual' you're looking for is: "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West" by Mike Venturino - hunting loads, target loads; all you need to know and more.

--- End quote ---
:D

This may be a little late , but thanks for the tip. I just ordered the book on Amazon. ;)

WaddWatsonEllis:
Hi.

I ordered mine from Amazon.com,but I am thinking that PJ would be more pleased to get it from a Canadian Source, and I would guess that the book  company that St Charles plugs would have it ...

TTFN

Sir Charles deMouton-Black:

--- Quote from: WaddWatsonEllis on December 08, 2013, 07:57:14 PM ---Hi.

I ordered mine from Amazon.com,but I am thinking that PJ would be more pleased to get it from a Canadian Source, and I would guess that the book  company that St Charles plugs would have it ...

TTFN

--- End quote ---

It's now part of a BIG dot-com, but it started in my hometown of Victoria;

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BuyersMenu

Advertising:

PJ Hardtack:
Venturino didn't say much about 'paper' cartridges in his book, nor did Sellers. At least not on how to make them up. But, it ain't rocket science ....
Roll tubes out of any combustible material (newsprint, printer paper, etc.), glue them shut. Inset the lubed bullet, pour in the powder charge and either twist or fold over the ends. I found no practical advantage in using nitrated paper.
You can make them chamber length or over long and allow the 'cigar cutter' of the breech face to shear off the end and expose the powder. That causes some spillage and powder accumulation where you don't want it.

Before inserting the next round, I always check to see f there is a bit of glowing paper, usually where the glue was applied. A quick blow clears it.

If your rifle is a .50, it's even easier. Roll a lubed bullet with a 60 gr .54 calibre Pyrodex pellet in the paper - done.

--- Quote from: sulferburner on June 15, 2012, 12:25:42 AM ---PJ  does that book have anything in it about the paper cartrige rifles like the 1863?

--- End quote ---

Gabriel Law:
For my Shiloh Sharps 45-70, MVA long range Soule and MVA globe front sights

BACo 443530E bullet cast 16:1 lead/tin to .443" - paper patched wet with .0015" onion skin to .4495"
Winchester brass fire formed, neck sized only in 45 ACP FL sizing die 5/16" - case mouths annealed
Cases primer hole bored to .087", de-burred in and out
newspaper disc over inside of primer hole
86.5 gr. Swiss 1 1/2Fg trickled into case, .053" hard card wad over powder and compressed with die .010" -leaves .125" for bullet
Patched bullets seated by hand (snug)
Clean between shots:  one wet, one dry

Consistent groups around 1 1/2 moa @ 100 m.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version