Author Topic: Camping accessory reviews  (Read 175286 times)

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Camping accessory reviews
« on: July 14, 2008, 10:32:44 PM »
With camping season in full swing I’m always on the look out for items to make my life in camp more comfortable or my packing lighter. I would love to hear about camping items you recommend or don’t recommend for any era camp.

Camping Towel…I bought the human shamy for about $3. It’s a foot wide and 3 feet long. The package shows a lady (with short hair) in a swimsuit drying her hair. It doesn’t work worth a ….on my hair..but is good for the body out of the shower. I didn’t try it over clothing.  Yes I tried this before I was stuck with it in camp. It will be a great alternative to packing a couple towels (except if I want to wash my hair)
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Camping accessory reviews
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 01:07:02 AM »
Here's an oldie for short trips and fresh eggs.  See if you can find a couple of old Alka Seltzer bottles with lids and wash them in really hot water to sterilize them.  Break the eggs carefully and put them in the bottles.  Each bottle should hold about 5 to seven eggs.  Put a piece of Saran wrap over the top of each one and carefully screw the lid on.

Now when you're ready you can pour out one egg at a time as you need them, easily separate the yolks and whites and, if the weather isn't too hot, have eggs that are good for a couple of days, maybe longer.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 05:50:08 AM »
Angel, take a look at:

http://laidbackracing.com/

There’s an ole gal there what writes a column on campin’ ‘n grillin’ recipes. Some of the simple stuff she does ya just wouldn’t think about. Stuff like Forty just wrote. It’s geared towards racin’ tailgaters ‘n track campers but it looks to me all would work in the woods.

Scroll down ‘n watch the left the page for ‘Tips & Recipes’. Don’t think they archive the things ‘n she don’t write every week.

My tip on campin’, 1-888-HOLIDAY. 
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:58:54 PM »

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 07:48:37 AM »
   Forty, you ever been to Mule Days in Bishop?   If enny you ever get chance watch the pack string races. Them people pack aigs in the natural container

Scarlett,  every one I know that camps does it in a different manner, personally I prefer Horse back with a pack animal.  My Bride prefers one you unhook from a truck or motel ::)

If I take a tent, I prefer one of these you can roll your bed roll up in it. Top pack it or throw it in the truck, about 2 minutes to set up.  I go camping to get away and don't plan on woking while I do it.

http://www.thundermountaintentandcanvas.com/id7.html
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 08:00:19 AM »
I'm too old to sleep outside anymore. A travel trailer or mini-motorhome would be more my style.  I spent alot of time living in tents in the Army.  What about one of those "Shamm  WoW towels they been advertizing on TV?
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 09:07:29 AM »
My husband tried the "camping towel" said it was better than nothing..I don't think it'll work good for anybody that has much hair on their body.

Forty- I like the egg container idea. :)

Arcey I will check out the link this afternoon. Thanks for posting it. I Like 888 Holiday too. It's what I use on vacations without my horse...Don't think he falls under the pets accepted clause  :D

Roo...guess it depends on what you want to do. My camping trips involve the horse. So we pitch the tent since I have not found a living quarters horse trailer I like and can afford. Since we usually have one spot to camp and ride back to it each night I don't have to worry bout a pack horse. But I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen some day.

TL I will have to take a look at the Shamm Wow towel and see if it's like what I have.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 03:28:53 PM »
Well if ya want comfort, the Coleman air matresses are nice.  Never thought I'd have one, but with Lil's back the way it is, we got one.  Found a bonus use fer it, I drug it outta the tent one day an threw it in the river.  The thing is like a floating island out there, strangers were beggin ta climb aboard.
     Of course if ya get one of them ya gotta get the little pump (you did say any era), it takes all the work outta inflatin AND deflatin.  It's small enough ta pack too.
     At least one gasoline pump lantern is good ta have on hand, cause when ya run outta propane, you can usualy find gasoline without havin ta go on an all day journey.  If ya keep yer eyes open at yard sales, you can find just about any camp appliance that uses propane these days fitted fer gasoline.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 03:53:29 PM »
These little grills er nice too if ya need ta pack light.  They assemble in 5 minutes an do the job, most large groceries carry them this time of year and they are cheap.  I was satisfied with mine.  Of course, cooking over the camp fire is nice, but not everyone wants ta bother when they're vacation campin an not in a renactment scenario.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 04:07:28 PM »
An here's the floatin island on the left after bein comandeered by a couple of kids.  Ignore the galoot on the right, he'd appreciate it ;D

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 05:18:32 PM »
I pack light if you don't count the cook gear and the food, bedroll, maybe 75 pounds and a cloth bag with clothes, camera and that's it, 'cepth the 1000 pounds or more of cook gear. 

If I was you, I'd make room for a 12 inch deep dutch oven, don't know how much cook gear ya pack, but that could take the place of most of it.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 06:30:29 PM »
A 12 in. Dutch oven can be used cooking just about anything you can imagine from bisquits to main dishes, to desserts.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 08:28:49 PM »
I'm too old to sleep outside anymore. A travel trailer or mini-motorhome would be more my style.  I spent alot of time living in tents in the Army.  What about one of those "Shamm  WoW towels they been advertizing on TV?

"You know it's good because it's made in Germany"  Can anyone explain that line to me?  I thought Germans were known for their electronics, knives and automobiles.  When did they become known for their towels??  The reason why I'm here today is because their textiles industry went south (literally to Spain and Italy ;D).

For non-period camping I had the following list:

COFFEE & COFFEE POT
BEER
SLEEPING BAG AND PAD
TENT
UNDER TENT TARP
MALLET
CAMP STOVE AND/OR SMALL CHARCOAL GRILL
PROPANE FUEL CANISTER
MATCHES/LIGHTER
BAG CHARCOAL (EASY LIGHT)
COLLAPSABLE WATER CONTAINER 5 GAL.
SMALLER WATER CONTAINERS 1 OR 2 QUART FOR HIKING   
FLASHLIGHTS OR LANTERN
FIRST AID KIT
COOLER
COOKWARE
PLASTIC FORKS, KNIVES, SPOONS
LONG HANDLE SPATULA OR FORK FOR GRILLING
PLATES
SMALL DISHWASHING LIQUID
TRASH BAGS
PAPER TOWELS
TOILET PAPER
FOLD UP CHAIR
CAN & BOTTLE OPENER

I probably forgot something there, but that's basically it for a comfy camping trip.  Except for the tent and sleeping bag, it all fits in a Rubbermaid tote.

Most of the time now, I don't worry about the lantern because unless you're in the deep woods, you can see fine without it.  It just attracts bugs anyway.

For a period camp, I bring:

Bedroll
Beer

I haven't tried a flint and steel yet, so I depend on others to start the fire. ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 08:38:55 PM »
Those are great pics Leo. That fella on the right looks like he's havin the most fun...gives a new meaning to water bed.

I have a Aero bed-camp version...has a pump that you charge before leaving the house...attach to bed..up in 60 seconds...I love this bed although it doesn't make all my camping trips with me. Sometimes cot under the stars is fine, most the time I pitch the tent to avoid bugs and elements. I will recommend the bed though...I've let a couple people with bad backs borrow it and they've gone and gotten their own.

We also won one of those portable bbq's that is on wheels, runs on propane...pretty nice I'll have to get some pics of it...but it is big when your trying not to pack alot. Lantern I have runs on batteries...most the time we use campfire lite though.

Del my dad is a huge fan of duch oven and cast iron cookery. He has the set up you can hang over the fire. We would live on soup and chili if we left him in charge of it...Which I don't have much of a problem with. Course I'd have to watch what kind of meat went into the pot.  :D

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 08:49:49 PM »
I have about 4 different packing lists...depending on where I'm going if I'm taking the horse etc.

Here's Buddy's (horse) packing list
TACK:
Bridle, reins, breast plate
 Saddle
 Pad
 Crop
 Saddlebag/Water Bottle
 Spares of each
FOOD:
 Hay
 Grain
 Salt lick
 Water
OTHER:
 Cookies
 Haybag
 Flyspray
 Flymask
 Halter
 Blanket
 Bucket
 Easy boots
 Stake & picket line
 Electric Fence
 PoopFork
 Broom
 Brushes & Stuff

All goes in the trailer

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 09:07:58 PM »
Ok...here is my "comfort" camp...no wonder I need a tiny towel nothing else will fit after all this junk! haha

We've got Buddy's motor home (aka trailer)
Ice chest...adult beverages and food
Oh I can see my table between the truck and trailer..behind the tent is the bbq. I really like it as it is mobile...just bulky.

The tent has a canopy built in when I feel like putting it all togeather which is showing here.

I can hear Del saying "I can't believe all the junk she drags along"  :D

We do have a great time though. And believe it or not I am capable of just taking what I can pack on the horse. But that is not a comfortable camp.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 09:19:26 PM »
Here's something I want to add to my "comfort" camp.

http://www.kyhorse.com/store/groomingequipment/washwand.htm

The washwand for horses...I discovered this at our last mounted match. Fun for all on a hot day. You do have to have a hose and water spicket...which most of our mounted shoots you can find..Not always a shower for people so this was a great item. After a hot day in the dust and sun the cold shower was great. (Even though I opted for a shirt and shorts) I liked this better than just being hosed off too.

This would probably be good for dog baths too, there probably is something out there like it....

The wash wand is a multi use tool I think...could take it in the tent if you needed some protection...course with CAS folks everyone is probably packin' something so this would be a last resort most likely.  :D

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 10:36:05 PM »
Here's my "Luxury" camping:

click to enlarge:

My sister's idea of "Luxury" camping.  She and her husband only (not an entire crew of people) head out with a large trailer 1/4 full of firewood and the remainder full of the plastic totes that you see in the picture and other junk. ::)

Their tent is not even up yet...

click to enlarge

Oh, and her husband feels the need to place as many nails in a tree as possible to hang everything up, including the hammer.  He wasn't done yet when this picture was taken, but you can already see that he had been busy hammering away.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 10:49:03 PM »
City folks :o  If I gonna do that much work I'll stay at home ;)
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 05:33:10 AM »
With the gas prices as they are, my camping experiences may be confined to my backyard.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 08:51:29 AM »
Trinity,
After seeing your sisters campsite I don't feel like I drag so much stuff.  :)

I did forget to meantion when I take all the stuff in the picture we have 2 people at least. The main tent (without canopy) is pretty easy to manage but I usually opt to just put the cot in the trailer (after I clean it out of course) if I'm traveling with just Buddy...he sleeps outside in a nice corral or on his highline.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com