GENERAL TOPICS > Tall Tales

Beer Drinkin', Racin' 'n Football

<< < (3/876) > >>

Texas Lawdog:
Arcey,  I got a 24 pack in my other fridge.  You are right about those Ford heads.  Dad was a Ford man all the way, he was service manager at our Ford dealer from 53 to 57. He still liked Flatheads.  He built me a 53 Merc engine that I put an old 52 Ford 2 door Wagon.  It was a sleeper. It had Eldebrock heads and a Eldebrock 2 carb intake.

Arcey:
When the old man passed I had to clean out everything so I could sell the house. Found a cardboard box in the rafters in that little shack he called a garage. Had a pair of Offenhauser heads and an intake for two singles for a flathead. He sold the modified, 97, when I was born, don’t know why he kept ‘em.

Then again, I gottah pair of finned aluminum Cobra valve covers, an Offenhauser four barrel intake ‘n a Mallory distributor for a 289 in a cardboard box in the attic. Took ‘em off my first convertible before I sold it. I’ve lugged ‘em to two apartments and three houses. Always thought I’d build me a hot rod ‘n I’d want ‘em.

Ozark Tracker:
 ;D  don't ya just hate packing around them auto parts   ;D   got a stock 396/375 hp chevy engine out in the well house that I've been packing since 1988,  keep thinking one of these days.  got the 67 Chevelle it came out of, been packing it too.
when we moved over here to Arkansas, I sold off a 57 Chevy and a 72 Corvette, but packed the Chevelle with me. course I've owned the Chevelle since 1983,

another one of them projects ;D

Advertising:

Texas Lawdog:
Them cars is habit formin.  Dad was a self taught mechanic.  He built a wrecker and started a wrecking yard when he came back from WWII.  I was born about a year or so later. In 53 he went to work for the Ford dealer at home. He stayed there till 57.  He went to Omaha to Inland Radiator and learned how to repair radiators. He did that until 70, when he was elected Sheriff. We kept the Garage and Radiator shop until he passed away in 78.  I inherited 2 57 Ford Rancheros, a 59 Ranchero, and a 63 Ford Country Sedan that has been in our family since Oct.of 62. Maybe someday I'll have enough time and money to restore two of the Rancheros and the 63 Ford.

Four-Eyed Buck:
I agree, the Fords have always had breathing problems with the Windsor heads. My favorite engine to tinker with was the 289, though. Had two Mustangs that I "masssaged" a little over the years. Nothing overly drastic, dual exhausts, dual point centrifical advance distributors( one original Ford, the other ACCEL), some rear end gears, 500CFM Holley racing two barrels with manual chokes( these were somewhat bigger than the standard factory four barrels of the time), some timing adjustments, and in one a B&M shift kit( dang thing would get rubber in first and shifting into second under the whip! ::) ;D)These mods would wake up the Windsor's some, let them breathe easier/deeper and still made them streetable and not too hard on gas as long as you behaved yourself ::) During that period I was raising the kids so had to keep things fairly economical.....................Buck 8) ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version