Author Topic: got some new boots !  (Read 21789 times)

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
got some new boots !
« on: June 18, 2011, 12:44:28 AM »
finnaly got some new boots.  Black squareish toe, normally $60 at W-mart on sale for $35.  I think I will go back and get a brown pair.

I guess I need to cut the harness strap off to look right for our time period.  any Ideas?

Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
Re: got some new boots !
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 04:26:46 AM »
I used to wear those style of boots quite a lot myself. Dingo Harness boots. Very comfortable. NCOWS would definately make you cut off the harness. I did it to my last pair but it broke my heart. I like the way they look like with the harness on them.

You got them for a great price.

Here is what I just bought myself a month back. I've got fat cafes or calves and needed a boot that would fit my legs. This did the trick and they look period correct. They are comfortable too.

http://www.fortwestern.com/store/product.php?productid=408399&cat=216&page=1

Got the black pair.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 07:49:37 AM »
I used to wear those style of boots quite a lot myself. Dingo Harness boots. Very comfortable. NCOWS would definately make you cut off the harness. I did it to my last pair but it broke my heart. I like the way they look like with the harness on them.

You got them for a great price.

Here is what I just bought myself a month back. I've got fat cafes or calves and needed a boot that would fit my legs. This did the trick and they look period correct. They are comfortable too.

http://www.fortwestern.com/store/product.php?productid=408399&cat=216&page=1

Got the black pair.

RickB, I have been looking at those ... how do they run on the size?  

Bow View, I agree with RickB, I always liked that style, but unfortunately, you will need to remove the straps.  That is a heck of a buy.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:47:13 AM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 08:54:26 AM »
RickBB,

I bought the Fort Frontier on even 'though., for the 1850s two-piece toes and shafts were not normal for the West ...

I got around it by buying Will Ghormley's Spur Straps patterns and made a set of buckleless one piece spur straps that hides the keyhole and joint perfectly ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 09:37:58 AM »
Well I guess the straps have to come off.  What is best to use to cut thestrap cleanly?  sharp knife, razor blade?  I'll have to see how well I can get them to shiine. 
they are Wrangler brand and I usually wear 10 to 10.5 size.  I need a wide boot or actually a tall instep boot.  the pair I bought ae 10s.  I tried on a different style they have and the 10.5 was to tight.  I think I will get a brown one also
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 08:34:07 PM »
Bow View:

Good job in procuring them boots!!

Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 09:04:43 PM »
TW, I usually wear a size 9 so I got a size 9 and they fit perfectly. Very comfortable. The soles aren't period correct but everything else appears to match some boots I have that are period correct mule ear boots. My last boots weren't big enough for my calves so I bought these. My other mule ear boots cost 200 dollars. The new ones cost 130 or so. Great buy for me. I recommend them highly.
Rick.

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 08:44:18 AM »
TW, I usually wear a size 9 so I got a size 9 and they fit perfectly. Very comfortable. The soles aren't period correct but everything else appears to match some boots I have that are period correct mule ear boots. My last boots weren't big enough for my calves so I bought these. My other mule ear boots cost 200 dollars. The new ones cost 130 or so. Great buy for me. I recommend them highly.

Rick, thank you for that information - I will be grabbing up a pair in July.  Would have already, but was not sure on the sizing.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 12:45:28 PM »
One thing more. Their customer service was great. They had put my order on backorder and I inquired about a different style and/or color of the same style I had chosen and she contacted me stating that she would contact their other stores to find the ones i wanted. I explained that I needed them for a upcomming shoot and she said they would put a rush on them if I needed them faster. I was very impressed by their level of customer service. You don't see that much these days.
Rick.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 02:55:25 PM »
The Fort "Old West" folks are the best, I am sorta biased though, because the 2 guys are personal friends of mine.  I've got 2 pair of their boots and I would not trade them for anything.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 08:03:36 AM »
Yep, the guys in the old west shop at the fort are the best. Any time I'm in Lincoln I try to stop in just to say "Hi".
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 04:35:40 PM »
BV Haymaker, if your wife has a seem ripper - you might see if you can do it with those.

As long as those straps are ajoined with seperate seems - ie not attached to other seems - the seem ripper is that way to go it gets rid of the stitching without damaging anything else.

After you wear them for awhile no one will ever be able to tell because the small holes left by getting rid of the stitching will close up.

I have used seem rippers quite a bit.  That was the way I turned 45-70 McKeever pouches into 10-12 guage shotgun McKeever pouches at no extra cost to me!  All I did was seem rip every other stitched section and all of the sudden those 45-70 loops turned into shotgun loops.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 05:06:53 PM »
I guess I need to cut the harness strap off to look right for our time period.  any Ideas?
I had a pair that I took the straps off> (In fact I think they came from Wal-Mart)
I took a very sharp knife and cut the vertical strap as close to the sole as possible. I did this from the inside out so that I was cutting away from the boot.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 08:09:45 PM »
I had a pair that I took the straps off> (In fact I think they came from Wal-Mart)
I took a very sharp knife and cut the vertical strap as close to the sole as possible. I did this from the inside out so that I was cutting away from the boot.

I did just that this morning.  I used a VERY sharp knife made by Nebraska's own Roger Gastner. love that knife.  Can't even tell where the straps were attatched but the rivits did leave some rub marks on the leather.  some black polish and a good shine should take care of that. 

I don't think myh wife knows what a seam rippper is. 

Now I can't just throw these nice starps and metal rings awayl.  What to make from them? 

I've been wearing them some to get broke in before the muster. 
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 10:06:41 PM »
Bow:

If'n your wife don't know what a seam ripper is----I'll wager she knows what a scalpel is.
hehehehehehe

Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 10:18:10 PM »
Bow, j&p cycles just sent me their email add listing boots just like you showed here, but they are asking $119.00 for their boots. You got a great deal. ;D
Rick.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 12:02:07 AM »
I am going to El Paso this weekend.  Fly out 09:30 friday.  Will stop at CA Boots and see what fits my foot.  The old metal shoe sizer at Sportsman's Wearhouse says between 10 and 10.5 B.  Most boots are way to wide, offer no support and end up with really sore feet at the end of the day.  Hope I am a standard size so I dont have to pay extra for custom fitted.

Will let you know how things turn out.  In the mean time 9.5 regular navy boon dockers work ok for a close to period shoe.  Get them for $50 out of a chicago army navy store (on-line)
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 11:34:58 AM »
Good job on procuring those boots!  For your info, they happen to be about the height of what is known as the Artillery Boot.  They aren't the full 17"-18" height of the more traditional Cavalry boot.  For $35!  Good on ya!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 12:24:21 AM »
Bought another pair in brown.  eeryone, go check the Clearance area in the shoe dept at you local W-mart for the Wrangler brand boots.  I wore the black ones all weekend walking all day Saturday and my feet show no ill effects. 
They do like to collect the dust though.

Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline Capt. Montgomery Little

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 10:30:10 PM »
Bow View,  Excellent procurement job. You are to be commended. One thing about dusty boots...they get that way only by two methods, ie. either wearing them or not wearing them. Hopefully your method is the more pro-active of the two. That's all I have to say about the subject.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com