Author Topic: Vintage Ideal #42499 Mould in the Uberti Henry .44WCF...  (Read 1043 times)

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1637
Vintage Ideal #42499 Mould in the Uberti Henry .44WCF...
« on: October 06, 2022, 11:46:33 PM »
      Greetings, All!

Some years back, I'd acquired an Ideal #42499 ( "Express Bullet" ) HP Mould very cheaply, because it was missing its Hollow Point Pin; I believe that I acquired it from Ron Peterson's in Albuquerque, NM a few years before he went online only. Dad and I got on his Lathe and cobbled together a very crude, but effective, HP Pin.
   These bullets, with my alloy ( 12BHN ), drop from this mould at about .426"; although I gave little hope for any acceptable performance in my Uberti Henry, I will recount my experiences here.
   I had made up three different loads, using my newly acquired keg of Hodgdon's TITE-Group, centered around a standard charge of 6.0 grains. For Primers, I used CCI #300 Large Pistol. All cast bullets, regardless of cast size, were run through my Lyman 4500, using Lyman ALOX and a .429" Luber/Sizer Die. The Accurate #430-215C ( 15BHN ) was fully sized, while the RCBS #44-200FP ( 12BHN ), with an as-cast size of +/- .4285" received slight "kissing" from the Die. The Ideal #42499 was, of course, untouched, and merely lubed.
   The Accurate and RCBS Bullets performances were so similar to my previous Alliant Unique ( 7.8 grains ) loads as to make further comment unnecessary; the keg of Hodgdon's TITE-Group was a good investment.
   The Ideal #42499 bullets were cast from a "potluck" of range-scrap and a small handful of "cowboy action" factory bullets ( 20BHN ) to bring the melt up to 12BHN; again, these were run through a .429" Luber/Sizer Die, with a lubricated weight of 198 grains. The charge of 6.0 grains of TITE-Group was dropped from an RCBS "Little Dandy" Powder Measure, using a #08 Tumbler. This powder charge Tumbler was verified, using an RCBS RangeMaster Electronic Scale. Utilizing R-P Brass and CCI #300 Primers, bullets were seated to 1.585" OAL. Bullets were CAREFULLY crimped into the origin of the ogive, and since the case mouth was gently pressed into the bullet metal, I had no ( "Known"! ) issues with the bullets "telescoping" into the cases. I must in fairness add that I loaded only four cartridges into the magazine, along with my wooden dowel spacer, and one into the chamber, for my Five Shot String.
   If my photos do not download: my typical "Ten Rod" group would yield three or four bullets in roughly 1" to 1-1/2" groups ( ! ) with one or two anomalous flyers about five inches away. Did I experience some "telescoping" with these .426" bullets? Did this cause the flyers? ?Quien Sabe? Otherwise, the performance of these "undersized" bullets was a pleasant surprise.
   Upon further trial with the Ideal #42499, I'm tempted to NOT run my cases through the Expander Die, but to flare the case mouth by other means, in order to increase the case neck bullet tension. Another option would be to size the #42499 Bullets down to .423" or .424", and paper-patch them with #9 Onion-Skin 100% Cotton Bond up to .428" / .429".

Hmmm...!

M.T.M.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Re: Vintage Ideal #42499 Mould in the Uberti Henry .44WCF...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 06:26:49 PM »
 Hey mtm, have you considered powder coating? I have PC'd some 303 brit's up from .311 to .314, and they shot good.

coffee's ready,  Hootmix.

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1637
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 12:29:54 AM »
      Greetings, Slamfire!

I have never powder-coated bullets before, but a shooting-buddy of mine does, and he's offered to do so. It's a rather clever "patching" technique, and definitely an option.
   Several weeks ago, I casted up another handful of HPs, but a little harder ( 12BHN ); these I measured the following day at .4285". Desperately awaiting a calm day to target them, and try them on water jugs...!
   Incidentally, I used up the remaining .426" Loads in my Uberti "Remington NMA Cartridge Conversion" .44WCF; with chamber throats around .433", and .420" Bore / .430" Groove, I was able to manage 2.5" groups at 15yards. With a new prescription for Shooting Glasses, I believe that I could do far better...

M.T.M.
               11-08-22

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:40:26 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com