Author Topic: 1866 tight action  (Read 739 times)

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
1866 tight action
« on: January 02, 2023, 10:00:37 PM »
I recently changed the barrel out on my 66 carbine due to circumstances. And now the action is tight when the bolt closes onto a round. I can't seem to find something similar. Any suggestions

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1213
Re: 1866 tight action
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 11:35:47 PM »
Does it do this with ammo only or also when empty?  It sounds like you don't have enough (any) headspace.  And I think that means that the barrel needs to have material removed from the rear face and then re-chambered.  Some of the makers of short-stroke toggle links have sets that are longer to correct rifles that have too much headspace.  I don't know if they also make sets that are shorter for the opposite reason.  I haven't heard of those, but maybe? 

Maybe one of the 'smiths on this site who actually knows these things will chime in

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 06:09:23 AM »
PLUS ONE for Abilene

Headspace is bad.  Optimum headspace is .004 on a chambered cartridge.  Material needs removed from the breach end of the barrel or the face of the Breach Block.

People are Hazardous to yer Health

PS: I forgot to include, Pioneer Gunworks and Cowboys an Indian Store can provide Short Stroke links of different lengths.  OOPS

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:24:47 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com