Author Topic: 8mm Mauser  (Read 579 times)

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
8mm Mauser
« on: December 11, 2022, 09:04:32 AM »
I recently began shooting a Persian Mauser my wife bought for me some years ago.  I have 150 gr, 170 gr, and 200 gr. spitzers on hand, and am mainly looking to duplicate the military load.  Any advice out there would be highly appreciated :)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: 8mm Mauser
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 09:21:44 AM »
See if you can find Mil Spec for Persian ammo and load as close to that as possible including bullet weight so the load shoots to the sights.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 04:10:29 PM »
The Persian surplus I can recall was loaded to the German s.S Patrone specs: a 198gr spitzer at ~2,500 fps from a 24" barrel. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:18:15 PM »

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 08:52:35 AM »
Thanks- my Cartridges of The World had a 150 gr. going 2850 fps

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 03:30:25 PM »
Another question for more knowledgeable folks... I've got the thing disassembled, is that a linseed oil finish?  Right now I've got some lemon oil on it- should I do something else?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 05:37:33 PM »
I like Skidmores Wood Preservative its same product as the Leather Preservative.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 08:44:14 AM »
had to go into town yesterday, so I picked some of that up- thanks for the heads up :D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 10:25:52 AM »
Likely non-boiled linseed oil, aka has had no driers added, will harden but can take years.   Most common military wood finish gave decent protection, cheap because it was a by-product of the linen industry.  Stocks were put in a vat of it that was hot for a hour or so.  (AKA it wasn't boiled, adding the metallic driers required it being boiled, hence the names.)   Boiled is what us that use it for finish use, with a lot of work boiled is the prettiest walnut finish out there.   Takes one or two months to do it right do most people use Tung or others.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 11:16:03 AM »
Likely non-boiled linseed oil, aka has had no driers added, will harden but can take years.   Most common military wood finish gave decent protection, cheap because it was a by-product of the linen industry.  Stocks were put in a vat of it that was hot for a hour or so.  (AKA it wasn't boiled, adding the metallic driers required it being boiled, hence the names.)   Boiled is what us that use it for finish use, with a lot of work boiled is the prettiest walnut finish out there.   Takes one or two months to do it right do most people use Tung or others.

Used to be the old saying:
Apply linseed oil by hand or soft cloth once a day for a month, once a month for a year, once a year to refresh finish.

Using hands helps to soften rough hands . . .
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 09:04:17 AM »
You are probably familiar with Persian Mausers, if not, they are generally in real good condition (most were never fired, as I understand it).  Anyway, the finish is a real glossy one- something that just doesn't look like a linseed oil finish to me- Going from what you have written (soaked an hour in non boiled linseed oil) and from my own experience (I have quite a few rifles from that era) I am just not sure it is a linseed finish.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com