Author Topic: Ooopsie!  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Ooopsie!
« on: March 10, 2010, 03:29:39 PM »

Home / News / State and Regional News / Montana News
Superintendent accidentally discharges muzzleloader in class

ROB ROGERS Of The Gazette Staff | Posted: Monday, March 8, 2010 10:19 pm

Dwain Haggard’s high school history lesson on Friday backfired.

Haggard, who used to be a Civil War reenactor, was showing the five students in Reed Point High’s American history class his replica antique black powder muzzleloader when the gun fired and lodged a ball in the front wall of the classroom.

“I can’t explain how it was loaded,” Haggard said.

Haggard has been district superintendent since 2007, and each year he’s visited the high school’s American history class to show off his Civil War-era equipment. When he shows the muzzleloader, he finishes the demonstration by firing a cap, which makes a small “pop” when he pulls the trigger, he said.

But this time, “when I dropped the hammer on it, to all of our surprise, it went off,” he said.

Jake Bare, a junior at Reed Point High, was in the class when the gun fired. He said it caught everybody off guard.

When Haggard pulled the trigger, there was a loud bang,and the room filled with smoke, Bare said.

“Holy criminy, you just shot the map,” he said.

Indeed, the ball shot through the “o” in the word “North” at the top of the map and lodged in the wall, Haggard said.

The gun was never pointed at the students once Haggard inserted the cap. He was facing away from the students, pointing the gun toward the ceiling when he pulled the trigger.

The students were “never really in danger,” he said.

After settling down the students and dismissing class, Haggard said, he called the school board to explain what happened and then called the parents of the five students.

“None of them were upset with me,” he said.

One father, he said, laughed until he cried.

The board and his staff have been supportive, he said.

He described the incident as “bitter irony.” As superintendent, Haggard has worked with the school to increase safety at the school, updating its drills and the training staff receives.

Contact Rob Rogers at rrogers@billingsgazette.com or 657-1231.

Posted in Montana, Top-headlines on Monday, March 8, 2010 10:19 pm

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ooopsie!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 05:00:33 PM »
This would have a different spin, if it had happened in a school in a metropolitan area.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline 1SG Yoak

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 08:44:39 PM »
A stupid, careless ND, from someone who should know better. Bad news.   :(
First Sergeant J. R. Yoak

GAF#731; SASS#45295; BOLD#432

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:01:45 AM »

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:44:13 PM »
T'aint funny, McGee. ADs are serious business. Guy could have put that ball through a student or had it bounce into one. Not a laughing matter at all. He should be thankful he wasn't only not fired, but not arrested as well!
This would have a different spin, if it had happened in a school in a metropolitan area.
EXACTLY. Heck, I was asked to bring several WW2 wqeapons to a display at a high school in a larger town a few eyars back, had written permission from the school, the school board and full cooperation of local cops. Yet, a self-appointed female school nazi tried to deny me entry, even after the principal told her to step aside.

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 06:29:46 AM »
Oooooooh crap.  Maybe doing this at the local rifle range might have been a better course of action.  I feel bad for the guy, kind of defines the old adage about the best laid plans of mice and men.  

This putz on the other hand... http://www.viddler.com/explore/failblog/videos/318/ I have no sympathy for.  There is a longer version where he tries to play it off as intentional to show the kids how accidents can happen.  All while limping around.  Oh yeah... relieved of duty, effective immediatly.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 07:53:59 AM »
That guy forgot that there was a live round in the chamber. The pistol will still fire without the Magazine being in it.  He seemed to trying to impress the students and forgot about basic weapon safety.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline 1SG Yoak

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 08:17:38 AM »
That guy forgot that there was a live round in the chamber. The pistol will still fire without the Magazine being in it.  He seemed to trying to impress the students and forgot about basic weapon safety.

And still a stupid mistake, from someone that should have known better. Especially considering where he was. There isn't any excuse for errors like this.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 12:20:26 PM »
A weapon needs to be holstered at all times, unless it is a necessity.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »
All I can say is "Dummy, check the damned muzzle-loader with the damned ram rod to see if there is a damned load in the damned gun. "
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 11:10:52 PM »
Looks to me like we've got a DELTA SIERRA

As opposed to a "delta sierra," "Delta Sierra," etc.

This particular teacher probably needs a session with R. Lee (or an appropriate substitute) on the correct handling of firearms.

Responsible firearms ownership is under enough pressure without really stupid mistakes hitting the national consciousness.

SQQ

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 09:25:57 AM »
I've done dozens of school demos on the colonial period with a flintlock musket.  Given the paranoia of guns in today's society (not helped by the incident described above), I always get written permission from the principal so that there is no question about bringing a firearm on school grounds.

I usually do a "flash in the pan" (if the principal allows) for the kids but I check, double check, and recheck three or four times to make sure there is absolutely nothing in the barrel.  I even do a firearm safety talk to the kids (treating all fireams as loaded, muzzle direction, etc) and show them how to check to see if a muzzleloader is loaded. 

There is absolutely no excuse for what this clown did.  Not only was he dangerous but he does gun owners no favors.

US Scout
Brig Gen, GAF

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 05:30:29 AM »
My question is, if he used the rifle for re-enactments, why was a minie' ball loaded in it?

Even if used for a live fire competition or hunting, there should have been safety protocols followed.
I'm curious whether it was a case where the rifle had been loaned out and not properly checked after being under someone else's care and control?
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline 1SG Yoak

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 06:56:01 AM »
My question is, if he used the rifle for re-enactments, why was a minie' ball loaded in it?

Even if used for a live fire competition or hunting, there should have been safety protocols followed.
I'm curious whether it was a case where the rifle had been loaned out and not properly checked after being under someone else's care and control?

Perhaps. Regardless, he was responsible for it and didn't do his duty.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com