Author Topic: Older Italian Henry?s parts compatibility?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Older Italian Henry?s parts compatibility?
« on: February 28, 2020, 02:02:22 PM »
In looking at purchasing older Italian production Henry?s should there be a concern with parts availability that are compatible with these older rifles? By older I would say pre 2000. I have read in the past that some changes in dimensions have been made in the Henry and 1866 operating components.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: Older Italian Henry?s parts compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 02:43:26 PM »
I do know that the receivers are different on older Uberti Henry rifles.  In the last 15 years or so, they lengthened the the threaded portion on the barrel that screws into the receiver, so the front of the receiver is longer.  I know because I tried to mount an early Uberti 1860 44-40 barrel on a modern Uberti.  I believe ther have been a few minor changes also inside.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 03:03:16 PM »
parts for older Henry's are not supported other than maybe on someone else's gun..

as TL said the receiver is shorter

also the carrier- ,bolt  - firing pin  - barrel - lever none of which will interchange

if the old is Henry is in good shape and its plan is lighter use and the price was ....well very low  :-\   ,,then ,,,naught Id sill pass
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:13:00 AM »

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 04:52:53 PM »
Thanks Tuolumne & Major? that is what I needed to know. I would not want to wind up with even a cheap wall hanger.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 06:40:11 PM »

PLUS ONE too What them other's said

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 09:39:48 PM »
If you're  looking at a specific gun, you didn't  mention what brand.  You'll  find Navy Arms and Uberti.  Back in the mid 80's Allen Arms in Santa Fe was importing the Uberti.  I traded for one new in the box, back in 1986.  I had it engraved with an original Samuel Hoggson pattern and then antiqued it.  Looks like 150 year old Henry in fine but used condition.  Allen Arms eventually became Cimarron  Arms.

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 06:22:00 PM »
honestly i'd still buy it. a cheap henry is a cheap henry. back in '16 i almost bought an American Arms henry for 600$, wasn't fast enough and lost out on it. still wish i bought it. a well taken care of gun will outlive most if not all of its owners. just depends on if you're tossing it around and stuff.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 09:47:00 AM »
I agree with Native Shootist.  While I love my HRA 1860, I would have no qualms about shooting any Uberti 1860.  I have been shooting CAS since 1994, and in all those years have only had to replace the loading spoon on an Uberti 1866. Most of that time (probably 20 years worth) was Uberti 1860 or 1866. The rest was Marlin, Chiappa Spencer, or original 1873.

When I had an original 1873 for a couple years, I replaced links, firing pin, and two extractors.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Speedballalice

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 08:35:08 PM »
I have a Henry from the early 90s and a blued iron frame Henry from the early 2000s. Both are Navy Arms guns. I can say the tang screws are different and the follower has a rubber insert on the later gun.
I ordered some new tang screws for the older gun and they were the normal tapered head. The ones on the gun were squared off on the underside. The holes in the tang were different also and would no let the newer screws sit flush. Just another observation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com